Adding AWS authorization for RESTful API testing

Hi
How can i add AWS signature for RESTful API testing?

How can i add AWS signature

Do you mean by the word “AWS signature” aws_access_key_id and aws_secret_access_key?

If so, all you need to do is to create ~/.aws/credentials file and ~/.aws/config file on your PC. The following URL tell you what you should do.

It has nothing to do with Katalon Studio.

2 Likes

kazurayam said:

How can i add AWS signature

Do you mean by the word “AWS signature” aws_access_key_id and aws_secret_access_key?

If so, all you need to do is to create ~/.aws/credentials file and ~/.aws/config file on your PC. The following URL tell you what you should do.

It has nothing to do with Katalon Studio.

Hi kazurayam,
Thanks man.
yes , i was referring to “AWS signature” aws_access_key_id and aws_secret_access_key.

I wanted to know how to add this “AWS signature” in to authentication part in Katalon like postman.
Sorry i am new to this tool.

@kazurayam I have added the aws config and credentials files as detailed in the AWS document; however can you advise on the authentication type that I then use within Katalon (no authorisation, basic, OAuth 1.0) and how this links back to the config files?

Daniel,

Katalon Studio is, at its core, a wrapper of Selenium WebDriver. Selenium WebDriver has nothing to do with AWS. So I do not see what you want to do with AWS using Selenium WebDriver.

Please tell us the URL of your Application Under Test to let us look at it. This is the 1st thing you should do to ask for help in this Forum. If you can not disclose the URL, then you need to describe your idea with more words.

If you want to upload/download files to/from AWS S3, for example, Katalon Studio is NOT the tool you should use. I would recommend to you to look at AWS CLI. AWS CLI provides everything you need to work on AWS. No need for KS.

Hi, I am attempting to send a web service request to an API endpoint hosted within AWS. My supplier has a few test APIs that do not require authentication and these work fine; however for the particular API that I am attempting to call, authentication is required. Reading the earlier comments in this post, I had assumed that this was supported by using the AWS credential files.

Unhelpfully, I am unable to share the URL.

You have provided very little information about your system. So I just guess, you are concerned about AWS API Gateway. If so you should read the docs of AWS API Gateway first, rather than asking questions here. The following page might help you.

This page would get you started with Postman for testing API with authentication. Also searching this forum with key “Postman” might be interesting for you.

@kazurayam I am not intending to be vague and unclear regarding my system and test approach; however it is a fairly generic GET request, which queries a couple of parameters.

My team have these requests already running with Postman; however I saw the potential of Katalon to offer much more in terms of end to end test automation.

I assume that you work for Katalon? If so, can I request that this is added to your features backlog? I would have thought that with all of the recent efforts relating to API testing that support for endpoints hosted within AWS and with authentication would be a must have.

No. I am just a user.
But I will invite Dung_Ngo and other Katalon members to this discussion.

OK. This describes well about you.

What is “this” you mean? I do not see it. Please re-state it (how you want Katalon Studio to be like) clearly to let Katalon team to understand it.

What do you think Postman is short for?

You seem to think that Katalon Studio can be better than Postman. Then what is the factor for Katalon Studio to be better than Postman?

1 Like

Hello. I have a trouble to adding AWS Signature entire the Katalon tool, maybe Katalon have any description how is possible to do this. I’m new user in Katalon .

I had a look at the documentation of Postman titled “Authorizing requests | AWS Signature”:

From this doc I learned that Postman offers a UI that enables user to configure Postman so that it automatically transfer credential information from ~/.aws/credentials and ~/.aws/config files into the Request Header when WS.SendRequest() is executed.

I think Katalon Studio just lack the equivalent feature.

Now @amyradova has to write some custom Groovy code (an alternative to WS.SendRequest) to transfer the AWS credential from ~/.aws/cerendentails file info into a Request Header runtime.

@Jass, @duyluong

Could you support @amyradova ?

Any help, how can I Athorize AWS in Katalon?

@albert.vu

Recently you presented the following picture of “Katalon Platform” to users.

In this picture, I noticed the famous name “aws” is engraved there. Therefore I suppose you must have something to say to @amyradova. For instance: “Yes, you can authenticate to AWS in Katalon just easily…” . Please give us your comment.