[Katalon Runtime Engine] not support for Apple Silicon

Hi Katalon,
In this doc https://docs.katalon.com/docs/release-notes/katalon-studio/katalon-studio-release-notes-version-9.x

I see that KRE does not support for apple Silicon Chip.

In my case: I want to use KRE in my M1 mac.
Is there any way to do that?
When will KRE have a version for Apple Silicon Chip?

1 Like

I guess, you should just try running KRE on your M1 mac. It should run.

Why I guess so? See the following post by @duyluong of Katalon

I guess that Katalon Runtime Engine is built as a x86-64-based application software. On mac with Apple silicon chip, KRE run on top of a emulation layer named Rosseta 2. The Rosseta 2 provides an X86-inteface to the application. The x86-64 to Arm64 instruction translation makes the application run slow.

So KRE should run on Apple M1. However you should note that it could be slower than Katalon Studio for Arm64. Here is a performance comparison report: Katalon is slow to execute tests cases on MAC - #31 by kazurayam

1 Like

hi @kazurayam , tks for your response, but I can not start KRE 9.3.0 on my M1 Mac,
…Are you running it on M1 chip? You can refer to the link in my post.
Tks!

Show the error log, please.

I guess, type of the chip (Intel or M1) is not the reason of the fault you have now.

Hi @kazurayam ,
I can execute tests with KRE based on your answer on my m1, but I need to relate them to AWS Device Farm, because for iOS 17+ AWS will use Base Host on Apple Silicon.
→ So maybe KRE will not be able to execute in the above case.
Error Log:

Feb 20, 2024 10:27:20 PM com.kms.example.aw_ios.utils.ConsoleLogger info
INFO: Execute [sh, -c, "/private/tmp/devicefarm-workspace/execution-pza6vzf0/test-package-in050786/tmp/.katalon/9.3.0/Katalon_Studio_Engine_MacOS-9.3.0/Katalon Studio Engine.app/Contents/MacOS/katalonc" -noSplash  -runMode=console  -projectPath="/private/tmp/devicefarm-workspace/execution-pza6vzf0/test-package-in050786/tmp/My_Project"  -retry=0 -testSuitePath="Test Suites/AWS_TestSuite" -executionProfile=default -browserType=Remote -reportFolder=/tmp/devicefarm-workspace/execution-pza6vzf0/logs-a1hnhk95 -apiKey=b29e1a55-d0b9-4159-85c0-41740938b172 ] in /var/folders/wr/q71xs5157vj8twl0x6t0j3l00000gr/T/katalon-12014993042029103128

INFO: sh: /private/tmp/devicefarm-workspace/execution-pza6vzf0/test-package-in050786/tmp/.katalon/9.3.0/Katalon_Studio_Engine_MacOS-9.3.0/Katalon Studio Engine.app/Contents/MacOS/katalonc: Bad CPU type in executable

INFO: Finished executing sh -c "/private/tmp/devicefarm-workspace/execution-pza6vzf0/test-package-in050786/tmp/.katalon/9.3.0/Katalon_Studio_Engine_MacOS-9.3.0/Katalon Studio Engine.app/Contents/MacOS/katalonc" -noSplash  -runMode=console  -projectPath="/private/tmp/devicefarm-workspace/execution-pza6vzf0/test-package-in050786/tmp/My_Project"  -retry=0 -testSuitePath="Test Suites/AWS_TestSuite" -executionProfile=default -browserType=Remote -reportFolder=/tmp/devicefarm-workspace/execution-pza6vzf0/logs-a1hnhk95 -apiKey=b29e1a55-d0b9-4159-85c0-3213213213 . Exit code: 126.
1 Like

Quite likely, this is a bug. KRE seems to be no longer runnable on Apple Silicon. => @Elly_Tran

@trungnghia.ctn94

This user forum is not an appropriate place to discuss about the Katalon products’ bugs. The developers are not watching the threads here.

You are possibly an Enterprise licensee. So you should raise a ticket to Katalon through the official path: Support Portal .

1 Like

Thank you @kazurayam for sending @trungnghia.ctn94 the link to the Support Portal.

I would like to add that you can also send our Product Support team an email at: support@katalon.com.

I have also linked your topic to our Ask Katalon Anything thread for better visibility among our Product team members.

thank you, @albert.vu and @kazurayam