Entire page screenshot example, and Request for ObjectRepository improvement

I have made a demo project on GitHub:

I am going to report a small problem in the com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ObjectRepository class. I will describe the problem, and will show you how I worked around it. And I will propose an idea of improvement for the class.

Taking entire screen shot of a web page - an example

Before talking about problems, I will give you a successful demo of taking screenshot of a web page. You can try the demo.

How to see the demo

1. Download the zip of this project from Releases page. Unzip it. Open it with your local Katalon Studio.
  2. Open the test suite Test Suites/Execute
  3. Run the test suite with any browser you like.
  4. The test script will open browser, navigate to London Stock Exchange: Homepage. It will take screen shot and save into <project dir>/Materials directory.
  5. Open a file <project dir>/Materials/index.html with your browser. Guided through the index, you will find a PNG file like this: londonstockexhange_homepage_plain

Features implemented

This demo has a few notable points.

1. This demo uses aShot, WebDriver Screenshot utility to take screen shots of web pages.
  2. This demo takes entire/full page screen shot.
  3. This demo makes a directory <project dir>/Materials . The PNG image file is located at the path of
<project dir>/Materials/<Test Suite Name>/<Test Suite Timestamp>/<Test Case Name>/<file name>
  1. Output path is resolved semi-automatically with help by Materials library. This path structure is convenient if you are to run the test (e.g, taking screenshots) repeatedly. The artifact files are stored in the individual directories.
  2. The screenshot has grey-colored rectangles over specified web elements in the target page. This rectangles are useful for intentionally ignoring particular portions when 2 images are compared.
  3. This demo shows how to deal with floating banner, or called Sticky Header on Scroll. Floating banner is usually a <div> with style position:fixed . If you do not treat floating banner specially, the banner is repeated in the entire page image which looks unprofessional. This demo shows how to make the banner not to float.

Request to improve com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ObjectRepository class

Problem

Please open Test Cases/problems/case2_parameterizedTO_reproduced and execute it. This script tries to take screenshot of London Stock Exchange: Homepage as well just like the demo. But will fails. In the Console, you will see the following error message:

2019-02-15 14:08:33.639 ERROR k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass -
    X Given xpath expression
    "//div[@id="tab0"]/div/table/tbody/tr[${Y}]/td[${X}]"
    is invalid: SyntaxError: The expression is not a legal expression.

In Test Cases/problems/case2_parameterizedTO_reproduced has following code where the error occurs:

Options options = new ScreenshotDriver.Options.Builder().
        addIgnoredElement(findTestObject('Page_LSE_home/tab0_trY_tdX', ['Y':1, 'X':3])).

Please remark that here I use the technique of “Parametarize Test Object Properties”. ScreenshotDriver , Options , Builder — these classes are my own custom Groovy classes. My class is throwing a error.

Why it fails?

My study

Test Cases/problems/case2_parameterizedTO_reproduced has another portion of code:

// let's see what is retured by the ObjectRepository#findTestObject() call
println "findTestObject('Page_LSE_home/tab0_trY_trx',['Y':1,'X':3]'):\n" +
	JsonOutput.prettyPrint(JsonOutput.toJson(
		findTestObject('Page_LSE_home/tab0_trY_tdX', ['Y':1, 'X':3])
	)
)

When executed, this code emits the following output:

findTestObject('Page_LSE_home/tab0_trY_trx',['Y':1,'X':3]'):
{
    "objectId": "Object Repository/Page_LSE_home/tab0_trY_tdX",
    "parentObjectShadowRoot": false,
    "properties": [
        {
            "active": true,
            "value": "//div[@id=\"tab0\"]/div/table/tbody/tr[1]/td[3]",
            "condition": "EQUALS",
            "name": "xpath"
        },
        {
            "active": false,
            "value": "foo",
            "name": "name"
        },
        {
            "value": "td",
            "name": "tag"
        }
    ],
    "imagePath": null,
    "selectorMethod": "BASIC",
    "selectorCollection": {
        "BASIC": "//div[@id=\"tab0\"]/div/table/tbody/tr[${Y}]/td[${X}]"
    },
    "useRelativeImagePath": false,
    "parentObject": null,
    "xpaths": [

],
    "activeProperties": [
        {
            "value": "//div[@id=\"tab0\"]/div/table/tbody/tr[1]/td[3]",
            "name": "xpath"
        },
        {
            "value": "td",
            "name": "tag"
        }
    ],
    "activeXpaths": [

]
}

The following portion is significant for me.

},

In the Value of SelectorCollection, I expected the placeholders ( ${Y} , ${X} ) to be interpolated to row number 1 and column number 3 . But this does not take place.

My custom code (TestObjectSupport class toBy() method) refers to the SelectorCollection of TestObject class. It expects a valid XPath expression is returned. It turns the XPath to an instance of Selenium By object.

Unfortunately the current TestObject returned by ObjectRepository#findTestObject() contains a Selector with placeholders ( ${Y} , ${X} ) retained. This causes the above mentioned error.

I wondered …

In the pretty-printed string of TestObject instance, you can find well-processed XPath expressions ( //div[@id=\"tab0\"]/div/table/tbody/tr[1]/td[3] ) in other properties. Only the Selector Colletion retains the placeholder string ( ${Y} , ${X} ). Why? Is there any reason?

Have wondered for a couple days, now I suppose there is no specific reason. Possibly the Selector Collection in a TestObject object is NOT used by the Katalon Studio itself. Therefore the Katalon programmer did not care about it.

My workaround

I have made a test case to demonstrate how to fix this problem.

Please open Test Cases/problems/case2_parameterizedTO_improvement and execute it. It should run successfully. It creates a screenshot where Stock Index FTSE100 and FTSE250 are painted with grey rectangles. how_is_it_improved

In the execution log, you will find the TestObject has Selector Collection value where placeholders are interpolated with integer values.

"BASIC": "//div[@id=\"tab0\"]/div/table/tbody/tr[1]/td[3]"
},

In the Test Cases/problems/case2_parameterizedTO_improvement code, I employed Groovy’s MetaProgramming feature.

Conclusion

Let me repeat it. The current TestObject’s getSelectorCollection() method returns XPath string with placeholders retained, like this:

},

I want TestObject’s getSelectorCollection() to return XPath string with placeholders are interpolated with values, like this:

"BASIC": "//div[@id=\"tab0\"]/div/table/tbody/tr[1]/td[3]"
},

In order to accomplish this, com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.ObjectRepository needs to be slightly modified.

2 Likes

I want this improvement in order to fix a limitation in Visual Testing in Katalon Studio as described at:

2 Likes