IE plays back extremely slow

Windows 7 Professional
Chrome 64.0.3282
Firefox 52.6
IE 11

Chrome runs excellent both in Record & Playback.

I have performed all setup steps for IE https://www.katalon.com/resources-center/tutorials/configure-katalon-studio-web-automation-test-project/ including Protected Mode and new Key in registry as per the instruction above.

I have not succeeded using IE or Firefox.

The same script that runs in less than a minute in Chrome or Chrome headless takes 30 seconds per New Page, writing a name in a field is done like one letter each 2 seconds, it is terrible. The same IE in the same website runs very fast no problem at all.

PATH is updated and firefox.exe and iexplore.exe in cmd line start the browser. as well as geckodriver.exe

What can the reason be?

Firefox I have not succeeded to start with Katalon, it says browser not found.

Forgot to say I am executing a Katalon Studio 5.2.0 script in Chrome (OK) but not succeeding executing it in neither IE (extremely slow) or Firefox (Katalon times out with error: “FAILED because (of) Unable to open browser with url:”.)

I have succeeded to run the Katalon Studio script in Firefox by explicitly providing the PATH C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe in the input field of the ‘Open Browser’ command. BUT it takes almost 90 sec to open! When I start Firefox from the OS it opens in a split second.

A few times Katalon didn’t time out when opening the browser and in those rare cases it executed very fast, almost same speed as Chrome. But the long start time is unacceptable. It is a problem I must solve.

Anyone knows how this can be fixed or what the root cause is?

Regarding IE it didn’t open at all from Katalon when providing the PATH as above. When the address is not provided explicitly in Katalon I guess then it picks the IE location from the OS PATH, but on the other hand in those cases it executes painfully slow.

Please somebody help.

geckodriver is the latest version, the PATH is updated and program starts from cmd when executing geckodriver.exe in any DOS directory.

https://github.com/mozilla/geckodriver/releases/tag/v0.11.1

Hi Caudinho,

This is a strange issue. I would suggest re-installing Firefox and IE first, and then double check if there any processes running behind Firefox and IE because rarely any users report the same issue like you, so currently I have no ideals yet without investigations needed

OK Vinh, thanks a lot for your feedback, I’ll try that and see if it helps. have a nice day.

I am facing the same issue. My script is working fine in Chrome, but in IE and FF it is too slow. especially set text command.

@Vinh Nguyen
I am also facing same issue, IE is too slow.

@“Vinh Nguyen”: I have the same issue with IE.

I am also facing same issue with IE and Firefox script execution is very slow compared to Chrome.

I am also have the same problem. IE test runs extremely slow.

I have the same issue. For some reason the first run with IE11 executed very fast. All the consecutive attempts were awfully slow.

I have resolved issues with IE v11 performance when running Test Suites in Katalon Studio by deleting orphaned “iexplore.exe” processes in the Windows Task Manager…

My guess is the orphaned "iexplore.exe processes were caused by aborted / failed runs of Test Suites in Katalon Studio, which the Windows Operating System did not clean up for some reason…

Presumably this issue impacts Firefox browser processes as well…

Check to see if there are any orphaned “iexplore.exe” processes in the Windows Task Manager when you are experiencing performance issues…

2 Likes

Android Tanskanen said:

I have the same issue. For some reason the first run with IE11 executed very fast. All the consecutive attempts were awfully slow.

I am having this exact problem. IE was working perfectly fine until half way through yesterday and now I have to restart my computer to get IE to work once then slow down to a 1 minute delay between each step. Nothing has changed on my setup, I am on Windows 10 using the latest version of Katalon.

Check to see if there are any orphaned “iexplore.exe” processes in the Windows Task Manager when you are experiencing performance issues…

Even after deleting orphaned “iexplore.exe” processes in the Windows Task Manager, slowness is there for IE. Could you please suggest any method to over this issue?

Stab in the dark…

Try this from the shell/command prompt:

taskkill /f /im IEDriverServer.exe

If it works, create a batch script (you might as well add all the drivers) …

taskkill /f /im geckodriver.exe
taskkill /f /im chromedriver.exe
taskkill /f /im IEDriverServer.exe
1 Like

Whenever I’m facing this issue this code works fine for me

I’ve run into this same problem and none of the tips in this thread have helped- Set Text still runs super slow in IE11 for me.

1 Like

Set Text also runs super slow for me. I tried taskkill and it did not improve performance. I feel like it did not always behave this way. The scripts seemed to run fine (relatively) a few months ago.

Can you try older versions of IE to see if this is a problem relating to the web drivers ?

Cheers !