Get days between two dates

Hi,
I am trying to get count of days between two dates. I have been struggling with this for a while trying to google the solution but no luck. I tried with ChronoUnit but that did not work.

Currently my code looks like this

WebUI.openBrowser(‘’)

WebUI.maximizeWindow()

WebUI.navigateToUrl(‘URL’)

String prvniDatum = WebUI.getText(findTestObject(‘LM/FirstDate’))

Date prvniDatumReal = Date.parse(“dd.MM.yyyy”, prvniDatum)

String posledniDatum = WebUI.getText(findTestObject(‘LM/LastDate’))

Date posledniDatumReal = Date.parse(“dd.MM.yyyy”, posledniDatum)

Date today = new Date()

Period period = Period.between(today, posledniDatumReal)
int difference = period.getDays()
print(difference)

The error looks like this :
Reason:

groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: static java.time.Period.between() is applicable for argument types: (java.util.Date, java.util.Date) values: [Tue Sep 29 14:37:18 CEST 2020, Tue Oct 13 00:00:00 CEST 2020]
Possible solutions: between(java.time.LocalDate, java.time.LocalDate)
at LMdatum.run(LMdatum:38)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.run(ScriptEngine.java:194)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.runScriptAsRawText(ScriptEngine.java:119)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.runScript(TestCaseExecutor.java:339)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.doExecute(TestCaseExecutor.java:330)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.processExecutionPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:309)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.accessMainPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:301)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.execute(TestCaseExecutor.java:235)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runTestCase(TestCaseMain.java:114)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runTestCase(TestCaseMain.java:105)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain$runTestCase$0.call(Unknown Source)
at TempTestCase1601383027081.run(TempTestCase1601383027081.groovy:25)

If I understand correctly what it means that I am not providing two Date data types? I am not sure what is the problem since the dates are parsed from string into regular date but it does not work. Also in the error message u can see that the dates actually look like dates?

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me here since I have been trying to solve this almost whole day.

in this example, you are trying to use a java.util.Date object for a function that uses java.time.LocalDate
if you otherwise don’t need the Date object, i recommend using LocalDate everywhere
here’s how to parse a string
public static LocalDate parseDate(String date, String format=“dd.MM.yyyy”){
DateTimeFormatter formatter = DateTimeFormatter.ofPattern(format);
LocalDate result = LocalDate.parse(date, formatter);
return result
}

Date today would become LocalDate today=LocalDate.now()

these two should give you everything you need to use the Period.between function correctly

1 Like

Thanks for the reply at least now I understand it from the theory.
I still cant figure out how to parse the string into date now. I see the function you posted but I am not too familiar with java so I dont know what to do with it. I pasted it in my code but thats about it.
Whenever I try to convert it with

prvniDatumReal = LocalDate.parse(prvniDatum, “dd.MM.yyyy”)

I am getting this error

Text ‘02.10.2020’ could not be parsed at index 0

try LocalDate.parse(prvniDatum, DateTimeFormatter.ofPattern(“dd.MM.yyyy”))

for my testing i have a class where i put commonly used functions for my scenarios, actually using a folder under keywords for that, so it would be

import java.time.format.DateTimeFormatter
import java.time.LocalDate
class Functions{
public static LocalDate parseDate(String date, String format=“dd.MM.yyyy”){
DateTimeFormatter formatter = DateTimeFormatter.ofPattern(format);
LocalDate result = LocalDate.parse(date, formatter);
return result
}
}

and then in your testcase
LocalDate prvniDatumReal = Functions.parseDate(prvniDatum, “dd.MM.yyyy”);

1 Like

nice, thank you so much now it is working finally! new class with functions sounds good might do that in the future but for now I am trying to get familiar with katalon

also this code returns 0 for some reason - the dates were 29.9.2020, 29.10.2020

Period period = Period.between(today, posledniDatumReal)
int difference = period.getDays()
print(difference)

Prolly does not matter now since the dates are almost always different and I can figure this out later. Thanks for the help!

Hi, I am new to using katalon and java. I want to know how to use the Date class in Katalon, I don’t know how to import things to make it work for me.

In katalon store there are keywords but I don’t know how to use them.

If someone could help me?
Thank you very much

You don’t know what import statement does? Then you should buy a good book about Java programming and study it form the Chap.1, for example

before asking help here.

If you are capable of Jave programmimg but don’t know how to program for date, then you should check the Java8 Date/Time API. See the following article.

Thank you very much for your help. As I said, I am learning to programming and some time I do that I watch on youtube or in other websites, but when I try to do it, doesnt works for me. Any way, thank you for your advances.