How to connect and get response from a server when sending request from katalon webservice

Hi @team,

I am sending a xml request by POST method to a portal. After sending the request, the response will display in portal. My scenario is to get the same response from portal to Katalon and verify the response id. Can anyone please help me how to achieve this scenario.

Hi,

Anyone can help?

Hi there @susmita.panda02, :wave:

First of all, it would be of great help if you could maybe show us a screenshot of what you are dealing with, a diagram, or some scripts, etc. so that we, and other members can get more context.

And second, is this related to Katalon Studio? I am asking so that I could move your topic to the corresponding category for it to get more visibility. Thanks :+1:

yes, this is related to Katalon Studio.

The payloadID which I am sending in request, that I want to get back in response.
But Response is giving 200 OK.
So looking for any way using which I can get the response back in katalon.

One more thing How can I use certificate in katalon.

Hi, there are a couple of courses on how to use Katalon Studio for API testing. Link here. You can scan through the content and check if it has what you need.

1 Like

You seem to expect that Katalon Studio is capable to control what content the server to send back as response. But, it would not be the case.

Your server side application descides what content it sends back as response. You should, at first, check the specification how the server side app works and find out how to let the app to behave as you want it to.

Thank you for your response.
I want to know whether through any external url or plugin integrating in katalon, I can get back the response?
Appreciate your help

Do you mean “if I can get back the HTTP request echoed back as a part of the HTTP response”?

It depends how the server-side application is designed.

I don’t know such brutal magic.

Got that. I mean to say is there any place in Katalon where I can give some external url?

I don’t understand this.

Why don’t you simply make another GET after you send the data?

If you want to save the HTTP request and review it ex post, BrowserMob Proxy would be your help:

As for WebService API testing (not web ui testing), generating HAR file is built-in Katalon Studio as the following doc tells.

But I have never used the keyword. I do not know if it is really useful for users or not.

… I noticed that there are two keywords about HAR file

I read the documents, but I could not see how to get the HAR file (JSON text). There seems to be no keyword that gets you access to the .har file. Why? → @vu.tran

Hi there @susmita.panda02, :wave:

Just checking in if you were able to find the answer you need in this thread or not.

If yes, then please don’t forget to mark helpful replies as a solution :white_check_mark: so that others who may be asking similar questions / running into similar problems can find the solution as well!

Thanks for helping us grow our community! :sunglasses:

Hi @kazurayam,

Thanks for raising this concern. As mentioned in the doc, Katalon Studio generates HAR file for each Web Service request by default.

After execution, you can find the HAR file in the report folder, for example in this screenshot.

That’s why we don’t see a need for a keyword that gets you access to the .har file.
I hope this info would help :blush:

1 Like

Thanks @kazurayam, our team is well-aware and will update soon!

I could not find this important sentence in the official documentation. Nowhere. Why not you revise the doc?

I looked at the Reports folder of one of my API test projects. I used v8.3.0 of Free plan Katalon Studio, not Enterprise version.

Using my favorite editor, Yes, I found the *.har files in the Reports directory.

However I could not see the har files in the Katalon Studio GUI. When I clicked the directory, a modal dialog appeard “Uh oh … This is an exclusive feature of Studio Enterprise”, “No worries. Just upgrade the Enterprise feature too unlock all powerful capablilities”.

Now I understand the the HAR file is designed for the Katalon Studio Enterprise users only. Free plan users are not supposed to see it. The official documentation should clearly explain this point as well.

Well, I don’t really mind this treatment. In fact, I would never open HAR files in Katalon Studio which provides no support for viewing/editing a large JSON text. I would certainly open HAR files in Visual Studio Code with the HAR Viewer plugin as I mentioned previously.

Thanks @kazurayam,
We’ll revise and update the doc accordingly.
It’s actually true that you cannot see the .har files in Katalon Studio GUI. As the screenshot I showed you above, from Studio, I need to right-click on the Report folder and choose Open containing folder to navigate to the folder containing my .har file.
Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 14.09.22

However, another way to view the .har file is right in the Console log of that execution, like in this screenshot:

I also read your post and found the HAR Viewer plugin you suggest really helpful :sparkles: Once again, thank you so much for sharing this topic!

Ah, I didn’t know this. Thank you.

“right-click on the Reports folder to choose Open containing folder” — Is it a new feature? or has it been there for years already?

When you execute a certain testcase, the path to the generated .har is shown in the log.
For Linux looks like are generated into the /tmp folder, I suppose later are copied from there into the actual Reports only if the test execution was in a suite.
You can see the path to it either in Log Viewer:

and furter open it with your preffered tool:

Or from the Console tab you get a direct link to it and it will open straight in Katalon:

1 Like