Test Collection Execute Button Not Running Test Suites

I have been using Katalon all morning and using the execute button on my test collections to run all my tests as I add and refactor them. I have had no issues adding new tests, editing old ones, and running the collection tests up until about 30 minutes ago. I have tried resetting my device and also adding a new test collection with tests in it and still none of my collection tests including the temporary test one in the entire program are working.

I can run test suites and the individual tests with no issues. I have also successfully been able to generate the code for the test collections and run them via command line so the issue lies strictly with the execute button.

I wish I could reproduce what happened but I was editing scripts like I have been the last few weeks and running them the exact same way. When I am on the Console tab and I click Execute in the collection my tab switches to Log Viewer. Log Viewer remains blank though as well as the Console and Problems tabs. I am not getting any errors or anything else.

I would love any advice or steps I can take on my end to help resolve this.

Thank you,
Ricky

Edit: Ok, so I looked around and found the log. This error comes up in Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-5.4.2/config/.metadata/.log file every time that I click the execute button.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2018-06-25 15:06:14.267

!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception

!STACK 0

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert.isLegal(Assert.java:63)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert.isLegal(Assert.java:47)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ModelServiceImpl.findElementsRecursive(ModelServiceImpl.java:145)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ModelServiceImpl.findElements(ModelServiceImpl.java:394)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ModelServiceImpl.findElements(ModelServiceImpl.java:380)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ModelServiceImpl.find(ModelServiceImpl.java:413)

at com.kms.katalon.composer.execution.handlers.AbstractExecutionHandler$3.run(AbstractExecutionHandler.java:365)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.syncExec(Synchronizer.java:233)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.UISynchronizer.syncExec(UISynchronizer.java:145)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.syncExec(Display.java:4821)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application$1.syncExec(E4Application.java:211)

at com.kms.katalon.composer.execution.handlers.AbstractExecutionHandler.openConsoleLog(AbstractExecutionHandler.java:337)

at com.kms.katalon.composer.testsuite.collection.part.TestSuiteCollectionPart.executeTestRun(TestSuiteCollectionPart.java:659)

at com.kms.katalon.composer.testsuite.collection.part.provider.ToolbarItemListener.executeTestRun(ToolbarItemListener.java:88)

at com.kms.katalon.composer.testsuite.collection.part.provider.ToolbarItemListener.executeAction(ToolbarItemListener.java:73)

at com.kms.katalon.composer.testsuite.collection.part.provider.ToolbarItemListener.widgetSelected(ToolbarItemListener.java:50)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:249)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4418)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1079)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4236)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3824)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$4.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1121)

at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1022)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:150)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:693)

at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:610)

at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:148)

at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.internalRunGUI(Application.java:115)

at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.runGUI(Application.java:100)

at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.start(Application.java:60)

at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:673)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:610)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1519)

Hey Richard

I get this same problem from time to time (I have not checked the log though - I should next time).

I’m wondering if, like me, you have many windows open. I stretch KS across two monitors, with three split-windows open with many tabs/files (plus the Tests Explorer). It seems I see this error when I have a lot of files open, even more than usual – IOW, I don’t get the error when I only have four or five open.

The only solution is a restart.

There is one other thing I found: KS will not execute some TCs if they are not open in the main window to the left. See screenshot. It seems to get confused about what is a TC and what is a groovy/keyword class (which is clearly not an executable script).

image.png

Thanks for the response Russ,

I had already reset the computer and still had the same issue. I don’t stretch my Katalon across screens as I only have dual monitors and one of those is a little 15" laptop. Didn’t have any more tabs or programs open than I normally do. About two hours after this happened I tried running some of my individual tests and it wouldn’t run saying that a plug-in was broken.

I closed the program and reopened it and it loaded the dashboard like the first time I started using the program and then another tab opened with the script I was trying to run. When I tried to run that script it ran and with no plugin error. I then tried to run my collection and the execute button was working again.

Long story short. The problem is resolved for now but hopefully the logs can help pinpoint this issue so it can be corrected.