How to Store response in a file?

Hoe can I automatically store response header and body in a file as a log for a test case? (I use Katalon in command line mode)

I do not think Katalon Studio supports automatically storing response and body in a file.

You need to write test case codes to write data into files for yourself.

Getting JSON body from the HTTP response is easy, writing a JSON into a file is also easy.

But it is not very easy to resolve paths for files appropriately for logging purpose.

I have just posted another tips:

This post presents an external java library named Materials. The Materials library makes it easy to resolve output file path in a well structured format like:

${projectDir}/Materials/${testSuiteName}/${testSuiteTimestamp}/${testCaseName}/${subdirs}/${fileName}

for example

./Materials/TS07_visit_a_web_site/20180919_132138/TC07_visit_a_web_site/1 CURA_Homepage.png

This format of path includes a directory layer of Timestamp . This makes it easy to store files chronologically just like Katalon’s Reports. It would be best suited for logging purpose.

I have written another post

I believe I have developed a useful tool for logging HTTP Response Header and Bodies.

EDIT in Sept 2021

I have abandoned the Materials library. I won’t maintain it any longer. Please do not use it.

Instead, I newly developed a library named materialstore. Using the materialstore library, I createded a demo project Visual Inspection in Katalon Studio. This sample Katalon Studio project includes a Test Case that

1. visiit “https://www.google.com/” and make search with key “takalon”
  2. take PNG screenshots of web pages, save them into local folder named <projectDir>/store
  3. take HTML page source of web pages, save them into local folder names <projectDir>/store
  4. generate a HTML Report in which you can see the screenshots and page sources.

If you can write a test case script that make a respose to webservice, the you should be able to write 2 lines:

String responseText = response.getContentText()
Material m = store.write(jobName, jobTimestamp, FileType.JSON, metadata, responseText)

This will be sufficient to store the JSON response into file.

If you do not like my solution, then a simplest way will be 2 lines of Groovy script:

File f = new File("filename.json")
f.text = response.getResponseText()
2 Likes