Katalon Studio is unresponsive

I have just downloaded version 8.2.0 for Windows, extracted it to a folder and started the program and it’s unresponsive. The app opens fine, I’m able to submit my credentials, but after that I can’t do anything. There’s no error message, but no matter where I click, I get the windows error sound, and nothing happens with the program at all. I can’t even click the X to close the program, I have to use Task Manager to quit the program. I’m not sure what’s going on. This has been a problem for me for a while, and I thought I’d give it another shot in the new year, but no dice.

In the attached log file, there are errors relating to eclipse (which I don’t have installed).
log-file.txt (7.6 KB)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I wanted to try out Katalon to see if it’s better than our current automation solution.

@duyluong @ThanhTo

@tfilion Those guys I called out are in Vietnam so a response might take an overnight wait. In the meantime…

Did you try a separate install? Leave the old non-functioning copy in place, download another one, unzip and run.

Make sure the app is NOT installed in a Windows protected folder – we don’t want to be chasing permissions issues.

Hi @tfilion

The content of log file is insufficient to troubleshoot the issue. Please help to specify your system information (OS, RAM,…) and share a recorded video with us.

You should also put Katalon Studio copy in a user folder such as C://User/[username]/Documents to prevent permission error as Russ mentioned in the previous comment.

So I just tried that (and I’m installing in my Downloads folder) and I get the same thing. Totally frozen application. :frowning:

Do you have an aggressive AntiVirus program installed? Have you tried disabling it briefly just to see if Katalon can continue?

Device name DESKTOP-2K59K6P
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎9/‎17/‎2021
OS build 19044.1466
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Not sure how helpful the recording will be, but it’s attached as well.recording1

I don’t have a separate AntiVirus installed, I’m using Windows Defender and it doesn’t look like I can disable it.

This may not help but it’s worth a shot…

Exclude the parent folder of your install. Open Settings, then…

No luck :frowning:

Oh well, we tried.

It has to be something on your machine.

Has Katalon ever worked for you on that hardware?

It did once. If I need to buy a new computer I’d love the excuse. :smiley:

@duyluong Has Katalon been tested recently on Windows 10 Home edition?

It’s starting to look like you’ll be needing that excuse :wink:

But seriously, I used KS on a laptop running Home ages ago, version 5 or so… it worked then but it’s quite a different animal today, so that doesn’t mean much.

Kick back, give @duyluong a few hours to check in (he’s in Vietnam so he’s out of sync by about 12 hours).

1 Like

Thanks for the assistance. :slight_smile: I’ll try and remember to check in over the weekend. And I’ll start shopping for a laptop while I wait. LOL

Pay the extra for Win10 Pro.

But repeat, I don’t know that that is the problem (yet).

Yah, the replacement would be a business computer. I just happened to have two laptops when I started my current position and used my older one strictly for work. Hense the Windows 10 Home. BUT Katalon did work on this machine a few months ago, so it might not be that. Or it could just be the version of Windows 10 Home. I know I’ve installed at least one update for the OS since the last time I tried Katalon.

@ThanhTo Any ideas ?

@tfilion

BUT Katalon did work on this machine a few months ago, so it might not be that.

If Katalon Studio works on your machine few months ago, please use the version worked for you before to open again.
If the worked version now cannot work, I think there is something about the proxy or firewall is blocking the activating process. You can notice the progress at the bottom right corner of Studio after activating. I watched your recorded video but I could not see this corner. Please help to confirm again.

I’m unsure what version of Windows 10 it was. I can try downgrading…but it’s just going to be a problem again when windows sends updates next week.

I recorded a new video and moved the recording window to see the bottom right corner, but there isn’t anything there.

recording1

I’m certain @duyluong was referring to the older version of Katalon, not Windows.

1 Like