Chrome not loading URL with basic auth

Scripts that worked previous do not work after upgrading to 7. Chrome window opens, URL loads and quickly goes back to blank. Site uses basic auth. URLs without basic auth work fine.

Using 78.0.3904.70 (Official Build) (64-bit) and related driver.

Hi @Bob1

I just tried and I can’t seem to reproduce it, please provide the log under Help > Error log

Nothing appears in the error log or in the console.

The Chrome window opens, starts going to the URL, and then gets replaced with a URL of “data:,”.

The rest of the script fails because it can’t find any of the objects. My script just starts normally with:

import static com.kms.katalon.core.checkpoint.CheckpointFactory.findCheckpoint
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testcase.TestCaseFactory.findTestCase
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testdata.TestDataFactory.findTestData
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ObjectRepository.findTestObject
import com.kms.katalon.core.checkpoint.Checkpoint as Checkpoint
import com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords as CucumberKW
import com.kms.katalon.core.mobile.keyword.MobileBuiltInKeywords as Mobile
import com.kms.katalon.core.model.FailureHandling as FailureHandling
import com.kms.katalon.core.testcase.TestCase as TestCase
import com.kms.katalon.core.testdata.TestData as TestData
import com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.TestObject as TestObject
import com.kms.katalon.core.webservice.keyword.WSBuiltInKeywords as WS
import com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords as WebUI
import internal.GlobalVariable as GlobalVariable
import org.openqa.selenium.Keys as Keys
import com.kms.katalon.core.windows.keyword.WindowsBuiltinKeywords as Windows
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ObjectRepository.findWindowsObject

WebUI.openBrowser(’’)

WebUI.navigateToUrl(‘https://URL-REMOVED-FOR-PRIVACY’)

Hi @bob1

If you’re using a website with basic authentication, then I think you’re missing the username and password in your URL something like:

http://username:password@127.0.0.1:8080

If I don’t include such username and password into the URL then I get a blank page too, but this behavior is the same when I tried on 6.3.0. Another possible can be due to your WebDriver and browser version, can you tell me which chrome driver version and chrome browser are you working with on the previous version ?

I’m using Chrome 78.0.3904.70 and the matching driver.

That article was from 2017. Browsers no longer allow you to pass credentials in the URL.

Wow, I take that back… it is working correctly with credentials in URL, I had issues with that in the past.

1 Like

HOWEVER… while Chrome and Firefox work great- IE is stuck in an endless loop and eventually errors out when passing credentials.

Previously since I had issues with credentials, I had added a 20 second delay to allow the tester to manually enter credentials.

Hi @bob1

Can you try out this solution, I don’t know very much about IE

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/834489/internet-explorer-does-not-support-user-names-and-passwords-in-web-sit

Hi @bob1

I am unable to handle windows authentication in Firefox browser.

Which solution worked for you:

(a) Inbuilt Keyword or
(b) passing userName and Password in URL

Could you please specify which version of Firefox, Katalon and geckodriver are you using.

Thanks for your time.

As an alternative, please try this keyword:

I’ve had to issues with basic auth in Firefox by passing credentials in URL and using the authenticate method:

Katalon 7
Firefox 69.0.1

Authenticate worked successfully for me in Chrome and Firefox. IE however continually keeps reloading the page over and over again in an endless loop.

1 Like

Is there anyway Katalon can get Chrome to work like it did in previous version of Studio? Where we can allow time for the user to enter the credentials for Basic Authentication? This change has messed with our test scripts. And switching to using WebUI Authenticate caused us to have the same IE issue as the other person. The screen just reloads continuously. So I would prefer Chrome allow the prompt to display like it did before Studio 7. By the way, adding the registry keys for IE had no effect.

Thanks.