Desktop Spy object doesn't open in native web recorder mode

hey, the native web recorder works like a charm on desktop app (QT) but when we want to spy objects for context menu items it doesn’t detect the sub menu items. Am I missing something here or this is expected behavior?

Hi @hina.amir

Currently, Windows Spy and Windows Recorder (normal) use the same mechanism so you cannot capture the context menu on the same PC. You can spy via remote machine or use Native Windows Recorder to perform actions on the element.

Sweet, Thanks for the tip. @duyluong Can you reply following
1- should I run application on remote server?
2- Windows application driver and developer mode should be enabled on remote machine?
3- Katalon should be running on host machine with Win App Driver and Dev mode enabled?
4- do we need to open some server/ client connection in win app driver?

1- should I run application on remote server?
Yes.
2- Windows application driver and developer mode should be enabled on remote machine?
Yes.
3- Katalon should be running on host machine with Win App Driver and Dev mode enabled?
No. Katalon should only run on the client machine. The host machine should be Windows 10 that installs Windows application driver and enables developer mode. The client machine can be Windows, Linux or macOS.
4- do we need to open some server/ client connection in win app driver?
Yes. Please follow this doc for configuration details: https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/setup-winappdriver.html#set-up-windows-application-driver-on-a-remote-machine

@duyluong I have set up Win App Driver on remote machine. Can you please guide me further?
No I’m running Katalon on my desktop machine and I have edited the WinAppDriver Url to my remote machine.

Now when I click start it fails with unable to start application.

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.openqa.selenium.SessionNotCreatedException: Unable to create a new remote session. Original error: Failed to connect to /10.128…

Observations:
1- Application path is still pointing to local machine.
2- It doesn’t matter if WinAppDriver is running on my desktop machine or not. It fails either ways.

Can you please share further instructions after enabling WinAppDriver on remote app how to move forward with spy object or Native/Windows Recorder?

• Are the client and the remote machine in the same network? Can you ping the 10.x.x.x (remote machine) from your machine?
  • The application must install on the remote machine. The application file path points the file path on the remote machine.

@duyluong I have sorted the connection failure issue by adding inboud firewall rule for the port.
But now If it launches the application it takes forever to detect any next step and fails with error “java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.openqa.selenium.UnsupportedCommandException: Build info: version: ‘3.141.59’, revision: ‘e82be7d358’, time: '2018-11-14T08:25:53”

If the application is already running in remote location because of last connection it will show 500 internal error in remote winappdriver command window

SessionManager - WinAppDriver succeeded loading MitaBroker
HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error
Content-Length: 101
Content-Type: application/json

{“status”:33,“value”:{“error”:“session not created”,“message”:“A new session could not be created.”}}

Will Katalon create connection and detect already running application on remote machine?
We are in process of tool evaluation and this issue is kind of creating a showstopper where we can’t record steps with context menus.

@duyluong @ThanhTo any suggestions?

Installing windows app driver v1.2 fixed the issue. :slight_smile:

1 Like