Code coverage for Rest Api test created by Katalon Studio

Hello Team,

I would like to know about code coverage for Rest Api tests which is developed in Katalon Studio. Same as how Jacoco creates report for test code and production code.

In my current use case I have production code in a repository(Rest Api’s) and Katalon test suite in another repository so Jacoco doesn’t help me to get code coverage report. So I would like to know if katalon runtime engine have any options to generate code coverage. So that I can integrate it in my application.

Regards,
Sunil D C

Katalon is designed for functional testing (does not take care about AUT code)
Code coverage reports are generated based on unit tests (tests are glued with the application code).

So, you need a different approach for your automation projects (junit, testng etc)

As discussed above, API testing is an important activity that testing teams should focus on. It offers a number of advantages over other kinds of testing:

Language independent: Data is exchanged via XML and JSON, so any language can be used for automation, independent from the languages used to develop the application. XML and JSON are typically structured data so the verification is fast and stable. There are also built-in libraries to support comparing data using these data formats.

GUI independent: We can perform API testing within the application prior to GUI testing. Early testing will get feedback sooner and improve the team’s productivity. Core functionality can be tested to expose small errors and to evaluate a build’s strengths.

Improved test coverage: Most API/services have specifications, allowing us to create automated tests with high coverage, including functional testing (happy cases, negative cases) and non-functional testing. With virtual user techniques, we rarely find API test cases that could not be automated.

Faster releases: It is common that executing a UI regression test suite takes 8-10 hrs while the same scenario with API testing takes only 1-2 hours. The flakiness of API testing is also lower than that of UI testing. All these allow us to release faster with API testing.