Edited values of variables in a test case are not updating automatically in a calling test case

My Scenario is- I have edited the values of few variables in a test case and this test case was being used in other test case. The edited values didn’t reflect in calling test case. I have to call the (edited values) test case again to make the latest variable values work.

It should update all references where ever this variable has been used.

2 Likes

Hi Bhawna,

Thank you for your feedback. It’s been logged to the backlog for team discussion and consideration for future releases.

If you have other suggestion or concern, feel free to post on the forum.

Thanks again for your support,
Liam

Thanks Liam!

Bhawna Rani said:

My Scenario is- I have edited the values of few variables in a test case and this test case was being used in other test case. The edited values didn’t reflect in calling test case. I have to call the (edited values) test case again to make the latest variable values work.

This behavior is probably not too bad. If we consider the scope of the Test Case, then it should have access to other variables. If this is needed, then you can always make the variable Global, or something along those lines

Bhawna Rani said:

I discovered you can just edit the map input variables from the “call test case” within the input column of the test case you are working on. its not the best solution, but the changes are reflected when you run the test. Just keep in mind this does not edit the local variables within the called test case.

@Liam_B Is this issue still under investigation? Any plan to consider it in next releases?

Hi @Liam_B, I think this is the same issue I encountered in Katalon 7.2.6 (trial version)
The edited value in Test Case A is not reflecting in the Test Case B, where in Test Case B i call the Test Case A

In Test Case B, I have something like this:
WebUI.callTestCase(findTestCase(‘pathForTestCaseA/Test Case A’), [(‘variableA’) : ‘value for variable A’],
FailureHandling.STOP_ON_FAILURE)

My assumption is that, whenever I change value for variable or add new variable in Test Case A, it will be automatically updated in the calling Test Case B so that I do not need to open each test cases (let say I have more than 100 tc that is calling Test Case A). It will be a quite tedious work to do and I also do not have trace in which test cases is actually calling Test Case A.

Can you confirm if the enhancement has been implemented in current version?
If you have any other workaround kindly share your idea.

Thanks in advance