Data driven testing from excel file is not picking up test data

Hi all,

New to this Katalon Studio. I am trying to execute Test Suite using Excel test data, but it is not picking up the test data from excel sheet. Here is my scenario.

loginTC- added variables and did data binding with testdata excel file and map all the fields
create orderTC -added variables and did data binding with testdata excel file and map all the fields
combineTC - Created a test case by combining two test cases loginTC and create orderTC
Test Suite- called combineTC (this has two called test cases)
now when i am running the test suite it is not reading test data from the excel. Selected Use variables and binding at test case level option. please suggest how to achieve test execution for two test cases using the same excel sheet and same row.

Thanks,

Hi,

Sorry for my late response due to the holidays. I found the document guiding the data-driven testing at TC level and Test suite level.. Can you please take a look and if possible, it will be better if you can provide the error log / your code? Thank you!

Hi Elly,

Thanks for replying. I have created my test cases using data driven testing and created variables and used data binding at test case level.
1- Created a test data and provided sheet name to Test Data in Data Files folder.
2- Created three test cases
TC1- Login with three variables which has data binding with data files
TC2- Create order with few more variables and has data binding with data files on test case level
TC3- Payment with few more variables and has data binding
Scenario: I want to execute all these test cases 10 times using different test data from the data files. Test data files has 10 rows
Problem: I called three test cases in a test suite and executed. The test cases execution takes first Test cases and execute 10 times, then pick TC2 and run 10 times…

I am not sure if I understood the purpose of test suite then. If it is executing each test cases separately 10 times then it is defeating the purpose of test suite… Please explain how can we achieve execution of whole set of test cases with each row from test data.
something like this…
TC1 pick test data from data files row 1
TC2 continue and pick test data from row 1
TC3 continue and pick test data from row 2… this end first test cases and then it starts a next row and so on…

Thanks,

I used a parent test case that loops over the rows in my excel datafile, pulls in the rows data in the loop, and calls TC1, TC2, and TC3 passing the data to them. This way TC1, TC2, and TC3 do not need the excel datafile binding themselves.