Conditional Test Case Execution in Test Suite

I have published a GitHub project:

Problem to solve

In the following repository, you can find a set of codes for explanation.

In this repository, you will find a Katalon Studio project with a Test Suite named TSa. The TSa consists of 4 Test Cases: TCa1, TCa2, TCa3 and TCa4. The TSa will invoke 4 Test Cases just sequentially. The TCa1, TCa2 and TCa4 — these 3 will finish quickly in a few seconds; but the TCa3 could run long (20 seconds, actually).

Regardless accidentally or intentionally, the TCa2 could fail. Even if the TCa2 failed, the Test Suite TSa will continue invoking the following Test cases TCa3 and TCa4, as the following screenshot shows:

1 TSa

Please note that:

1. The Test Case TCa2 failed intentionally.

2. The Test Case TCa3 was invoked and took 20 seconds to finish.

3. The Test Suite TSa took 23 seconds to finish.

Now I want to introduce a condition:

When the TCa2 failed, I do not like to wait for the TCa3 to finish, because the TCa3 is no longer worth executing (due to some reasons) when its predecessor TCa2 failed. Rather I want to stop the Test Suite as soon as possible so that I can start debugging the TCa2.

In the Katalon Studio GUI, I would keep watching it. I would notice any failures during a Test Suite runs, and I would able to stop the Test Suite by some manual intervention (clicking a “stop” button).

But the Katalon Runtime Engine provides very little chance to intervene the progress of a Test Suite run. When the TCa2 failed, still the TCa3 will be invoked. We have to wait for the TCa3 to finish (for 20 seconds, 2 minutes, 20 minutes or possibly 2 hours) before we can start trouble-shooting the TCa2’s failure. No other option is provided by Katalon.

Proposed Solution

This project provides a jar file which contains a Groovy class named

which is supposed to be used in a Katalon Studio project. Here is a sample Test Case script that utilizes it:

// Test Cases/conditional-withFailure/TCb3

import com.kazurayam.ks.TestCaseResults

import com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords as WebUI
import com.kms.katalon.core.model.FailureHandling as FailureHandling

TestCaseResults.assertTestCasePASSED("conditional-withFailure/TCb2")

WebUI.comment("conditional-withFailure/TCb3 is running")
WebUI.delay(5)
WebUI.comment("conditional-withFailure/TCb3 is running still")
WebUI.delay(5)
WebUI.comment("conditional-withFailure/TCb3 is running yet")
WebUI.delay(5)
WebUI.comment("conditional-withFailure/TCb3 is running even more")
WebUI.delay(5)

This is a Test Case named TCb3. The TCb3 is bundled in a Test Suite named TSb which consists of 4 Test Cases: TCb1, TCb2, TCb3 and TCb4. These 4 Test Cases will be executed just sequentially.

Let’s read the source code; the TCb3 is calling

TestCaseResults.assertTestCasePASSED("conditional-withFailure/TCb2")`

With this statement, the TCb3 makes an assertion that a Test Case "conditional-withFailure/TCb2" ran and finished PASSED before the TCb3. If the TCb2 is found PASSED, the call to assertTestCasePASSED() will return silent. The TCb3 will continue its processing. If the TCb2 is found Not PASSED, the call to assertTestCasePASSED() will raise a StepFailedException. The TCb3 will quit soon, it will skip its processing body. A call to TestCaseResults.assertTestCasePASSED(String testCaseId) enables you to conditionally execute your Test Case depending on the result of preceding Test Case in a Test Suite.

Solution Explained

Installing the jar file

A jar file that contains com.kazurayam.ks.TestCaseResult class is downloadable at the Releases page. You want to create your own Katalon Studio project. Download the jar into the Drivers folder in the project.

Create a Test Listener

You have to create a Test Listener. The name of Test Listener can be any. For example TL1. The code should be like this:

import com.kms.katalon.core.annotation.AfterTestCase
import com.kms.katalon.core.annotation.AfterTestSuite
import com.kms.katalon.core.context.TestCaseContext
import com.kms.katalon.core.context.TestSuiteContext

class TL1 {

@AfterTestCase
    def afterTestCase(TestCaseContext testCaseContext) {
        TestCaseResults.put(testCaseContext)
    }

@AfterTestSuite
    def afterTestSuite(TestSuiteContext testSuiteContext) {
        TestCaseResults.println()
    }

}

You would not need to customize it. Just copy & paste this sample.

This code transfers the execution results of Test Cases in a Test Suite to the instance of com.kazurayam.ks.TestCaseResults class. This code is mandatory to inform the TestCaseResults instance of the Test Cases’ result so that it can serve useful assertTestCasePASSED(String testCaseId) method.

Sample codes explained

Test Suite TSb consists of 4 Test Cases: TCb1, TCb2, TCb3 and TCb4.

TCb1

WebUI.comment("conditional-withFailure/TCb1 is running")

TCb2

// Test Cases/conditional-withFailure/TCb2

import com.kms.katalon.core.util.KeywordUtil

TestCaseResults.assertTestCasePASSED("conditional-withFailure/TCb1")
// or
//Boolean result = TestCaseResults.assertTestCasePASSED("conditional-withFailure/TCb1", FailureHandling.OPTIONAL)

WebUI.comment("conditional-withFailure/TCb2 is running")

KeywordUtil.markFailedAndStop("Test Cases/conditional-withFailure/TCb2 failed intentionally")

Please note that TCb2 will fail intentionally for demonstration purpose.

TCb3

// Test Cases/conditional-withFailure/TCb3

TestCaseResults.assertTestCasePASSED("conditional-withFailure/TCb2")

WebUI.comment("conditional-withFailure/TCb3 is running")
WebUI.delay(5)
WebUI.comment("conditional-withFailure/TCb3 is running still")
WebUI.delay(5)
WebUI.comment("conditional-withFailure/TCb3 is running yet")
WebUI.delay(5)
WebUI.comment("conditional-withFailure/TCb3 is running even more")
WebUI.delay(5)

Please note that TCb3 asserts that the preceding TCb2 passed. If the TCb2 is found NOT passed, then the TCb3 will quit soon without doing its long-running processing.

TCb4

TestCaseResults.assertTestCasePASSED("conditional-withFailure/TCb1")

WebUI.comment("conditional-withFailure/TCb4 is running")

How the TSb ran

When I ran the TSb, I saw the following result:

2 TSb

Please note the following points:

1. The Test Case TCb2 failed intentionally

2. The Test Case TCb3 started but failed quickly without performing its long-running processing. The TCb3 failed because the TCb2 failed.

3. The Test Suite TSb finished quickly in just 2 seconds.

Principally, The Test Suite TSa and TSb are quite similar. Both are intended to do the same test processing. However the TSb behaves quite differently when any of Test Case failed. The TSb is enabled to execute Test Cases conditionally using the com.kazurayam.ks.TestCaseResults.assertTestCasePASSED(String testCaseId) method call. So a Test Suite empowered by the assertTestCasePASSED can quit as soon as its member Test Case failed.

No longer you need to wait for a long-running Test Suite to finish after a failure even in the Katalon Runtime Engine.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing these tips with community!