Can't open browser

Hello. I am new at Katalon Studio and may be my question is pretty nooby, please forgive me:)

I am going to try a very simple test case - just open my browser.
So I had already created a simple project, changed in “Window->Katalon Studio Preferences-General->Web Browser” default browser to “Chrome”.
Than I created a Test Case and add only one action “Open Browser” with blanck page
Than I click at “Run” and expected that a new blank page would be opened
Actually I had an enormous stack of errors

09-12-2018 06:57:37 PM - [START] - Start Test Case : Test Cases/1

09-12-2018 06:57:37 PM - [INFO] - Evaluating variables for test case

09-12-2018 06:57:38 PM - [START] - Start action : openBrowser

09-12-2018 06:57:38 PM - [INFO] - Opening browser

09-12-2018 06:57:38 PM - [INFO] - Starting ‘Firefox’ driver

09-12-2018 06:57:38 PM - [INFO] - Action delay is set to 0 seconds

09-12-2018 06:57:38 PM - [FAILED] - Unable to open browser with url: ‘’ (Root cause: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The path to the driver executable must be set by the webdriver.gecko.driver system property; for more information, see GitHub - mozilla/geckodriver: WebDriver for Firefox. The latest version can be downloaded from Releases · mozilla/geckodriver · GitHub)

09-12-2018 06:57:38 PM - [END] - End action : openBrowser

09-12-2018 06:57:38 PM - [FAILED] - Test Cases/1 FAILED because (of) (Stack trace: com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Unable to open browser with url: ‘’ (Root cause: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The path to the driver executable must be set by the webdriver.gecko.driver system property; for more information, see GitHub - mozilla/geckodriver: WebDriver for Firefox. The latest version can be downloaded from Releases · mozilla/geckodriver · GitHub)

at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.stepFailed(KeywordMain.groovy:36)

at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.stepFailed(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:65)

at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.runKeyword(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:27)

at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.OpenBrowserKeyword.openBrowser(OpenBrowserKeyword.groovy:81)

at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.OpenBrowserKeyword.execute(OpenBrowserKeyword.groovy:67)

at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordExecutor.executeKeywordForPlatform(KeywordExecutor.groovy:53)

at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords.openBrowser(WebUiBuiltInKeywords.groovy:60)

at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords$openBrowser.call(Unknown Source)

at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSiteArray.java:48)

at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:113)

at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:125)

at Script1536764202482.run(Script1536764202482.groovy:16)

at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.run(ScriptEngine.java:183)

at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.runScriptAsRawText(ScriptEngine.java:108)

at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.runScript(TestCaseExecutor.java:294)

at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.doExecute(TestCaseExecutor.java:285)

at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.processExecutionPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:264)

at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.accessMainPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:256)

at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.execute(TestCaseExecutor.java:200)

at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runTestCase(TestCaseMain.java:99)

at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runTestCase(TestCaseMain.java:90)

at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain$runTestCase$0.call(Unknown Source)

at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSiteArray.java:48)

at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:113)

at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:149)

at TempTestCase1536767855725.run(TempTestCase1536767855725.groovy:22)

at groovy.lang.GroovyShell.runScriptOrMainOrTestOrRunnable(GroovyShell.java:263)

at groovy.lang.GroovyShell.run(GroovyShell.java:518)

at groovy.lang.GroovyShell.run(GroovyShell.java:507)

at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.processOnce(GroovyMain.java:653)

at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.run(GroovyMain.java:384)

at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.process(GroovyMain.java:370)

at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.processArgs(GroovyMain.java:129)

at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.main(GroovyMain.java:109)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at org.codehaus.groovy.tools.GroovyStarter.rootLoader(GroovyStarter.java:109)

at org.codehaus.groovy.tools.GroovyStarter.main(GroovyStarter.java:131)

)

09-12-2018 06:57:38 PM - [END] - End Test Case : Test Cases/1

What I need to know:
1. What should I do for permanently changing my browser to chrome? (see for “09-12-2018 06:57:38 PM - [INFO] - Starting ‘Firefox’ driver” in console log)
2. How could I solve problem with path to webdriver?

Hi Valeriy

Please change default browser from:
Window -> Preferences -> General -> Web Brower

Valery

This message tells that you actually selected Firefox driver while you meant to use Chrome driver.

09-12-2018 06:57:38 PM - [FAILED] - Unable to open browser with url: ‘’ (Root cause: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The path to the driver executable must be set by the webdriver.gecko.driver system property;

To me it seems you do not have Firefox Browser installed.

kazurayam said:

Valery

This message tells that you actually selected Firefox driver while you meant to use Chrome driver.

09-12-2018 06:57:38 PM - [FAILED] - Unable to open browser with url: ‘’ (Root cause: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The path to the driver executable must be set by the webdriver.gecko.driver system property;

To me it seems you do not have Firefox Browser installed.

LaLaTay said:

Hi Valeriy

Please change default browser from:
Window → Preferences → General → Web Brower

Please check exactly, what I had wrote above
“So I had already created a simple project,** changed in “Window->Katalon Studio Preferences-General->Web Browser” default browser to “Chrome”.”
Now I try to run test case in Chrome manually and faced against another error

Starting ChromeDriver 2.41.578737 (49da6702b16031c40d63e5618de03a32ff6c197e) on port 14418

Only local connections are allowed.
Please, see that it is the latest chromedriver so dont recomment to update it

Upd. My computer is beyond corporate proxy, but I already set it in preferences

1 Like