Selecting data from a database data file

Hey Everyone,

I have question around the best way to do something. I have two different data files I will be using for a test. One of the data files will contain an asset serial number and be static data for my test to loop through. The other will be a database source and will contain a number that gets generated from the asset (changing data). I need to select this number to input into a web based field based on the serial number.

The database source looks like the below.
Serial|CommissionDateTime|CommissioningStatusMessage
218291141|2019-05-20|0488
217039693|2019-05-17|2930
ext.|ext.|ext.

The field im interested in inputting into the form is the final “CommissioningStatusMessage” and the lookup is the “Serial”. I will have the serial in my test data file that will loop through my test cases. Any idea on how to achieve this?

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi,

which data type used?

1 Like

Hey Timo,

Im not sure I follow the question. in relation to what?

As an example if I have a Serial number in my test data file of “218291141” I would like it to lookup on the SQL Server database table to return “0488”. I have thought about a way of doing this its not preferred. I could create a SQL Server database file for each asset serial that will only ever return 1 row. Then I create a test case for each asset I would be performing testing on as the assets will be static. I would then have a different database source query for each test case. The implication of this is I will need to maintain 4 or 5 test cases instead of just 1.

I realise what i’m asking is a bit complicated and may not mean much to everyone here so I will just progress down this path for now.

1 Like

Be careful, at this method, you can lose some data files. In this case, partition recovery by using proper software would be a good choice if you get a problem. I mean, if you need to recover some files out of it. Diskinternals software, can back and recover very deep information and files

1 Like

True, this almost happened to me :no_mouth: