Unable to save part: can not change the default value of Variable to Test Case

My thought

IME is the clue

I believe that this incident has something to do with IME: Input Method Editor.

But what is IME? The following is quotation from Wikipedia.

An input method (or input method editor, commonly abbreviated IME) is an operating system component or program that allows any data, such as keyboard strokes or mouse movements, to be received as input. In this way users can enter characters and symbols not found on their input devices. Using an input method is obligatory for any language that has more graphemes than there are keys on the keyboard.

For instance, on the computer, this allows the user of Latin keyboards to input Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Indic characters; on many hand-held devices, such as mobile phones, it enables using the numeric keypad to enter Latin alphabet characters (or any other alphabet characters) or a screen display to be touched to do so. On some operating systems, an input method is also used to define the behaviour of the dead keys.

See the following picture. In there you can see IME in action. IM_in_action.png

I work on a PC with Language=ja_JP, so IME is fully functional. But other people who live in English domain are not likely to be familiar with IME because they would never use it. IME is not enabled on their devices.

What is involved for Java application to work with IME

I am not very much familiar with GUI programing in Java. I wanted to learn how to write a Java program which displays Window using Eclipse SWT API, accept input/output in a IME-enabled text field.

By a quick search I found the following page provides a handy sample code: Java2s.com : Add focus in/out event to Text : Text Event « SWT « Java Tutorial

What is happening on the Variables tab for Test Case in Katalon Studio?

The above sample code has the following fragment.

t2.addListener(SWT.FocusOut, new Listener() {
  public void handleEvent(Event e) {
   System.out.println("focus out");
  }
});

SWT Text object needs a Listener object registered for the SWT.FocusOut event. The SWT.FocusOut event is fired when I move the cursor out of the IME-enabled input field to somewhere outside of it.

I guess, Katalon Studio has a small shortage. It does not implement the Listener for the SWT.FocusOut for the input fieds, or the implemented Listener is incomplete somehow. .

Just I guessed so.

3 Likes