Execution Profile (v5.4+)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/execution-profile-v54.html

Does each additional profile (those in addition to default) require the developer to recreate each variable or do the additional profiles inherit from default? For instance if I had 3 variables in default but only needed one of them to change in a new “integration” profile, do I need to create all 3 variables in the integration profile or just add the one that I need overridden?

1 Like

that is a good question, I too have the same one.

Hi @saikrupa_s

Profiles are independent of each other and do not follow inheritance principles.

Regards !

1 Like

hi thanks Thanh To

Variable inheritance worked in version 5.10.1. It is not working in 6.0.4.

Thank you @Ryan_Manns. We are working on a fix for this.

Is it possible to feed the variables in profiles from say Jenkins job parameters? Similar to how you could set up environmental variables as Jenkins parameters for a maven project?

Yes, since Katalon 5.9 can set variables via Katalon’s console mod execution. Check out their documentation here: https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/console-mode-execution.html#katalon-command-line-options

1 Like

Is it possible to combine variables so that the base url can be set as one variable and various paths set as other variables that are combined to give a complete path? This would make updating much simpler when the base url changes, but the paths don’t.

Another question. The documentation above shows the profile variables in script view, but in my project the variables I set up only appear in manual view.

Is there a way to see the script version of profile variables that were set up manually?

When I try adding the variables in the script view following the syntax demonstrated above, saving removes all my variable definitions (the GlobalVariableEntity lines) saving only the profile definition (GlobalVariableEntities).

I find that if I add the profile defining code into the script view, then set up or save variables in the manual view, they show up in the script view. However, no change I make in the script view is applied to the variable settings. Saving eliminates the changes made in the script view.

I am trying to work out how to be able to copy a profile from one project to another. It seemed like working from the script view to copy and paste into the new project’s profile might be the answer, but I can’t see how to make the script view changes stick.

Thank you @Russ_Thomas. In the bug reports I found that this issue had been addressed. Updating my version to 6.1.2 resolved it.

2 Likes

I need to change the URL depending on the environment, but it does not work when it is added to the test case. Is it possible?

Hi here,

I have a question about calling non default profiles in test collection - I set a non default profile (e.g. Note9 in the screen capture below) for a test suite to run under test collection, it somehow isn’t able to look up the global variables in the non default profile but it works if I copy and paste the same global variables to default profile and run.

Can anyone please help to suggest how should I proceed ? Thanks.

/J

I am having the same issue.
I am only changing the server name in the API url,so I don’t have to create separate apis for QA & DEV.
But when I add it to the testcase it does not work.

Can anyone please help ?

I think it is related with version of katalon studio. I had the same issue, I revert back to 6.1.1 and it is solved. There might be a bug.

same issue, I have created 3 profiles now I want to use all these profiles in other project. Is there any way I can import all profiles in new project?

Hello @shilpi1

Katalon Studio 7+ supports sharing test artifacts including execution profiles across projects. Read more about new features and improvements in Katalon Studio 7+ here.

Jass

1 Like

Hi, I have a question related to executing a test case by choosing a profile(Ex: qa1).

In my project I have created a profile named"qa1"(addition to the default profile) and I have declared my test case parameters like URL, username and Password.

While executing the test case I have chosen the profile as “qa1” and the test got passed successfully.

However, when I see the console output I could see that the parameters are taken from “Default” profile.

But as I haven’t defined any parameters in default profile, I believe that the console output is supposed to show it as “(qa1)** Username = Admin**" instead "(Default)** Username = Admin**”.

Could you please verify and help me to understand.

Console output:

2019-11-13 22:03:35.549 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2019-11-13 22:03:35.578 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/Test2
2019-11-13 22:03:36.431 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - ****(Default)** URL = https://opensource-demo.orangehrmlive.com/**
2019-11-13 22:03:36.474 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - ****(Default)** Username = Admin**
2019-11-13 22:03:36.509 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - ****(Default)** Password = admin123**

that message does not means the data was taken from the default profile, but means it has the default value (taken from the selected profile in your case, i suppose you defined them in the variable tab in testcase with global variable type) and it is not overriden (by data binding or calling testcase with variable binding)
you can do a simple experiment, define the same variables but with different values in the default profile and run your test again with the qa1 selected, check which values were used.