How to switch from one browser to another, then return to the initial browser and continue further test

Hello Katalon Team, i am currently doing a test scenarios for a proof of concept and however being blocked. Below is my scenario:

The typical scenario requires the tester (using always the same identity) to handle THREE browsers simultaneously:

1. access an App in Browser1 , get redirected to an app for authentication, get a session, get access
  2. access an App in Browser2 , get redirected to an app for authentication, get a session, get access
  3. in Browser1 , observe that access to another app is transparent, no re-authentication is required
  4. access an app in Browser3 , get redirected to an application for authentication, get a session, get access
  5. in Browser2 , observe that access to another app is transparent, no re-authentication is required
  6. in Browser1 , observe that the session is gone, i.e., that the identity is redirected for re-authentication.

@kazurayam, could you please help how to overcome that issue? I checked on the forum but could not get a solution for the above typical scenario.

Thanks in advance.

I am sorry, I do not understand your description above. You described something, but have not made any question.

What is “that issue”?

Have you been successful for the step#1?
Have you been successful for the step#2?
Have you been successful for the step#3?
Have you been successful for the step#4?
Have you been successful for the step#5?
Have you been successful for the step#6?

I don’t see.

The issue is that, after opening browser 1 and browser 2, im not able to switch to browser 1 to perform a test. Then switch to browser 2 to perform another test. That switching is my issue :frowning:

Please show your test case script.

here is a screenshot:

Every detail is hidden in your custom keywords. I can not help you debugging your custom keywords.

1. open browsers:

2. repeat this keyword twice

3. after opening the 2 browsers, i want to switch back to the first browser

4. Perform some test in browser 1, then switch to browser 2, in the same flow…

Is it a it clear?

Essentially you are doing this:

WebUI.openBrowser(null)   // browser1
WebUI.openBrowser(null)   // browser2

Yes, you would see 2 browser windows opened.

But, you will loose the 1st session from Katalon to the browser1 as soon as the 2nd session started.

is there a solution, to switch back to the first session?

You should not use WebUI.openBrowser() at all. It maintains only 1 session from Katalon process to browser.

You should create multiple WebDriver instances (ChromeDrvier, FirefoxDriver) yourself. You want to create 2 instances and keep them alive. Use DriverFactoy.changeWebDriver() method to switch the target of WebUI.* keywords to the browser1, to the browser2, and back to the browser1, …

The following code works for me.

import org.openqa.selenium.WebDriver

import com.kazurayam.ks.webdriverfactory.WebDriverFactory
import com.kms.katalon.core.webui.driver.DriverFactory
import com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords as WebUI

// open browser1, keep the session to the browser1 alive
//WebDriver browser1 = WebDriverFactory.newWebDriver(DriverFactory.getExecutedBrowser(), 'Katalon') // open browser with profile 'Katalon'
WebDriver browser1 = WebDriverFactory.newWebDriver(DriverFactory.getExecutedBrowser())  
assert browser1 != null

// open browser2, keep the session to the browser2 alive
WebDriver browser2 = WebDriverFactory.newWebDriver(DriverFactory.getExecutedBrowser())
assert browser2 != null

// in browser1, navigate to a URL
DriverFactory.changeWebDriver(browser1)
WebUI.navigateToUrl('http://demoaut.katalon.com/')

// in browser2, navigate to a URL
DriverFactory.changeWebDriver(browser2)
WebUI.navigateToUrl('https://duckduckgo.com/about')

// switch to browser1 and do something
DriverFactory.changeWebDriver(browser1)
String title1 = WebUI.getWindowTitle()
WebUI.comment("title1: ${title1}")

// switch to browser2 and do something
DriverFactory.changeWebDriver(browser2)
String title2 = WebUI.getWindowTitle()
WebUI.comment("title2: ${title2}")

WebUI.delay(3)

browser2.quit()
browser1.quit()

You can create ChromeDriver yourself using org.openqa.selenium.webdriver.chrome.* API. This API is bundled in Katalon Studio and available for test cases. See https://chromedriver.chromium.org/getting-started

In the above sample, I use com.kazurayam.ks.webdriverfactory.WebDriverFactory. It is my custom Groovy class. Have a look at its README. This enables me creating WebDriver instance with custom Chrome Profile (e.g, Katalon). The jar (ver 0.3.0) of this class is available at https://github.com/kazurayam/WebDriverFactory4ks/releases. You want to download the jar and locate it into the Drivers folder of your katalon project. To be honest, the doc of webdriverfactory project is not well written; I know the doc has some mistakes. I have already lost my interest in it.

1 Like

Hello @kazurayam, thank you. Have a nice weekend & stay safe.