Can you sent keys without an object?

Hi guys !!

Is there a way to use sent keys without having an object? I want to simulate a keyboard entry after selecting a tab but it does nothing due it not having an object to select but does pass “Keys 'ESCAPE + ’ sent to object: ‘tempBody’”

1 Like

You could try to target the HTML <body> element. Not sure if it will work, though…

1 Like

java.awt.Robot class should be agnostic of any selected element, acc. to the description.
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/awt/Robot.html

It is designed to send ‘native inputs’
I never use it, you can give a try.
You have to grab the jar and import it in your project, i think it is not provided with Katalon by default

1 Like

Robot works great for this. I use it quite oftem when I am unable to capture objects with Katalon.

import java.awt.Robot
import java.awt.event.KeyEvent

Robot robot = new Robot();

robot.keyRelease(KeyEvent.VK_ENTER)

and so on. What I have not been able to figure out is how to send a String value using Robot since Katalon wants to make me target an object.

2 Likes

What are you sending a string to if you don’t have an object, if you don’t mind me asking? You could continue to send a key one at a time if you wanted - it goes in the sequence of ‘keyPress’ then ‘keyRelease’ for each character… or you could make a loop to reduce the amount of lines (two per character)! I haven’t really needed to submit characters beyond a single one

1 Like

I am just now trying to send a string value using Robot and not having much luck. This is a field in outlook webmail in the advanced filter section and none of the elements are letting me capture them. I have seen a few examples out there, but it is not working. I am trying this now.

import java.awt.Robot
import java.awt.event.*
import java.lang.Character
import org.openqa.selenium.Keys as Keys

String searchString = 'lieninfo'

Robot robot2 = new Robot();

//Looping through every char
	for (int i = 0; i < searchString.length(); i++)
	{
	//Getting current char
	char c = searchString.charAt(i);
	println('char c: ' + c)

//Actually pressing the key
	robot2.keyPress(char.(c));
	robot2.keyRelease(char.(c));

Thread.sleep(250);
	}

I get:
Reason:
groovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: c for class: char

1 Like

Try the above with no period – char(c). Groovy is translating the quoted phrase to an object and its method, like “searchString.charAt(i)”.

1 Like

When I try that it instantly throws an error.

robot2.keyPress(char(c));
	robot2.keyRelease(char(c));

1 Like

I was able to get it working using:

for (int value : searchString.substring(0).toCharArray()) {
	int keyCode = KeyEvent.getExtendedKeyCodeForChar(value)
	robot.keyPress(keyCode)
	sleep(100)
	robot.keyRelease(keyCode)
}
1 Like

Yes you can send it

1 Like

hi noor,
sometime I am intrigued by your posts.
sometime you ‘provide’ solutions, sometime you are asking for dumb solutions, sometime you are rising ‘interesting’ topics.
are you a Kudos hunter or what?

1 Like