How to write hyphen minus in katalon

Perhaps that is the issue – but I am not certain.

@duyluong I think you have enough info now to setup a test bed for this scenario on Win10.

@pablo.alvarez duluong is about 8 -10 hours away from reading this so take a break and work on something else :wink:

2 Likes

See also the following thread where a Hyphen-minus like character confused us:

Please find my Groovy class StringUtil with a method escapeNonAsciiChar(String str), which prints any UNICODE characters in the str, which is NON-ASCII, in Hex-decimal representation. You should be able to mimic the StringUtil class in Katalon Studio and use the escapeNonAsciiChar method in your Test Case script to verify your string in doubt.

Hi!

I have created an example of your class and this is the result:

Using the hyper-minus “-” it doesnt print the unicode but when i use the " —" it prints the unicode.

But the em-dash is not valid for my windows app.

So now i am so confused.

Now it is clear to me.

You intended to type “-” (Hyphen-minus) but actually you typed " —" (EM-Dash) in the problem string. You mistyped. That’s all.

Please do not ask to us why YOU typed " —" (EM-Dash).

Sorry for my late but if i copy the hyper-minus “-” on katalon studio, still not working.

I dont know how to do to write the “-” on my desktop aplication.

Thank you!

I happened to find that Microsoft Word has a feature of “AutoFormat As You Type” > “Hyphens (–) with dash (—)”.

hyphens-dash

I was surprised, this option of Word is ON as default.

Your target Windows desktop application might be as evil as Word.

This is an increasingly common feature of text editing software – including this forum software, Discourse:

Description Typed Rendered
dash X-X X-X
en-dash X--X X–X
em-dash X---X X—X

@pablo.alvarez

You should keep the evils away from yourself.

You should write your test compromising with the target.

Once you understand that your target desktop application wants Dash, you can write a string data with Dash, not Hyphen, in your tests. Then your tests will pass.