Alt + Left_Arrow shortcut not works on Win10

Hi, the Backward History shortcut “Alt + Left” not works on Windows 10. Could anybody help to have a look or give me some instructions how to bypass this issue? I use Alt + Left heavily to backward history.

2 Likes

You can’t issue commands like “back” from test case code using keys. The test case is designed to control the application/web site running inside the browser whereas you are trying to control the browser itself.

You will need to use Selenium code in your test case:

driver.navigate().back();

https://www.selenium.dev/documentation/en/webdriver/browser_manipulation/#back

I’m not an expert in this area, but @Brandon_Hein is - he might have more advice for you.

If your set on using keys, the built-in WebUI.sendKeys() cannot handle function keys, unfortunately. To do so, use pure selenium:

DriverFactory.getWebDriver().sendKeys(Keys.chord(Keys.ALT, Keys.ARROW_LEFT))

Hi Brandon and Russ, thank you very much for the response and sorry about the confusing here. It’s related to the quick ways to navigate the editor using the keyboard but not about navigating the webdriver.

2 Likes

Am also looking for the same to navigate back to previous code in katalon studio editor. Any solution for this?

I would echo that alt-left (navigate backward) and alt-right (navigate forward). Do appear broken in KSE for windows 10, @Russ_Thomas could you confirm this? Thanks!

To avoid the confusion we saw above…

We’re talking about this, right?

No, it does nothing on my machine (KSE 7.9.0, Win10)

@ThanhTo @duyluong

Yes correct. Even if Kevin was talking about something else navigation with shortcuts for back and forward are broken on windows.

So, is there any traction on this? I’m evaluating Katalon as a replacement to my Selenium framework. I have used eclipse for that framework, and have never had an issue navigating back in the IDE. Having it broken in Katalon may be a non-starter for me.

@bjhiltbrand The good news is, you can accomplish anything you were doing with Selenium in Katalon as well (Katalon uses Selenium heavily). All it takes is getting the WebDriver instance, then sending keys to some element:

DriverFactory.getWebDriver().findElement(By.xpath("//body")).sendKeys(Keys.chord(Keys.ALT, Keys.ARROW_LEFT));