How to find test object to upload file

Hi guys.

So I found the method to upload files using katalon here (Katalon Studio : Popup Window and Upload File) however what I am struggling with, is finding the test object in the final step. I am assuming that this is the Test Object of the pop up window? I am not sure quite what to use for this. Can someone please inform me of how I get this please?

I have added the code that I used below, most of it is unnecessary, except for the last two steps. You will see that I have left open the “findTestObject()” at the end because thats where I am unsure of what to place.

I also included a screenshot of the Keyword that I am using.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

import static com.kms.katalon.core.checkpoint.CheckpointFactory.findCheckpoint
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testcase.TestCaseFactory.findTestCase
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testdata.TestDataFactory.findTestData
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ObjectRepository.findTestObject
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ObjectRepository.findWindowsObject
import com.kms.katalon.core.checkpoint.Checkpoint as Checkpoint
import com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords as CucumberKW
import com.kms.katalon.core.mobile.keyword.MobileBuiltInKeywords as Mobile
import com.kms.katalon.core.model.FailureHandling as FailureHandling
import com.kms.katalon.core.testcase.TestCase as TestCase
import com.kms.katalon.core.testdata.TestData as TestData
import com.kms.katalon.core.testng.keyword.TestNGBuiltinKeywords as TestNGKW
import com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.TestObject as TestObject
import com.kms.katalon.core.webservice.keyword.WSBuiltInKeywords as WS
import com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords as WebUI
import com.kms.katalon.core.windows.keyword.WindowsBuiltinKeywords as Windows
import internal.GlobalVariable as GlobalVariable
import org.openqa.selenium.Keys as Keys

WebUI.openBrowser('')

WebUI.navigateToUrl('https://inscape-connect-staging.stratusolvecloud.com/UserManagement/login/')

WebUI.maximizeWindow()

WebUI.setText(findTestObject('Object Repository/UploadTest/Page_Inscape Connect - Account Management/input_Login to_c1'), 
    'Thomas')

WebUI.setEncryptedText(findTestObject('Object Repository/UploadTest/Page_Inscape Connect - Account Management/input_Login to_c2'), 
    'p4y+y39Ir5PEPmX20UxFKw==')

WebUI.click(findTestObject('Object Repository/UploadTest/Page_Inscape Connect - Account Management/button_Login'))

WebUI.click(findTestObject('Object Repository/UploadTest/Page_Connect - Members - Individual Overview/a_System Configuration'))

WebUI.click(findTestObject('Object Repository/UploadTest/Page_Connect - Members - Individual Overview/a_Documents'))

WebUI.click(findTestObject('Object Repository/UploadTest/Page_Inscape Documents - Document Overview/button_Add Document'))

WebUI.setText(findTestObject('Object Repository/UploadTest/Page_Inscape Documents - Document Overview/input_Document Name_c14'), 
    'KatalonUploadTest')

WebUI.click(findTestObject('Object Repository/UploadTest/Page_Inscape Documents - Document Overview/a_Select All_mark_universal'))

WebUI.setText(findTestObject('Object Repository/UploadTest/Page_Inscape Documents - Document Overview/textarea_Document Description_c15'), 
    'KatalonUploadTest')

WebUI.selectOptionByValue(findTestObject('Object Repository/UploadTest/Page_Inscape Documents - Document Overview/select_-Please Select-SA Induction Inductio_461d79'), 
    '12', true)

// Click Choose File(s) button <-- This brings up the upload file popup
WebUI.click(findTestObject('Object Repository/UploadTest/Page_Inscape Documents - Document Overview/label_Choose File(s)'))

CustomKeywords.'file_upload.FileUpload.uploadFile'(findTestObject(), 
	'C:\\Users\\tomgb\\Pictures\\random random.jpg')

In HTML there is only one element that deals with file uploading:

So find the <input type="file" ... > and create your Test Object from that.

Note: The input element itself is fairly ugly – most websites hide it and/or wrap it with prettier, styled elements. Don’t let that confuse you. If you find the input element itself, that’s the thing you need.

Will this be the TestObject of the file? If so, will this automatically grab the file path?

And I know this is maybe a dumb further question, but how does one create the Test Object from HTML? I am still learning Katalon and a lot of this is very new to me.

Although it is a small bit, you have the boolean in the above statement set to true. This means you want to use Regular Expression (RegEx), but nothing in ‘12’ requires RegEx. So, set it to false unless you need RegEx. That way you use normal comparison to your value and nothing unexpected should occur.

WebUI.selectOptionByValue(findTestObject('UploadTest/Page_Inscape Documents - Document Overview/select_-Please Select-SA Induction Inductio_461d79'), '12', false)

Are you suggesting to use the xpath of the Upload Button? I am not sure how to create the <input type="file" ... > into a test object

Yes, sorry for the delay.

The <input type=file> is a button. Get the xpath and use that.

Thank you sir. Last question before I test it as I am heading to bed:

Do I use this xpath then as the test object in the upload function, where I also specify the file path and file name?

So something like this:
WebUI.uploadFile(findTestObject("upload button xpath"), "file path" "file name")

I found this is an actual function. So does the xpath of the upload button go here?

Thanks for all the help. You are the one that has helped me last time!

The method uploadFile only takes two parameters: the test object and an absolute path to the file.

You can either create an object in the OR with the button’s xpath or you can create the Test Object in code, like:

import com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ConditionType as ConditionType 

xpath = '...'
TestObject myButton= new TestObject(xpath)
myButton.addProperty("xpath", ConditionType.EQUALS, xpath)

WebUI.uploadFile(myButton, "file path\\file name")

Note: You should put double slashes in your file path.

@ Russ_Thomas and @ grylion54
Hi there. So I believed that I followed your advice correctly, however it for some reason doesn’t want to work. I attached my code, as well as a screenshot of the HTML and the Katalon Log Viewers.

It seems as though when it gets to the last step, it just hovers and doesn’t do anything until it fails.

import static com.kms.katalon.core.checkpoint.CheckpointFactory.findCheckpoint
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testcase.TestCaseFactory.findTestCase
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testdata.TestDataFactory.findTestData
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ObjectRepository.findTestObject
import static com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ObjectRepository.findWindowsObject
import com.kms.katalon.core.checkpoint.Checkpoint as Checkpoint
import com.kms.katalon.core.cucumber.keyword.CucumberBuiltinKeywords as CucumberKW
import com.kms.katalon.core.mobile.keyword.MobileBuiltInKeywords as Mobile
import com.kms.katalon.core.model.FailureHandling as FailureHandling
import com.kms.katalon.core.testcase.TestCase as TestCase
import com.kms.katalon.core.testdata.TestData as TestData
import com.kms.katalon.core.testng.keyword.TestNGBuiltinKeywords as TestNGKW
import com.kms.katalon.core.webservice.keyword.WSBuiltInKeywords as WS
import com.kms.katalon.core.windows.keyword.WindowsBuiltinKeywords as Windows
import internal.GlobalVariable as GlobalVariable
import org.openqa.selenium.Keys as Keys

import com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ConditionType as ConditionType

email = "OTPTesting16@gmail.com"

WebUI.openBrowser('')

WebUI.navigateToUrl('https://inscape-connect-staging.stratusolvecloud.com/UserManagement/login/')

WebUI.setText(findTestObject('Object Repository/File_Upload/Page_Inscape Connect - Account Management/input_Login to_c1'), 
    email)

WebUI.setEncryptedText(findTestObject('Object Repository/File_Upload/Page_Inscape Connect - Account Management/input_Login to_c2'), 
    'p4y+y39Ir5PEPmX20UxFKw==')

WebUI.click(findTestObject('Object Repository/File_Upload/Page_Inscape Connect - Account Management/button_Login'))

WebUI.click(findTestObject('Object Repository/File_Upload/Page_Connect - Operations - ApplicationAccess/div_Continue'))

WebUI.click(findTestObject('Object Repository/File_Upload/Page_Connect - Operations - Student Enrolment/button_Upload'))

xpath = '//*[@id="FileInput"]'
TestObject uploadButton = new TestObject(xpath)
uploadButton.addProperty("xpath", ConditionType.EQUALS, xpath)

WebUI.uploadFile(uploadButton, "C:\\Users\\tomgb\\Pictures\\random\\random.jpg")