<li>abc</li>
    <li>de.f.ghi.j</li>
    <li>1.23.45.67</li>
    <li>9.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1</li>
    <li>hij 2.3.4.5 klm</li>
    <li>      6.7.8.9      </li>
    <li>0123456789...</li>
  </ul>

Some of <li> element contains String of IP Address-like format. When I say IP Address-like means a string in dot-decimal notation, consisting of four decimal numbers, each ranging from 0 to 255, separated by dots. A IP Address-liken string should match with a Java-flavor Regular Expression \d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3} .

Now I want to write a Test Case script in Katalon Studio. My scrit need to be able to select the <li> elements containing IP Address-like string. I want to use regular TestObjects with XPath expression locator.

So how should I write XPath expression to select <li> elements containing IP Address?

Solution

Web browers does not implement XPath 2.0. Therefore I can not use match() function of XPath 2.0 in TestObject. I should write locator using XPath 1.0 built-in functions only. Is it possible? — Yes, I can, though the solution is far from elegance.

Description

I wrote a test case script TC1.

I wrote 3 TestObject instances:

• [NumbersAndDots](Object Repository/NumbersAndDots.rs)
  • [NumbersAndDotsOf3](Object Repository/NumbersAndDotsOf3.rs)
  • [NumbersAndNonconsecutiveDotsOf3](Object Repository/NumbersAndNonconsecutiveDotsOf3.rs)

TC1 opens aut.html and applies above 3 TestObject trying to select <li> elements of interest.

NumbersAndDots

This test object is assigned with a XPath like this:

//li[string-length(normalize-space(translate(text(), '.0123456789', ''))) = 0]

Let me try to dectate what this XPath expression does.

1. it selects li elements which
  2. has a content string of dots (.), numbers(0…9) and whitespaces
  3. has no characters other than dot, number and whitespace

When I execute this, I could see in the Console that NumbersAndDots selected the following elements:

NumbersAndDotsOf3

2nd Test object is assigned with the following XPath expression:

//li[
    (string-length(normalize-space(translate(text(), '.0123456789', ''))) = 0) and 
    (string-length(text()) - string-length(translate(text(), '.', '')) = 3 )
    ]

This expression has second condition. It requires the content text should contain exactly 3 dot characters.

When I execute the test, I could see in the console NumbersAndDotsOf3 selected the following elements:

NumbersAndNonconsecutiveDotsOf3

3rd test object has following XPath expression assigned:

//li[
    (string-length(normalize-space(translate(text(), '.0123456789', ''))) = 0) and 
    (string-length(text()) - string-length(translate(text(), '.', '')) = 3 ) and
    not(contains(text(), '..'))
]

This expression has 3rd condition, which requires the content text should not contain consecutive 2 dot characters.

When I run the test I could see in the console NumbersAndNonconsecutiveDotsOf3 selected the following elements:

It’s good enough for me. My problem is solved.