[Katalon 5.10.1] Freezes while running test cases until process killed

Issue: Katalon freezes while running test cases until process killed

Katalon 5.10.1 on Windows 64-bit

We have tests with hundreds of steps, which are contained in subprocesses and methods. All of our test cases are in test suites, but even executing a test suite with 10 tests causes Katalon to freeze, sometimes after the first test, sometimes a little later. The test suite will continue to run in the background and even generate a report, but Katalon never becomes responsive again and has to be killed.

We tried changing the log levels, but it has not helped. At this point, Katalon freezes several times a day and the rest of the team has not updated from older versions.

Primary log file error (repeated many times, but only most recent pasted here):
!SESSION 2019-01-16 15:32:44.025 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_181
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -data config

This is a continuation of log file C:\Katalon\config.metadata.bak_4.log
Created Time: 2019-01-17 12:57:19.811

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2019-01-17 12:57:19.812
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4559)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4448)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4419)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.error(Display.java:1262)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.internal_new_GC(Display.java:2715)
at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.TextLayout.computeRuns(TextLayout.java:241)
at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.TextLayout.getBounds(TextLayout.java:1631)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StyledCellLabelProvider.updateTextLayout(StyledCellLabelProvider.java:281)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StyledCellLabelProvider.measure(StyledCellLabelProvider.java:263)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.OwnerDrawLabelProvider$OwnerDrawListener.handleEvent(OwnerDrawLabelProvider.java:56)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4418)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1079)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1103)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1088)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Tree.sendMeasureItemEvent(Tree.java:4469)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Tree.findCell(Tree.java:2769)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Tree.WM_MOUSEMOVE(Tree.java:6931)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.windowProc(Control.java:4846)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Tree.windowProc(Tree.java:6074)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display.java:5110)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DispatchMessageW(Native Method)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DispatchMessage(OS.java:2552)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3822)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$4.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1121)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1022)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:150)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:693)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:610)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:148)
at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.internalRunGUI(Application.java:120)
at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.runGUI(Application.java:105)
at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.start(Application.java:63)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:673)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:610)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1519)

A couple of thoughts:

1.) Are you monitoring your machine’s resources during the run, to ensure sufficient memory? This usually isn’t a problem unless you’re running tests in parallel, or have a lot of other non-Katalon processes running as well.

2.) I assume here that you’re saying the Katalon Studio GUI freezes. Have you tried running the suite from the command line? Are the results any different?

1. I’m not running tests in parallel, although, that would be nice. I am running sometimes only a single test, othertimes a single test suite. I have lots of other processes running, but this has never been an issue and shouldn’t cause Katalon to lock up. My PC has 16GBs of memory with Katalon consuming about 1.5GBs and total system usage around 75%

2. Correct, Katalon Studio GUI freezes. I don’t run from the command line, but would assume it doesn’t freeze, because even after the GUI freezes the tests continue to run and a test report is even generated after. However, Katalon’s GUI never recovers even after the tests have finished and i have to force close it.

1 Like

I just noticed that this happens very consistently as soon as I enable “Show the escape sequences” in the Ansi Console settings of the Katalon Preferences popup.

1 Like

We’ve made some improvements in 6.1.0. If possible could you please help verify the issue?