OutOfMemoryError in console mode

Hi all,
We use Katalon Studio with Runtime Engine License and run it in azure DevOps.

My test get OutOfMemoryError in azure DevOps pipeline, but I can run it in my local / VM.
I saw the solution of changing katalon.ini file like as this… but I run my test in azure DevOps, so I think I cannot change the ini file in katalon task at the same time, right?

Is there any solution?

FYI : My test includes comparison of large screenshots. So it show OutOfMemory even if I reduced the number of test cases to run at once.
Anyway, it can be run in my local, so I think it is memory problem.

Error:

org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.InvokerInvocationException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Hi @rie.ota,
Please define VM arguments to increase heap size as instructed in the document at https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/execution-settings.html#allow-editing-jvm-parameters-in-execution-settings

2 Likes

Hi, @huynguyen,
I think the feature requires “Katalon Studio Enterprise” license, right?
We have KRE but not KSE…
I cannot edit Execution > Launch Arguments setting although I use 7.2.9.

Isn’t there another solution?

You do not need KSE license to increase the size of memory allocated for a KRE runtime.

On my windows 10 desktop, I installed Katalon Studio (not Enterprize) in %USER_PROFILE%\Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-7.2.1.
In that directory I find a plain text file named katalon.ini.

In the katalon.ini file, I can find a line like

-Xmx2048m

This means my test runs with maximum memory for JVM of 2048 Mega bytes.

With a plain text editor like VIM or Emacs, I can edit this line to

-Xmx4096m

or

-Xmx8192m

The appropriate memory size would depend on how much your tests want and how much physical memory size the machine has.

@rie.ota

You run your test on Azure DevOps. Hopefully you know how to edit the katalon.ini file and configure the machine image on which your tests run.

1 Like

Hi @kazurayam, and thank you for the easy to understand explanation.

I just tried to following procedure and failed with same OutOfMemory…something wrong?

log saids INFO: Total memory: 7167 MB

1. Run katalon task with “executable tests” (then KRE is installed to the Windows OS on azure DevOps pipeline)
  2. Next powershell task : replace “-Xmx2048m” to “-Xmx4096m” in katalonc.ini (← KRE use katalonc.ini instead katalon.ini)
  3. Run katalon task with pre-installed KRE
  4. OutOfMemory

Why not you replace to “-Xmx8192m” instead of “-Xmx4096m”?

sorry for the lack of information… I tried both of “-Xmx8192m” and “-Xmx4096m”

You can try even larger memory size, if the device suffice, for example

-Xmx16400m

In KS, you can monitor the heap status:

Looking at the heap status, you would find how much memory your tests actually require.

In which file you find this info? I have never seen this type of log.

In KS, you can monitor the heap status:

Thank you for the information, I will check it.

In which file you find this info?

It is from azure Pipeline. From the beginning of the katalon task in azure Pipeline, I saw the log and I think it is the machine info.

@kazurayam
I run my test suite with Heap Memory settings and I got following value. I think it is not big…
“ss” 2020-03-30 at 13.50.48

360M is not big at all.

You need to go back to the error log and try to find out at which stage of processing you got the error
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.InvokerInvocationException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space.

Could you share the log file here?

@kazurayam
Thank you. Actually the test is from yours (Thanks as always)
In the part of “ImageDiff_chronos”. I run my test with big screenshots… My test failed when examining 2.9MB png.
(Anyway it succeeds in my local and use only 360M)
stdout.log (9.5 KB)

Allocating sufficient size of -Xmx**** should resolve this issue.

Could you make sure you allocated -Xmx8192m?

You are right, this seems to have been resolved. (Just now, for the first time, it has passed in the pipeline.) Thank you for your kindness!!!

2020-03-30 03:49:44 - [TEST_CASE][ERROR] - Test Cases/Exam_capture/ImageDiff_chronos_biguser: Test Cases/Exam_capture/ImageDiff_chronos_biguser FAILED.
Reason:
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.InvokerInvocationException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
	at com.kazurayam.visualtesting.ImageDiffer.invokeMethod(ImageDiffer.groovy)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass.invokeStaticMethod(CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass.java:50)
	at ImageDiff_chronos_biguser.run(ImageDiff_chronos_biguser:13)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.run(ScriptEngine.java:194)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.runScriptAsRawText(ScriptEngine.java:119)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.runScript(TestCaseExecutor.java:337)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.doExecute(TestCaseExecutor.java:328)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.processExecutionPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:307)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.accessMainPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:299)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.execute(TestCaseExecutor.java:233)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor.accessTestCaseMainPhase(TestSuiteExecutor.java:169)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor.accessTestSuiteMainPhase(TestSuiteExecutor.java:142)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor.execute(TestSuiteExecutor.java:91)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.startTestSuite(TestCaseMain.java:157)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain$startTestSuite$0.call(Unknown Source)
	at TempTestSuite1585539994136.run(TempTestSuite1585539994136.groovy:36)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
	at ru.yandex.qatools.ashot.comparison.PointsMarkupPolicy.addDiffPoint(PointsMarkupPolicy.java:41)
	at ru.yandex.qatools.ashot.comparison.ImageDiff.addDiffPoint(ImageDiff.java:51)
	at ru.yandex.qatools.ashot.comparison.ImageDiffer.markDiffPoints(ImageDiffer.java:81)
	at ru.yandex.qatools.ashot.comparison.ImageDiffer.makeDiff(ImageDiffer.java:57)
	at ru.yandex.qatools.ashot.comparison.ImageDiffer$makeDiff.call(Unknown Source)
	at com.kazurayam.materials.imagedifference.ImageDifference.makeImageDiff(ImageDifference.groovy:47)
	at com.kazurayam.materials.imagedifference.ImageDifference.<init>(ImageDifference.groovy:38)
	at com.kazurayam.materials.stats.StorageScanner.makeImageDelta(StorageScanner.groovy:391)
	at com.kazurayam.materials.stats.StorageScanner$makeImageDelta$5.callCurrent(Unknown Source)
	at com.kazurayam.materials.stats.StorageScanner.makeMaterialStats(StorageScanner.groovy:276)
	at com.kazurayam.materials.stats.StorageScanner$makeMaterialStats$2.callCurrent(Unknown Source)
	at com.kazurayam.materials.stats.StorageScanner.makeStatsEntry(StorageScanner.groovy:173)
	at com.kazurayam.materials.stats.StorageScanner.scan(StorageScanner.groovy:137)
	at com.kazurayam.materials.stats.StorageScanner$scan$1.call(Unknown Source)

This stacktrace impies that the image comparison algorithm of AShot library is NOT designed memory-efficient. It may consume super large heap memory for pixel-wise comparison. — just I guess. All we can do now is to allocate bulky -Xmx****, I think.

1 Like