'Type' command issues

Hi there,

When I am recording a script only the ‘click’ is recorded. Also, if I manually set up the ‘type’ command it sometimes doesn’t enter the value. I also noticed that even if a value is entered the application doesn’t recognise the text.

1 Like

Ciaran Heaney said:

Hi there,

When I am recording a script only the ‘click’ is recorded. Also, if I manually set up the ‘type’ command it sometimes doesn’t enter the value. I also noticed that even if a value is entered the application doesn’t recognise the text.

Hi Ciaran,

Would you please share with us the web page you were trying to record? or any example would be great.

Have you also tried the Command “sendKeys”?

Thank you for choosing Katalon Recorder,
Liam

Hi Liam,

Unfortunately I can’t share the web page as it’s an in-house app. To tell the truth I could live without it recording the “Type” as it’s simple to manually enter it. I tried “SendKeys” and “TypeKeys” with limited success but am totally stuck now on 2 fields in a pop-up dialog. After a lot of blood, sweat and tears I managed to get Katalon to find them using xpath. ( //input[@id=“financial_value”]) Thing is I can see it selecting the field but it doesn’t type anything. Here is some info one one of the fields:

<input autocomplete=“off” class=“mandatory” type=“text” size=“12” onselect=“esr_ControlSelect(this, event);” onblur=“esr_ControlBlur(this, event);” onfocus=“esr_ControlFocus(this, event);” onchange=“esr_ControlChange(this, event);” oncut=“stdControlCut(this, event);” onpaste=“stdControlPaste(this, event);” haschanged=“false” originalvalue=“0.00” text=“0.00” valid=“true” name=“financial_value” id=“financial_value” tabindex=“1” value=“0.00” control_owner=“PAGE” control_owner_id=“DCS_CONTRACT_SERVICES” screen_id=“sid0007” program_id=“DCS045” page_name=“DCS_CONTRACT_SERVICES” server_change_enabled=“true” alias=“FINANCIAL_VALUE” attrib=“mandatory” changecase="" style=“text-align:right;” datatype=“decimalnumber” sign=“both” field=“financial_value” format="" lookup="" mask="" maxlength=“2147483647” minval=“0.0” maxval=“0.0” maskpad="" referential="" spellchecker=“false” spellcheck=“false” security=“FINANCIAL_VALUE” securitytype="" wildcards=“false” extendedchars=“false” defaultvalue="" precision=“2” numberformat=“0.00” paste=“true”>

I’m also finding with some fields that even though Katalon seems to have entered text in mandatory fields, the validation doesn’t recognise it.

1 Like

Wow, that’s a lot of event handlers.

Did you try clicking the control first? Or maybe setting focus to it? Both?

If nothing else works, I’d try disabling onchange/onselect/onfocus, just to see if it makes a difference.

Is there any difference if you slow the player down?

I am having the same issue with certain fields not accepting the type command. I noticed this happens to fields that listen for keypress and keydown events. E.g. I have a name field that listens for keypress and keydown to prevent to user from entering numbers into a name field, but the field accepts typing alphabetical characters from the keyboard just fine. I’ve tried slowing the player all the way down and using sendKeys, but the field doesn’t even flinch, so to speak.