Fail to start the Appium server in 60 seconds - iOS Simulator

Hi all, I have researched this for quite awhile and see most solutions, even the official ones is for Android.

Any idea why I get this error for iOS Simulator (and also device)?

I tried enabling debug in Preference > Katalon > Mobile > Appium Log Level. I also checked appium.log but its empty file with Zero kb.

The only error is when I expand the error popup with “Fail to start the Appium server in 60 seconds”, which shows:

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.kms.katalon.core.appium.exception.AppiumStartException: Fail to start Appium server in 60 seconds
	at com.kms.katalon.composer.components.impl.dialogs.ProgressMonitorDialogWithThread.runAndWait(ProgressMonitorDialogWithThread.java:49)
	at com.kms.katalon.composer.mobile.objectspy.components.MobileLocalAppComposite$12.run(MobileLocalAppComposite.java:488)
	at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:122)
Caused by: com.kms.katalon.core.appium.exception.AppiumStartException: Fail to start Appium server in 60 seconds
	at com.kms.katalon.core.appium.driver.AppiumDriverManager.startAppiumServerJS(AppiumDriverManager.java:268)
	at com.kms.katalon.composer.mobile.objectspy.dialog.MobileInspectorController.startMobileApp(MobileInspectorController.java:194)
	at com.kms.katalon.composer.mobile.objectspy.components.MobileLocalAppComposite.startLocalAppAsNormal(MobileLocalAppComposite.java:561)
	at com.kms.katalon.composer.mobile.objectspy.components.MobileLocalAppComposite$12$1.call(MobileLocalAppComposite.java:496)
	at com.kms.katalon.composer.components.impl.dialogs.ProgressMonitorDialogWithThread.startThreadAndWait(ProgressMonitorDialogWithThread.java:36)
	at com.kms.katalon.composer.components.impl.dialogs.ProgressMonitorDialogWithThread.runAndWait(ProgressMonitorDialogWithThread.java:48)
	... 2 more

A few things to note:

• I am using NVM to manage node versions as my project is using node v10 and Katalon requires node v12
  • As I’m using nvm, my appium is installed in /Users/{user}/.npm/lib/node_modules/appium

not sure if this affects anything.

Also in my Preference > Katalon > Mobile > Appium Directory, I put /Users/{user}/.npm/lib/node_modules/appium, though when I use “which appium”, I get /Users/{user}/.npm/bin/appium

I have followed these tutorials:
Real iOS Device setup
Install WebDriverAgent

Do let me know if there is anything else I miss out.

Thanks in advance.

I found the issue. on NVM, I only do

nvm use 12.13.0

but I should have done

nvm alias default 12.13.0 

Problem solved. whoever encounter this issue in the future, hope it helps.

1 Like

Thank you @ferdinandlim for your sharing! This will help the whole community to avoid such issue. Happy holidays!

Hello I am having this issue but I am new to macOS, what should i do to change it from use to alias default ? Thank you