Katalon crashing post updating to Macos 13.0 Ventura

Yeah, our CSO is adamant about us installing any updates for our machines as soon as they roll out, for security purposes, if nothing else. My team never stood a chance of keeping a working instance of KS.

your imagination goes too far.
for years, i was my own ‘it team’
this means i was carefully test any proposed upgrades and i had the balls to say ‘no thank you boss, that will break the pipeline unless we find a better way’

just saying, sitting on your balls sometime simple does not help

in the mean time, you can blame anything, elon musk, planet alignments whatever

in addition of the above, any such issue can be easily avoided by properly using virtualization / containerization.

we leave in the cloud era today.
if your team is stuck at ‘using a certain device’ is your team fault, including the team lead.

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

@zackdjones your reply proves you have no clue

They have addressed this issue here, with a fix/release date of 11/11.

Hey! What is the ETA on 8.5.3.alpha? Thanks!

It is written here.

Hi there,

For those who encounter this issue on Intel-based macOS Ventura, please download the build via this link: Release v8.5.3.alpha · katalon-studio/katalon-studio (github.com). Below is the list of known issues in 8.5.3.alpha.

• Katalon Studio Quick Start Page is not loading.
  • Sending SOAP requests from SoapUI after importing is unstable.
  • “Uncaught ReferenceError: editor is not defined” message displayed after sending SOAP requests, and saving request header.
  • Minor UI issue while adding global variables to Execution Profile.

Please note that 8.5.3.alpha is a temporary solution. Earlier, we planned to merge it to 8.5.5 and now, we decided not to do that because the fix has significant side effects on the Katalon Studio application. Importantly, our developers found out Katalon Studio’s crashing on macOS Ventura (13.0) is due to an issue with WebKit (Refer to Crash with org.eclipse.swt.browser using Safari on macOS Ventura · Issue #452).

Both we and Eclipse team are still waiting for the response from Apple to make the final decision for the official solution.

Thanks

3 Likes

Verified working, I’m back up and running. Thank you.

1 Like

Quoting from the WebKit issue

Java GUI applications that use webkit are now failing for users that have upgraded to Ventura running on Intel. (M1/Rosetta users not affected.)
This will break a lot of apps that embed a browser into a java based desktop app, as google.com’s main page can’t be rendered without crashing.

Now @duyluong explained:

in 8.5.3.alpha.

• Katalon Studio Quick Start Page is not loading.

I presume that Katalon Studio used WebKit (internal browser) to display the Quick Start Page, which caused a crash on macOS Ventura on Intel box. As a countermeasure, our team suspended displaying Quick Start Page in the 8.5.3 alpha so that it would not crash.

— Am I right?

@kazurayam

Java GUI applications that use webkit are now failing for users that have upgraded to Ventura running on Intel. (M1/Rosetta users not affected.)
This will break a lot of apps that embed a browser into a java based desktop app, as google.com’s main page can’t be rendered without crashing.

I presume that Katalon Studio used WebKit (internal browser) to display the Quick Start Page, which caused the crash on macOS Ventura on Intel box. Therefore our team suspended displaying Quick Start Page in the 8.5.3 alpha so that it would not crash.

Yes, you are correct. We fixed a lot of views that uses internal browser in Katalon Studio.
The Start Page is the most complex one so we temporarily suspended displaying it on 8.5.3.alpha
However, this is a temporary build. If Apple still don’t response to this issue, we may will replace the internal browser with another solution.

Thanks

1 Like

Many of my Katalon projects generate index.html file. In KS 8.3.0, I can click it and see in the browser in Katalon Studio, which is good, as this:

How will it work in 8.5.3.alpha when I double click an index.html file within a Katalon project? Will it hang? or will it open the html file in a text editor? or just ignore the click?

I wouldn’t mind any, as you mentioned that 8.5.3.alpha is a temporary build.

I just wanted to inform you that I would require a feature to open HTML file by double click in Katalon Studio GUI to be restored. I do not necessarily require inner browser. Opening external browser by clicking html file is fine.

Hi @kazurayam,

I am one user of Katalon and I see that we can manage our exported data by using Export HTML report of Test Suite/Test Suite Collection (Katalon does not show directly HTML file) unless we export in in the project folder.

We are able to open report in HTML with browser (as common behavior) and it is treated as work around way when facing crashing on Katalon by double click on HTML file

FYI.

1 Like

Hi,
I encountered the the same issue: Katalon crash after updating MacOS Ventura.

Then I downloaded [ Katalon_Studio_Engine_MacOS-8.5.3.tar.gz ], but no response when click “Katalon Studio Engine”.

Is there any other operation I need do?
Look forward to your quick response, it’s a block issue for our team. Thanks a lot.

Please read the above posts carefully. You need 8.5.3.alpha.

1 Like

i found bug in alpha version. when i using object repository api , i can’t set body text json. and in response i can’t see body response too

The new Katalon Studio 8.5.5 release was supposed to solve the problems users are facing on macOS Ventura but it is also crashing. Could you please help?

1 Like

@duyluong Please let us know if the issue has been resolved ?