How to launch installed iOS app with bundleId using katalon studio

How to launch installed iOS app with bundleId using katalon studio?

Hi @chandu.komireddy,

You’ll have to start the test with an actual .app or .ipa file that you have on your system (the Katalon Studio Test iOS Project should have one). You can use Appium’s Desired Capabilities to set the bundleId for the app you want to actually test.

import com.kms.katalon.core.configuration.RunConfiguration
import com.kms.katalon.core.mobile.keyword.MobileBuiltInKeywords as Mobile

String appFile = "TestApp.app"

RunConfiguration.setMobileDriverPreferencesProperty("bundleId", "com.mypreinstalled.app")

Mobile.startApplication(appFile, false)

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hi @Chris_Trevarthen,
Thanks for responding.
My test application is on test flight app, so don’t have .app and .ipa file.
How do we open already installed app on iOS device using katalon?

Hi @chandu.komireddy,

You can get an .app or .ipa file from the sample project that comes with Katalon Studio.

• From the File menu, choose “New Sample Project”.
  • Choose “Sample Mobile iOS Tests Project”.
  • Fill in the info to create a new project
  • This will create a new project on your drive
  • Look in the sample project under the App/Coffee Timer 2018-06-20 15-04-42 for the Coffee Timer-iPad Pro (9.7 -inch).ipa file
  • You can copy and paste this file into your own test project and reference it as the “appFile” in the code I provided above

If for some reason, this doesn’t work, you can rebuild a new .app file from the Xcode project in App/Your-First-iOS-App/Coffee Timer

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hi @Chris_Trevarthen,

i Dont have .app/.ipa file , i have only bundleId so how to invoke application using bundleId like Appium?

Thanks in Advance.

Hi @chandu.komireddy,

Even if the application you’re trying to test is installed via Testflight, you’ll still need another .app file to launch the test (I don’t know of a way around this right now). You can get a sample .app file from one of Katalon Studio’s test projects.

• In Katalon Studio, go to File->New Sample Project->Sample iOS Mobile Tests Project.
  • After you save the project, there will be a new folder in that folder: App/Your-First-iOS-App/Coffee Timer.
  • Open the Coffee Timer.xcodeproj file in Xcode and build it.
  • You’ll get an .app file created in your DerivedData directory.
  • Point to that .app file in your startApplication() line of your test.

If you can’t find the .app file, you can also try using the prebuilt .ipa that comes with the test project. This will be located in your test project’s folder at App/Coffee Timer 2018-06-20 15-04-42 for the Coffee Timer-iPad Pro (9.7 -inch).ipa.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hi Chris has the same question my app is on testflight you mentioned that how to copy it from katalon sample application and get it caopy and paste .Can you please share it .

Hi @besqaenterprise,

In the release of Katalon Studio 6.3, the ability to start an existing installed application was added. Check out the docs here:

Hope this helps,
Chris

1 Like

Thanks @Chris_Trevarthen.