Partial search in the search box

Experts need your help

When testing manually, I enter the name in the search and I get all the records (partial search is taken)

Now when I use Katalon, I get zero results as Katalon is looking for exact search results.

1. Is there any option, where I can search for records with a partial name?
    alternatively, I need help to concatenate Name + Regular expression (.\w\d\s) any word or digit and feed into search to get right selection to click the element.

@newbie Sorry, but do you have a search textbox in a browser that you are trying to test, or are you trying to search within KS, like for a Test Case?

If you are trying to test a search textbox, you should get the same results using KS as you did testing manually, assuming you are putting in the same text. Using Katalon does not make it look for exact search results. It’s still your web page doing the search. You need to talk to your developers if they allow partial searches in your search textbox. Especially if your web pages are going through development (maybe you just found a bug you can report back to them).

Thank you @grylion54
Apologies for not being clear.
The Testing Web Application which has a Search box is on the application.
Manually, I can type in the name and i get the results but when I send

1. Set Text (WebUI.setText(…) and WebUI.sendkeys(…) via the Katalon automation script, the search comes up only with exact match, this cannot be a bug as manual test behaves as it should. I am thinking is there a global option or some argument that defines this behavior. Please throw some light on this.

@newbie
I assume the sendKeys is a Tab or an Enter. If you are trying to simulate what you can do manually through automation, when you type in the search textbox, do you Tab or Enter afterwards also?

Also, after the setText, put in a delay(4) as a test to see if there is any difference in functionality.

Hey @grylion54 I am also trying to record the page with search textbox with partial search text. when I run the test case it gives me below error when the test case reaches that field. Can you please help?

=============== ROOT CAUSE =====================
Caused by: org.openqa.selenium.StaleElementReferenceException: stale element reference: element is not attached to the page document
At object: ‘Object Repository/FA Loan/Test new/Page_Forbes Advisor UK/label_Full time’

For trouble shooting, please visit: https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/troubleshooting.html

07-26-2021 03:43:44 PM Test Cases/landingPage

Elapsed time: 16.129s

Test Cases/landingPage FAILED.
Reason:
com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Unable to click on object ‘Object Repository/FA Loan/Test new/Page_Forbes Advisor UK/label_Full time’
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.stepFailed(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:64)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.runKeyword(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:26)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.ClickKeyword.click(ClickKeyword.groovy:75)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.ClickKeyword.execute(ClickKeyword.groovy:42)
at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordExecutor.executeKeywordForPlatform(KeywordExecutor.groovy:73)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords.click(WebUiBuiltInKeywords.groovy:620)

You have a org.openqa.selenium.StaleElementReferenceException: stale Element Reference. There are several questions & answers about it that can give you some feedback on your concern. Here is a sample:

Might even be as simple as adding before your “stale” element using:

WebUI.focus(findTestObject('myTestObject'))

or

WebUI.switchToDefaultContent()
WebUI.delay(2)