Katalon Studio 8.0.0 much slower in opening and saving files

I meant to say the problem was “still” there.

Just for reference when you open a test case on your project, how many seconds does it take to load on average?

I don’t know. I have never calculated such “average” figure. But I can tell you an example. I have a Katalon Studio project publicly accessible on GitHub:

It contains 44 Test Cases. It contains 11 Groovy classes as Custom Keyword. I newly cloned the project into a temp directory on my Mac. Then I measured how long it takes to open the project in Katalon Studio 8.1.0. It took me 18 seconds until a Test Case script gets editable.

This project is publicly readable for anyone. You can try clone it into your machine and open to measure how long it takes on your machine.

Was it 18 seconds time to load the project OR once the project was loaded and then you clicked to open a test case it took 18 seconds?

given : Katalon Studios window is opened

start : click OK to select the project to open

end: a TestCase is loaded, ready to edit and run

it took me 18 seconds.

So your time frame includes the time it took to open the project. With me, once the project is opened and then I double click on a test case to open it for edit, it takes about 15-20 seconds just to open the test case. Then when I open any more test cases it takes the same 15-20 seconds.

Maybe that is the new standard time to open a test case once we moved to version 8?

before concluding, you should check the .log to see if any unusual messages are there.

@jmartinelli

Antivirus? Make sure you EXCLUDE your Katalon install folder, your project folder and any other katalon runtime folders from being monitored. ESPECIALLY so if you’re using MS Windows Defender.

Hi everyone,

We have a significant update on this in v8.2.0 recently, now:

  • Improved loading time in Katalon Runtime Engine. Results from our benchmarking tests show: 2x faster for big projects, 1.5x faster for small and medium projects.
  • Improved responsiveness and loading time for big projects in Katalon Studio. Results from our benchmarking tests show: renaming/opening test cases 2x faster, moving test cases 1.5x faster.
  • Reduced 12% memory consumption on average of Katalon Studio when opening/executing tests.
  • Reduced 30% memory consumption on average of Katalon Runtime Engine for long execution sessions.

Please first check out the release note and click here to download if you want to try out version 8.2.0 (stable).

@jmartinelli

Does the issue happen with Studio v7.9.1?
Do you have MS Windows Defender as the active Anti Virus?

We are agree that there is a little bit slower when opening test case in v8 compared with v7. The average time to open a test case in v8 should be between 1-5 seconds.

@kazurayam

In CI/CD environment, it is likely that a Katalon project is always freshly cloned out of the Source Code Repository (Git, Svn, etc) to the execution machine at every CI/CD cycle. This means the project is opened everytime for the first time . In this case user will notice “in CI/CD environment the project opens more slowly in v8.0 than v7.9, no improvement we got” . I am afraid that the “Opening large Projects much faster” at v8.0 will look poor for CI/CD environment.

Thanks for your valuable opinion. In v8.2.0, we did improve KRE to prevent loading custom keywords when opening project because we used DelegatingMetaClass to load custom keyword dynamically so it’s unnecessary to parse custom keywords again. The loading time now is more faster than the older versions. For more details, you can find it out in v8.2.0 release note.
.