Getting the list of test case variables, from a Test Case, programmatically

Problem

Let’s say that you are testing a part of a system, that requires the test case to happen in multiple parts. For example, in my job, I have a test case that require me to:

• create a test medical practice, complete with members
  • wait several days to pay invoices of all members
  • wait some more days to check pay out to the physician

You create the steps for the test cases, but then how do you remind yourself/fellow test devs to run the test case for the next step? You have two real options:

• create Google Calendar event (or something similar) for the task manually, or…
  • create that same Google Calendar event programmatically

This is good, however, what to do if your test case steps have variables ? For example, what if they take npiNumbers, practiceProfiles, … , that you(r fellow test devs) need to run and validate the test case results? How do you get those programmatically?

Solution

Every Test Case Script has Binding, which then has Map<String, Object> variables. Hence, you could just say, in the Test Case itself:

this.binding.variables

to get the dictionary of test case variables. This will, as of the time of this post, only get the Test Case Variables!

Testing it out

Let’s create a Test Case, call it Test Case Variables, with the following test case variables:

Let’s then implement that test case to be:

import com.signaturemd.models.practice.PracticeModel

import groovy.transform.Field

final String tmpVar = "temp variable"

PracticeModel model = new PracticeModel()

@Field
String field = "field variable"

assert this.binding.variables == [ 
	('a') : 0,
	('b') : 1,
]

Run it, and you should see that this test case passes.

7 Likes

Thank you for such a great sharing. Keep going @mwarren04011990

2 Likes