There are multiple problems - Here is a summary of the issues we’ve encountered since upgrading to KSE 7.9.0:
Having a report open and clicking Export > PDF fails to initiate an Export. This is not a problem in 7.8.2. Workaround: Right-click the Report file on the left. Click Export As > PDF. The PDF will the open.
The .jar file that needs to be in our Project’s Plugins folder (katalon-studio-report-plugin.jar) is actually an embedded file in the Katalon 7.9.0 application files. The user has to manually copy and paste it to their Project’s Plugins folder thus replacing the existing Basic Report .jar.
- The downloadable Basic Report files are all out of date and don’t work with KSE 7.9.0.
- The online documentation Katalon provides for resolving the issue appears to be out of date. I had to come up with the workaround below. Thus, need to update the info as appropriate. Below is what worked for us. Creating a Platform folder in the project’s Plugins folder results in an error message when Reloading the Plugins.
https://www.katalon.com/help-center/#plugins/where-does-katalon-store-plugins-and-how-to-install-them , no longer works with KSE 7.9.0
Background: On 1/25/21, our organization upgraded from Katalon Studio, i.e., KSE, 7.8.2 to 7.9.0. To do this, we signed into Katalon Store, downloaded the 64 bit edition of KSE, closed Katalon, went to the windows directory where Katalon’s application files are located, deleted the existing files, and pasted the downloaded KSE 7.9.0 files. Then, launched Katalon.exe. Then, successfully loaded our projects. For each project, we had to go to Project > Settings > Plugins and reselect “Local”. It had defaulted to “Katalon Store and Local”. Then, we clicked the Profile image at top right and reloaded Plugins. Got the message stating it was successful, that katalon-studio-basic-report-plugin.jar was successfully.
However, this .jar is no longer compatible with KSE 7.9.0. There are multiple problems, as stated below. There is a workaround.
- Katalon Studio Version: 7.9.0
- OS Version: Windows 10 Pro N Version 20H2 OS Version 19042.746
- Browser Version: Chrome Version 88.0.4324.104 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Closed Katalon Studio 7.9.0
2. We went to our project’s Plugins folder (See attachment) and deleted katalon-studio-basic-report-plugin.jar
3. Went to the KSE application files, copied C:\Katalon\Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-7.9.0\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\26\0.cp\resources\basic-report\katalon-studio-report-plugin.jar , and pasted it into our project’s Plugins folder. See attachment.
4. Re-Launched Katalon Studio 7.9.0.
5. Opened our project, i.e., that now has katalon-studio-report-plugin.jar.
6. At top left, went to Project > Settings > Plugins. Ensured that “Katalon Studio will download plugins from” = Local.
7. Clicked Profile icon at top right and Reload Plugins. Closed the Plugins popup stating it was successful.
8. Opened the Reports folder on the left. Opened and existing Report.
9. At the top, clicked Export > PDF. Click Select Folder with desired location selected.
a. Problem: The Export never initiated.
b. Desired Behavior: Export should initiate, complete, and open the PDF with the file now appearing in that location.
c. Workaround: Closed the report. On left nav, select the desired Report. Right Clicked + Export As > PDF. Clicked Select Folder with desired location selected. Good, the Export completed. The PDF opened and the .pdf appeared in the desired windows directory.
Export As PDF would still fail (get error message) if we had continued to use katalon-studio-basic-report-plugin.jar in the Project’s Plugins folder. It only works when the katalon-studio-report-plugin.jar has been found in above-stated Katalon application files and is manually copied to the Project’s Plugins folder.
The online documentation available above does not resolve it. We found that only the above-stated workaround works.
We also have selected PDF checkbox in Project Settings > Plugins > Report so than when a report is generated, we can locate it in the Windows directory where the report is saved to and open the PDF from there.
Expected behavior: In KSE 7.9.0, open a Report. Click Export Report > PDF. When you click Select Folder, the PDF export should initiate to that location and automatically open the PDF upon completion.