Katalon unable to proceed after clicking any File download link

Katalon always freezes after clicking any File download step.
Use Case:

1. Katalon IDE Playback clicks on a download button/link
  2. The file gets download
  3. Katalon is unable to find the next element as part of the next step
  4. Katalon continues to wait for the next element - this element could be ANY element on the same webpage!
  5. I verified that there were no changes to the properties of the locator elements on the webpage post the download action.

There is no workaround for this. Please fix.

1 Like

What is the error?

I suspect your Test Objects are “stale”.

Not sure what does “stale” Object means? As per my point #5 - I verified that there were no changes to the properties of the locator elements on the webpage post the download action.

It just gets timed out after waiting for the next element. The error logs are as below:

[info] Executing: | click | link=Download all files | |

[info] Executing: | waitForVisible | id=upload_success | |

[error] Timed out after 30000ms

[info] Time: Mon Mar 22 2021 13:28:44 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) Timestamp: 1616444924031

[info] Test case failed

Hi team,
I got same behaviour with my tests. After “click” action to download a file the window seems to be unreachable by the code. Any action to be executed after the download got stalled and it ends up in timeout.

I suspect the issue is because the download sends to the browser the binary to download, and since it is not an HTML, Katalon-Recorder cannot inject any action via JS?

Thanks for your support and great product!

@hector.lopez

Yes unfortunately the file download dialog is not javascript and html but a browser-specific feature so KR can’t interact with it. Is interacting with the dialog crucial to your automation flow? If not, you can try to turn the Save As dialog off.

https://faq.chronodownloader.net/index.php?action=faq&cat=7&id=3&artlang=en

Thanks @ThanhTo! In fact, in my case the autosave is ON, so no popup dialog is shown and the file is downloaded directly, but still KR cannot interact with the window/page after the download is being processed by the browser.