WebUI.switchToWindowIndex fails

I’m having another issue that may not be user error like my other many issues. :slight_smile:

This command used to work perfectly, but it recently quit. I adapted a test from the Katalon Documentation to showcase the failure.

THANK YOU!

SCRIPT
import static com.kms.katalon.core.checkpoint.CheckpointFactory.findCheckpoint
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testcase.TestCaseFactory.findTestCase
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testdata.TestDataFactory.findTestData
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ObjectRepository.findTestObject
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ObjectRepository.findWindowsObject
import com.kms.katalon.core.checkpoint.Checkpoint as Checkpoint
import com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords as CucumberKW
import com.kms.katalon.core.mobile.keyword.MobileBuiltInKeywords as Mobile
import com.kms.katalon.core.model.FailureHandling as FailureHandling
import com.kms.katalon.core.testcase.TestCase as TestCase
import com.kms.katalon.core.testdata.TestData as TestData
import com.kms.katalon.core.testng.keyword.TestNGBuiltinKeywords as TestNGKW
import com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.TestObject as TestObject
import com.kms.katalon.core.webservice.keyword.WSBuiltInKeywords as WS
import com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords as WebUI
import com.kms.katalon.core.windows.keyword.WindowsBuiltinKeywords as Windows
import internal.GlobalVariable as GlobalVariable
import org.openqa.selenium.Keys as Keys

WebUI.openBrowser(‘’)

WebUI.navigateToUrl(‘https://www.katalon.com/’)

WebUI.delay(5)

WebUI.click(findTestObject(‘Object Repository/COIN DISCOVERY/Page_Katalon Simplify Web, API, Mobile, De_2f1b85/a_Resources’))

WebUI.delay(5)

WebUI.click(findTestObject(‘Object Repository/COIN DISCOVERY/Page_Katalon Simplify Web, API, Mobile, De_2f1b85/div_Documentation’))

WebUI.switchToWindowIndex(0)

WebUI.delay(5)

WebUI.closeBrowser()

ERROR LANGUAGE
=============== ROOT CAUSE =====================
Caused by: com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Cannot find window with index: ‘0’

For trouble shooting, please visit: https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/troubleshooting.html

02-10-2022 01:13:33 PM Test Cases/1 TESTING/New Test Case (1)fv

Elapsed time: 25.408s

Test Cases/1 TESTING/New Test Case (1)fv FAILED.
Reason:
com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Cannot find window with index: ‘0’ (Root cause: com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Cannot find window with index: ‘0’
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.stepFailed(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:64)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword$_switchToWindowIndex_closure1.doCall(SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword.groovy:83)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword$_switchToWindowIndex_closure1.call(SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword.groovy)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.runKeyword(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:20)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword.switchToWindowIndex(SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword.groovy:85)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword.execute(SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword.groovy:67)
at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordExecutor.executeKeywordForPlatform(KeywordExecutor.groovy:74)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords.switchToWindowIndex(WebUiBuiltInKeywords.groovy:1891)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords$switchToWindowIndex$2.call(Unknown Source)
at New Test Case (1)fv.run(New Test Case (1)fv:32)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.run(ScriptEngine.java:194)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.runScriptAsRawText(ScriptEngine.java:119)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.runScript(TestCaseExecutor.java:442)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.doExecute(TestCaseExecutor.java:433)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.processExecutionPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:412)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.accessMainPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:404)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.execute(TestCaseExecutor.java:281)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runTestCase(TestCaseMain.java:142)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runTestCase(TestCaseMain.java:133)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain$runTestCase$0.call(Unknown Source)
at TempTestCase1644520408413.run(TempTestCase1644520408413.groovy:25)
)
at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.stepFailed(KeywordMain.groovy:39)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.stepFailed(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:64)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword$_switchToWindowIndex_closure1.doCall(SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword.groovy:83)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword$_switchToWindowIndex_closure1.call(SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword.groovy)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.runKeyword(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:20)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword.switchToWindowIndex(SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword.groovy:85)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword.execute(SwitchToWindowIndexKeyword.groovy:67)
at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordExecutor.executeKeywordForPlatform(KeywordExecutor.groovy:74)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords.switchToWindowIndex(WebUiBuiltInKeywords.groovy:1891)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords$switchToWindowIndex$2.call(Unknown Source)
at New Test Case (1)fv.run(New Test Case (1)fv:32)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.run(ScriptEngine.java:194)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.runScriptAsRawText(ScriptEngine.java:119)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.runScript(TestCaseExecutor.java:442)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.doExecute(TestCaseExecutor.java:433)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.processExecutionPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:412)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.accessMainPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:404)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.execute(TestCaseExecutor.java:281)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runTestCase(TestCaseMain.java:142)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runTestCase(TestCaseMain.java:133)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain$runTestCase$0.call(Unknown Source)
at TempTestCase1644520408413.run(TempTestCase1644520408413.groovy:25)
Caused by: com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Cannot find window with index: ‘0’
… 21 more

It works fine here. Though I’m not sure why you’re trying to switch to the window that is already the target window.

Does your chrome open up the documentation link in a new tab and switch back to the main Katalon page with that code?

Mine simply opens the documentation link in a new tab and fails, while sitting on the documentation page.

I don’t use Chrome. Let me try with that.

What version of Katalon are you using?

Katalon: 8.2.5
Chrome: 98.0.4758.82 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I don’t remember if it started happening at that time, but I did change chrome drivers recently. I also remember them not having a driver that matched my chrome exactly.

Maybe?

Like I said, the switches and tab closes used to work for me.

It is working again. I just started changing settings that I had changed in the past.

The default wait time when ie hangs was set at 0 and the wait until the page is loaded button was selected. Making these changes fixed my problem.

I hate to waste more of your time, but could you briefly explain what was causing the error, so I can understand those setting options better?

1 Like

I wish I knew. FWIW, here are my settings: