Create custom test objects

Hello

I have been using Katalons Chrome Web Recorder for capturing web elements, and for the most part it has worked well when playing back tests.

I have got all my test suites passing in Chrome but have come to test in Firefox and found that some tests fail and some pass ( im using the same objects that pass in some tests but fail in others, which is really rather unexpected ).

As this is rather odd and cant pin down a reason as to why this happening, it was pointed out in this post ( thanks Russ ) that creating my own test objects in code is a better way to go ( and stop using the Web Recorder and Object Repository ).

As im not too sure which way to go on this, are there any recommended resources / tutorials to refer to get me started?

Thanks for any help / advice.

Hi
Check this out:
http://forum.katalon.com/discussion/5852/using-waitforelementpresent-without-an-object

Thanks @Mate

@Jason

As this is rather odd and cant pin down a reason as to why this happening, it was pointed out in this post (
thanks Russ ) that creating my own test objects in code is a better way
to go ( and stop using the Web Recorder and Object Repository ).

As im not too sure which way to go on this, are there any recommended resources / tutorials to refer to get me started?

As to your question, not that I’m aware of, unfortunately. However, the thread Mate linked to is a good starting point. But realize that “things move on” quickly in this world. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong in that thread – it’s completely fine – but I’m now using only JavaScript and jQuery to locate elements in the AUT and using dynamic TestObjects created “by hand”, in memory, when I need them (which is quite rare, actually – in fact, I’m struggling to think of one).

So, summing up, start with that thread: it will give you a good grounding in "where we’re at. If you have questions, post here. Me and my mate Mate ( :wink: ) are sure to be around…

Hope that helps.

Russ

Thanks Mate and Russ,

I have had a little look over that post and looks really helpful, ill take a deeper look and try some things out and see how i get on.

Cheers for your help, very much appreciated :slight_smile:

Me and my mate Mate

Good one! B)