Katalon Git Integration - Unknown files in Commits after clone project

Hi Guys, I have been creating my project for Automation API and UI, I always save my changes and I generated a gitignore file containing the following info:

.settings

*.class

*.swp

.svn/

Libs/

Libs/TempTestCase*

Libs/TempTestSuite*

bin/lib/TempTestCase*

bin/lib/

bin//Libs/

bin/Reports

bin.classpath

bin.project

Reports/

.classpath

.project

README.md

Now I need to share my project with other team members, they Clone the Project into their machine using the git integration tool in katalon, but, If they try to commit without make any change, katalon display a list of files that I wonder if I need to put them in the gitignore file or there shouldn’t have problem if they commit these files?

Here is an screenshoot showing the files that I mentioned before

MicrosoftTeams-image%20(2)

all members have the same files.

Anybody with experiencie in this, can help? I hope can find an answer for that, I mean I don’t really know if this can cause problems between machines or these are not necessary to commit and merge.

Regards.

A similar discussion is here:

in the settings/internal directory stored the IDE settings and preferences for the project defined by each individual developers.

Well, I think you can take either way. It is not a big issue.

Why I say insignificant? — Please have a look at the files under the settings/internal directory with any text editor and understand what sort of information is recorded there.

I will show my findings in my project for example.

settings/internal/com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.properties:

#Fri Jun 14 23:09:04 JST 2019
testCaseTag=""

it seems a timestamp of something is recorded here. that’s all. It seems to be not significant.

settings/internal/com.kms.katalon.execution.properties:

this file was empty. It looks significant.

settings/internal/com.kms.katalon.execution.webui.properties:

this file was empty. It looks insignificant.

settings/internal/com.kms.katalon.integration.analytics.properties:

settings/internal/com.kms.katalon.integration.qtest.properties:

So, I think the time stamp of these files are updated often when I do something on the project, but the contents look insignificant.

You can include a line of settings/ in the .gitignore file so that the changes of these properties files are not recorded by Git because the contents of those files look insignificant.

Or you can commit them into the repository. Do you mind a risk of merge conflicts? — I think you have very little risk of merge conflicts. Though you should know that the git log will get verbose due to bunch of commit logs of settings/**/*.properties.

Do you ask me how I would do?

I would add a line of

settings/

in my .gitignore.

If, in future, I find any of the settings/**/*.properties file worth committed and shared by the team, I would change my .gitignore.

Hi KAzurayam.

I tried to add settings into the gitignore, you help me out to clarify some questions, but what cause me some concerns it’s that when I tried to add bin folder, none of my global settings was share with the rest of the team, so that’s why I remove bin folder.

No that I add settings I still have these files in the commit window from the new computer where I clone the project.

Do you know what these bin files do in katalon?, could affect in someway?

If don’t.I think I will add them into gitignore

I always write the following line in my .gitingore files:

bin/

This means, I exclude all files contained in the <project>/bin directory.

I am sure that those files are rubbishes. These must have been created by accident.

I would recommend you to delete those files by Windows Explorer or Mac Finder or terminal.

If you find those files are recreated somehow, then I have no idea why. It’s only you who can resolve the mystery.