ExecutionProfilesLoader v2.0 with listing GlogalVariables in action + creating GlobalVariables with Map

I have updated my GitHub project to v.2.0

Background

GlobalVariables and Execution Profile is a feature in Katalon Studio that enable users parameterise values of variables out of test script source. With GlobalVariables we can reduce code duplication and reuse test scripts for multiple cases.

The following screenshot shows how we apply Execution Profiles to Test Suites.

weCanApplyOnlyOneExecutionProfileBeforeRunningTest

As this screenshot indicates, a user has to choose a single Execution Profile for a test run before you start it . You can NOT apply 2 or more Profiles to a single test run. Your script can NOT determine programmatically which Profiles to load.

Problems to solve

In my option, Katalon Studio provides a basic set of capabilities for utilizing GlobalVariables. The functionalities provided are not versatile. I think that Katalon Studio is designed with implicit assumption that a user would need just a few Execution Profiles with small number of GlobalVariables — 10 GlobalVariables in 5 Execution Profiles, for example. This assumption may apply to some projects but not to the real business projects.

Please imagine a situation where I have got 50 Execution Profiles each of which contains 10 GlobalVariables, resulting in over 500 values of GV; and a single name of GlobalVariable (e.g, URL , ENVIRONMENT ) appears in multiple Execution Profiles with different initial values declared.

In such situation I find the following problems:

1. My project has a GlobalVariable, e.g, ENVIRONMENT , declared in multiple Execution Profiles. But I can not remember which Profiles contains that GV. I have to look into the 50 Execution Profiles one by one for the GV ENVIRONMENT . It is time-consuming and tiring. Katalon Studio does not provide any feature that helps me looking up a GlobalVariable amongst bunches of Execution Profiles.
  2. I want to apply 2 or more Profiles to a single test run . In other words, I want to be able to modularize Execution Profiles into parts; and build a full set of GlobalVariables for a test run by joining selected modulus Profiles.
  3. I want a capability that my test script can choose which Profiles to load programmatically runtime .

My ExecutionProfilesLoader project addresses all these problems and provides sufficient solutions for me. Please have a look into the document for more detail.

How to use this artifact in your project

In order to use this library, you need to download the jar into the Drivers folder of your Katalon Studio Project. See the following Katalon docs for detail.

The artifact of ExecutionProfilesLoader project is available at the Maven Central Repository. See

API doc

2 Likes

1. Listing Profiles and GlobalVariables defined in the Profiles storage

When you want to use GlobalVariables in a Katalon Studio project, you need to work in the Katalon Studio GUI and create a Profile in the Profiles directory. In Profiles you will declare some GlobalVariable (s) with name and initial values.

If you have got many Profiles and many GlobalVariables defined, you are likely to get lost where a specific name of GlobalVariable is defined. Unfortunately Katalon Studio provides no API which scans through the entities contained in the Profiles directory. So, this library provides some Custom Keywords that enable your test scripts look over the Profiles and the GlobalVariables defined in the .glbl files under the Profiles directory.

1.1 List all Profiles

Given that there are many Execution Profiles defined in a project, for example like this:

ExecutionProfilesDefined

Problem to solve:

I want my test script get a list of all names of Execution Profiles and print them in the console.

Sample Test Case:

// Test Cases/main/1_listing/1_listAllProfiles

List<String> profiles = CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookOverExecutionProfilesKeyword.listAllProfiles'()

for (String profile in profiles) {
    println profile
}

Output:

2022-05-06 22:32:10.453 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2022-05-06 22:32:10.458 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/main/1_listing/1_listAllProfiles
2022-05-06 22:32:11.169 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ProfilesHelper.listAllProfiles is PASSED
demoDevelopmentEnvironment
demoProductionEnvironment
main_category0
main_category1
main_category2
main_category3
main_envDevelopment
main_envProduction
main_envStaging
main_includeSheets_ALL
main_includeSheets_CompanyA
main_includeSheets_CompanyB
main_includeSheets_CompanyC
main_includeSheets_GroupG
main_includeURLs_ALL
main_includeURLs_login
main_includeURLs_top
test_A
test_B
test_C
2022-05-06 22:32:11.228 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/main/1_listing/1_listAllProfiles

1.2 List profiles filtered by name with regex

Problem to solve:

I want my test script to select some of Execution Profiles filtered by name with Regular Expression.

Sample Test Case:

// Test Cases/main/1_listing/2_listProfiles

List<String> filtered = CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookOverExecutionProfilesKeyword.listProfiles'("test_\\w+")

for (String profile in filtered) {
    println profile
}

Please note, "test_\\w+" is a Pattern of Regular Expression in Java. It matches with a Profile name that starts with a string “test_” followed by 1 or more alpha-numeric characters. For example, the Profile test_A does match, but the Profile default doesn’t.

Output:

2022-05-07 09:35:09.118 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2022-05-07 09:35:09.122 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/main/1_listing/2_listProfilesFiltered
2022-05-07 09:35:09.767 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ProfilesHelper.listProfiles is PASSED
test_A
test_B
test_C
2022-05-07 09:35:09.822 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/main/1_listing/2_listProfilesFiltered

1.3 List all GlobalVariables defined in the Profiles directory

Problem to solve:

I want my test script to list all GlobalVariables defined in all Execution Profiles. If a single GlobalVariable name appears in 2 Profiles, I want 2 lines of the GlobalVariable with different Profile name are associated.

The output line should show the following items

• name of GlobalVariable
  • name of Execution Profile which contains the GV
  • initial value of the GV declared in the Profile

These 3 items should be delimited by TAB characters.

Sample code:

// Test Cases/main/1_listing/3_listAllGlobalVariable

List<String> gvipStrList = 
    CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookOverExecutionProfilesKeyword.listAllGlobalVariables'()

for (String gvipStr in gvipStrList) {
    println gvipStr
}

Output:

2022-05-07 20:20:17.797 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2022-05-07 20:20:17.804 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/main/1_listing/3_listAllGlobalVariableInProfile
2022-05-07 20:20:19.259 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ProfilesHelper.listAllGlobalVariableInProfile is PASSED
AVAR1   test_A  'I\'m from test_A'
AVAR2   test_A  999
AVAR3   test_A  [('keyA') : 'valueA', ('keyB') : true]
BVAR1   test_B  'I\'m from test_B'
CATEGORY    default 0
CATEGORY    main_category0  0
CATEGORY    main_category1  1
CATEGORY    main_category2  2
CATEGORY    main_category3  3
CONFIG  default './Include/fixture/Config.xlsx'
DEBUG_MODE  default false
EMPTY_VARIABLE  test_C  ''
ENVIRONMENT default ''
ENVIRONMENT main_envDevelopment 'Development'
ENVIRONMENT main_envProduction  'Production'
ENVIRONMENT main_envStaging 'Staging'
Hostname    default 'demoaut.katalon.com'
INCLUDE_SHEETS  default []
INCLUDE_SHEETS  main_includeSheets_ALL  []
INCLUDE_SHEETS  main_includeSheets_CompanyA ['CompanyA']
INCLUDE_SHEETS  main_includeSheets_CompanyB ['CompanyB']
INCLUDE_SHEETS  main_includeSheets_CompanyC ['CompanyC']
INCLUDE_SHEETS  main_includeSheets_GroupG   ['CompanyL', 'CompanyM', 'CompanyN']
INCLUDE_URLS    default []
INCLUDE_URLS    main_includeURLs_ALL    []
INCLUDE_URLS    main_includeURLs_login  ['login.html']
INCLUDE_URLS    main_includeURLs_top    ['top.html']
NULL_VARIABLE   test_C  null
SAVE_HTML   default false
TIMEOUT default 10
URL1    demoDevelopmentEnvironment  'http://demoaut-mimic.kazurayam.com/'
URL1    demoProductionEnvironment   'http://demoaut.katalon.com/'
myList  test_C  ['I\'m from test_C', 8090]
2022-05-07 20:20:19.388 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/main/1_listing/3_listAllGlobalVariableInProfile

1.4 List GlobalVariables filtered by its name

Problem to solve:

I want my test script to list GlobalVariables filtered by its name with Regular Expression.

Sample code:

// Test Cases/main/1_listing/4_listGlobalVariable

List<String> gvipList = CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookOverExecutionProfilesKeyword.listGlobalVariables'('ENV.*')

for (String gvip in gvipList) {
    println gvip
}

The Regular Expression ENV.\* matches with a GlobalVariable name which starts with a string “ENV” followed by zero or more any characters.

Output:

2022-05-07 20:53:12.722 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2022-05-07 20:53:12.727 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/main/1_listing/4_listGlobalVariableInProfile
2022-05-07 20:53:13.800 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ProfilesHelper.listGlobalVariableInProfile is PASSED
ENVIRONMENT default ''
ENVIRONMENT main_envDevelopment 'Development'
ENVIRONMENT main_envProduction  'Production'
ENVIRONMENT main_envStaging 'Staging'
2022-05-07 20:53:13.853 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/main/1_listing/4_listGlobalVariableInProfile

1.5 List GlobalVariables filtered by the GV name and the Profile name with Regex

Problem to solve:

I want my test script to list GlobalVariables while filtering by both of the GlobalVariable name and by the Profile name.

Sample code:

// Test Cases/main/1_listing/4_listGlobalVariable

List<String> gvipList = CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookOverExecutionProfilesKeyword.listGlobalVariablesInProfiles'(
    'ENV.*|URL.*', 'd.*')

for (String gvip in gvipList) {
    println gvip
}

The listGlobalVariablesInProfiles method takes 2 arguments. The 1st argument is a regex that matches with the name of GlobalVariable. The 2nd argument is a regex that matches with the name of Profile.

Output:

2022-05-08 21:36:22.747 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2022-05-08 21:36:22.750 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/docs/1_looking-over_Profiles/5_listGlobalVariablesInProfiles
2022-05-08 21:36:23.974 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookOverExecutionProfilesKeyword.listGlobalVariablesInProfiles is PASSED

ENVIRONMENT default ''
URL1    demoDevelopmentEnvironment  'http://demoaut-mimic.kazurayam.com/'
URL1    demoProductionEnvironment   'http://demoaut.katalon.com/'

2022-05-08 21:36:24.016 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/docs/1_looking-over_Profiles/5_lis
2 Likes

2. Loading Profiles by code

Katalon Studio requires you to specify a Profile before launching a test. Katalon Studio provides no way to load Profile(s) by code while your test is running. I would argue that this design is short for a lot of test scenarios.

This library provides a Custom Keywords that supports loading Profile(s) in more flexible manner.

2.1 Loading a Profile programmatically

The following sample code shows how to :

1. resolve the name of Profile to load by code
  2. load the Profile and update the values of GlobalVariables in action with the initial values declared in the Profile.

Sample code:

// Test Cases/docs/2_loading_Profiles/1_loading_a_Profile_programaticaly

import internal.GlobalVariable

println "\n" + "[BEFORE] GlobalVariable.URL1 = " + GlobalVariable.URL1 + "\n"

CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfiles'("demoProductionEnvironment")

println "\n" + "[AFTER] GlobalVariable.URL1 = " + GlobalVariable.URL1 + "\n"

Output:

2022-05-08 22:04:35.727 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2022-05-08 22:04:35.731 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/docs/2_loading_Profiles/1_loading_a_Profile_programatically

[BEFORE] GlobalVariable.URL1 = null

[AFTER] GlobalVariable.URL1 = http://demoaut.katalon.com/

2022-05-08 22:04:36.958 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/docs/2_loading_Profiles/1_loading_a_Profile_programaticaly

Please find that the GlobalVariable.URL1 was null before the Profile demoProductionEnvironment was loaded. After the Profile was loaded by calling ExecutionProfileLoader.loadProfile(String) , the value changed. Of course, the new value was loaded out of the Profile specified.

2.2 Loading Profiles multiple times

The following sample code shows that your test script can repeat loading Profile(s) multiple times and update a single GlobalVariable to have 2 or more values during a test run.

Sample code:

// Test Cases/docs/2_loading_Profiles/2_loading_Profiles_multiple_times

println "\n" + "[1] GlobalVariable.URL1 = " + GlobalVariable.URL1 + "\n"

CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfiles'("demoProductionEnvironment")

println "\n" + "[2] GlobalVariable.URL1 = " + GlobalVariable.URL1 + "\n"

CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfiles'("demoDevelopmentEnvironment")

println "\n" + "[3] GlobalVariable.URL1 = " + GlobalVariable.URL1 + "\n"

Output:

2022-05-08 22:16:49.457 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2022-05-08 22:16:49.460 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/docs/2_loading_Profiles/2_loading_Profiles_multiple_times

[1] GlobalVariable.URL1 = null

2022-05-08 22:16:50.733 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfiles is PASSED

[2] GlobalVariable.URL1 = http://demoaut.katalon.com/

2022-05-08 22:16:50.779 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfiles is PASSED

[3] GlobalVariable.URL1 = http://demoaut-mimic.kazurayam.com/

2022-05-08 22:16:50.841 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/docs/2_loading_Profiles/2_loading_Profiles_multiple_times

2.3 Loading multiple Profiles at once

The following sample code shows that a test script can load multiple Profiles together at once.

Sample code:

// Test Cases/docs/2_loading_Profiles/3_loading_multiple_Profiles_at_once

println ""
println "[BEFORE] GlobalVariable.CATEGORY = " + GlobalVariable.CATEGORY 
println "[BEFORE] GlobalVariable.ENVIRONMENT = " + GlobalVariable.ENVIRONMENT
println "[BEFORE] GlobalVariable.INCLUDE_SHEETS = " + GlobalVariable.INCLUDE_SHEETS
println "[BEFORE] GlobalVariable.INCLUDE_URLS = " + GlobalVariable.INCLUDE_URLS
println ""

CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfiles'(
    "main_category3",
    "main_envDevelopment",
    "main_includeSheets_GroupG",
    "main_includeURLs_top")

println ""
println "[AFTER] GlobalVariable.CATEGORY = " + GlobalVariable.CATEGORY
println "[AFTER] GlobalVariable.ENVIRONMENT = " + GlobalVariable.ENVIRONMENT
println "[AFTER] GlobalVariable.INCLUDE_SHEETS = " + GlobalVariable.INCLUDE_SHEETS
println "[AFTER] GlobalVariable.INCLUDE_URLS = " + GlobalVariable.INCLUDE_URLS
println ""

Output:

2022-05-08 22:28:38.714 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2022-05-08 22:28:38.717 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/docs/2_loading_Profiles/3_loading_multiple_Profiles_at_once

[BEFORE] GlobalVariable.CATEGORY = 0
[BEFORE] GlobalVariable.ENVIRONMENT =
[BEFORE] GlobalVariable.INCLUDE_SHEETS = []
[BEFORE] GlobalVariable.INCLUDE_URLS = []

2022-05-08 22:28:40.162 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfiles is PASSED

[AFTER] GlobalVariable.CATEGORY = 3
[AFTER] GlobalVariable.ENVIRONMENT = Development
[AFTER] GlobalVariable.INCLUDE_SHEETS = [CompanyL, CompanyM, CompanyN]
[AFTER] GlobalVariable.INCLUDE_URLS = [top.html]

2022-05-08 22:28:40.203 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/docs/2_loading_Profiles/3_loading_multiple_Profiles_at_once

This sample tells you that the ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfies(String…​ profileNames) enables you to modularize Profiles. What do I mean by “modularize Profiles”?

Let me assume I have the following 15 Profiles. Each of them contains a single GlobalVariable: CATEGORY , ENVIRONMENT , INCLUDE_SHEETS , INCLUDE_URLS .

$ tree .
├── main_category0.glbl
├── main_category1.glbl
├── main_category2.glbl
├── main_category3.glbl
├── main_envDevelopment.glbl
├── main_envProduction.glbl
├── main_envStaging.glbl
├── main_includeSheets_ALL.glbl
├── main_includeSheets_CompanyA.glbl
├── main_includeSheets_CompanyB.glbl
├── main_includeSheets_CompanyC.glbl
├── main_includeSheets_GroupG.glbl
├── main_includeURLs_ALL.glbl
├── main_includeURLs_login.glbl
├── main_includeURLs_top.glbl

As you can guess from the above, GlobalVariable.CATEGORY can possibly take 4 variations of values, ENVIRONMENT can take 3, INCLUDE_SHEETS can take 5, and INCLUDE_URLS can take 3. So my test script can programmatically enumerate 4 * 3 * 5 * 3 = 180 possible combinations of values provided with 15 Profiles manually prepared. If I need to increase the number of INCLUDE_SHEETS values from 5 → 10, then the number of combinations will go up to 4 * 3 * 10 * 3 = 360.

If I don’t have the ExecutionProfilesLoader class, I have to prepare 180 or 360 Profiles manually in Katalon Studio’s GUI. It’s just terrible. Modularization of Execution Profiles by ExecutionProfilesLoader class shines to me.

3. Looking at GlobalVariables in action

In a test case script, you can write a code like this:

println "\n" + "GlobalVariable.Hostname=" + GlobalVariable.Hostname + "\n"

This will give you an output like this:

2022-05-08 22:57:04.910 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2022-05-08 22:57:04.914 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/docs/3_looking-at_GlobalVariables_in_action/0_show_GlobalVariable_value

GlobalVariable.Hostname=demoaut.katalon.com

2022-05-08 22:57:05.937 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/docs/3_looking-at_GlobalVariables_in_action/0_show_GlobalVariable_value

OK. Then, how can I list all of GlobalVariables currently in action in scope of the running test? Any Katalon’s API? — No. Katalon’s API does not support it.

This library support a feature of looking at GlobalVariables in action.

3.1 Looking at GlobalVariables

Sample code:

// Test Cases/main/3_retrieving_GlobalVariables_in_memory/1_show_GVs_loaded_from_default

CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfile'('default')

String GVsLoadedFromDefaultProfile = CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword.toJson'()
println "\n" + "GVsLoadedFromDefaultProfile: " + GVsLoadedFromDefaultProfile + "\n"

String GVsLoadedFromDefaultProfile_pretty = CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword.toJson'(true)
println "\n" + "GVsLoadedFromDefaultProfile_pretty: " + GVsLoadedFromDefaultProfile_pretty + "\n"

Output:

2022-05-08 23:10:57.941 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2022-05-08 23:10:57.947 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/docs/3_looking-at_GlobalVariables_in_action/1_look-at_GVs_loaded_from_the_default_Profile
2022-05-08 23:10:59.349 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfile is PASSED
2022-05-08 23:10:59.487 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword.toJson is PASSED

GVsLoadedFromDefaultProfile: {"CATEGORY":0,"CONFIG":"./Include/fixture/Config.xlsx","DEBUG_MODE":false,"ENVIRONMENT":"","Hostname":"demoaut.katalon.com","INCLUDE_SHEETS":[],"INCLUDE_URLS":[],"SAVE_HTML":false,"TIMEOUT":10}

2022-05-08 23:10:59.548 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword.toJson is PASSED

GVsLoadedFromDefaultProfile_pretty: {
  "CATEGORY": 0.0,
  "CONFIG": "./Include/fixture/Config.xlsx",
  "DEBUG_MODE": false,
  "ENVIRONMENT": "",
  "Hostname": "demoaut.katalon.com",
  "INCLUDE_SHEETS": [],
  "INCLUDE_URLS": [],
  "SAVE_HTML": false,
  "TIMEOUT": 10.0
}

2022-05-08 23:10:59.560 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/docs/3_looking-at_GlobalVariables_in_action/1_look-at_GVs_loaded_from_the_default_Profile

As you can see, the toJson() method of LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword class generates a JSON string, which contains all GlobalVariables that are present in scope of the running test. The toJson(true) makes the JSON string to be pretty-printed with NEWLINEs and indents.

This JSON shows the current value of GlobalVariables in memory, which could be different from the initial values written in the .glbl files in the Profiles directory.

3.2 Looking at GlobalVariables

When you do not explicity specify a Profile to load, Katalon Studio loads the default Profiles. Consequently the JSON by LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword.toJson() will show GlobalVariables as defined in the default Profile. If you call ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfile(String profileName) , then the JSON will overwrite the GlobalVariables with values loaded out of the specified Profile. The following sample code shows this scenario.

Sample code:

// Test Cases/main/3_retrieving_GlobalVariables_in_memory/2_look-at_GVs_added_with_another_Profile

CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfile'('default')

String defaultJson = CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword.toJson'(true)
println "\n" + "loaded from the default profile: " + defaultJson + "\n"

CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfile'('test_A')

String plusJson = CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword.toJson'(true)
println "\n" + "plus test_A: " + plusJson + "\n"

Output:

2022-05-08 23:07:27.013 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2022-05-08 23:07:27.017 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/docs/3_looking-at_GlobalVariables_in_action/2_look-at_GVs_loaded_from_multiple_Profiles
2022-05-08 23:07:28.414 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfile is PASSED
2022-05-08 23:07:28.531 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword.toJson is PASSED

loaded from the default profile: {
}

2022-05-08 23:07:28.614 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadProfile is PASSED
2022-05-08 23:07:28.644 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword.toJson is PASSED

plus test_A: {
  "AVAR1": "I\u0027m from test_A",
  "AVAR2": 999.0,
  "AVAR3": {
    "keyA": "valueA",
    "keyB": true
  },
}

2022-05-08 23:07:28.654 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/docs/3_looking-at_GlobalVariables_in_action/2_look-at_GVs_loaded_from_multiple_Profiles

4. Creating GlobalVariables without Profile

In Katalon Studio, if you want to add a new GlobalVariable to use in your test script, you have to prepare a Profile where you declare the name of the GV. Katalon Studio provides no way to add a GlobalVariable programmatically without the glbl files.

This library supports creating GlobalVariable(s) with an instance of java.util.Map<String, Object> as parameter.

Please note that an additional GlobalVariable is present only in memory during a run of test; it is not persisted into any glbl file in the Profiles directory.

4.1 Creating GlobalVariables with an instance of Map<String,Object>

Just see the sample code. You will easily see what happens.

Sample code:

// Test Cases/docs/4_creating_GlobalVariables_dynamically/1_creating_GV_from_Map_object

String beforeAddition = CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword.toJson'(true)

println "\n" + "[BEFORE] " + beforeAddition + "\n"

int count = CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadEntries'(
		[
			"MY_FAVORITE_AUTHOR": "King, Steven",
			"MY_CURRENT_READ": "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption"
		])

println ""
println "GlobalVariable.MY_FAVORITE_AUTHOR = " + GlobalVariable.MY_FAVORITE_AUTHOR
println "GlobalVariable.MY_CURRENT_READ = " + GlobalVariable.MY_CURRENT_READ

GlobalVariable.MY_CURRENT_READ = "SHINING"

println "GlobalVariable.MY_CURRENT_READ = " + GlobalVariable.MY_CURRENT_READ
println ""

String afterAddition = CustomKeywords.'com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword.toJson'(true)

println "\n" + "[AFTER] " + afterAddition + "\n"

Output:

2022-05-10 20:47:48.328 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2022-05-10 20:47:48.334 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/docs/4_creating_GlobalVariables_dynamically/1_creating_GV_from_Map_objects
2022-05-10 20:47:50.091 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword.toJson is PASSED

[BEFORE] {
}

2022-05-10 20:47:50.296 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.ExecutionProfilesLoader.loadEntries is PASSED

GlobalVariable.MY_FAVORITE_AUTHOR = King, Steven
GlobalVariable.MY_CURRENT_READ = Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption
GlobalVariable.MY_CURRENT_READ = SHINING

2022-05-10 20:47:50.332 INFO  k.k.c.m.CustomKeywordDelegatingMetaClass - com.kazurayam.ks.globalvariable.LookAtGlobalVariablesKeyword.toJson is PASSED

[AFTER] {
  "MY_CURRENT_READ": "SHINING",
  "MY_FAVORITE_AUTHOR": "King, Steven",
}

2022-05-10 20:47:50.345 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/docs/4_creating_GlobalVariables_dynamically/1_creating_GV_from_Map_objects

Background story: why I developed this library

A few years ago (sometime in 2019) I developed a project with Katalon Studio where I wanted to implement the following items.

1. I want to compare 2 URLs: http://demoaut.katalon.com and http://demoaut-mimic.kazurayam.com to find if these 2 pages have any visual differences.
  2. I will write 3 script modules
  • preProsess, which does some preparention (create work directories, etc)
  • processURL, which will visit a URL and take a screenshot
  • postProcess, which will compile a report in HTML format
  1. I want to use a GlobalVariable.URL to tell the processURL module of the target URL string.
  2. I want to create 2 Execution Profiles named demoProductionEnv and demoDevelopmentEnv .
  3. I want to execute the processURL module 2 twice while applying 2 Profiles demoProductionEnv and demoDevelopmentEnv

Yes. I could develop a set of code that implements this idea.

You can try it by opening the Test Suites/demo_using_TestSuiteCollection of this Katalon project. The following screenshot shows how that Test Suite Collection is constructed.

demo2 TSC

The Test Suite Collection TCS comprises with the following code modules.

1. Test Suites/demo_using_TestSuiteCollection/TSC
  2. Test Suites/demo_using_TestSuiteCollection/preProcess
  3. Test Suites/demo_using_TestSuiteCollection/processURL
  4. Test Suites/demo_using_TestSuiteCollection/postProcess
  5. Test Cases/demo/demo_using_TestSuiteCollection/preProcess
  6. Test Cases/demo/demo_using_TestSuiteCollection/processURL
  7. Test Cases/demo/demo_using_TestSuiteCollection/postProcess

7 modules! The problem I wanted to solve was simple, but the code set I got was complicated as such. Why?

The reason is that Katalon Studio does not provide any means of loading an Execution Profile in test script programmatically. Katalon Studio forces me to create a Test Suite Collection, in which I execute the Test Suite processURL 2 twice while applying 2 Profiles demoProductionEnv and demoEnvironmentEnv .

I thought about this for several months and I got an idea of the ExecutionProfilesLoader class. This tool changes many things.

Now I have developed the ExecutionProfilesLoader and other classes. Using this supportive library, I could develop an alternative solution. The following single Test Case script of just 84 lines does exactly the same as my old solution achieved.

Conclusion

The ExecutionProfilesLoader library helps me organize my Katalon projects with GlobalVariables with much flexibilities.

2 Likes

Thank you @kazurayam for the great sharing. This significantly benefits our community knowledge and usage practice.

Kudos to your great work and dedication.

Best,
Vu Tran

The core & mysterious part of my library is this:

Line#69-107:

/**
	 * "GVEntity" means "an entity of the GlobalVariable object" for short.
	 * insert a public static property with "name" of type java.lang.Object
	 * into the internal.GlobalVarialbe runtime.
	 * e.g, GVH.addGVEntity('my_new_variable', 'foo') makes
	 * 1) internal.GlobalVariable.my_new_variable to be present and to have value 'foo'
	 * 2) internal.GlobalVariable.getMy_new_variale() to return 'foo'
	 * 3) internal.GlobalVariable.setMy_new_variable('bar') to set 'bar' as the value
	 * @param name
	 * @param value
	 */
	int addGVEntity(String name, Object value) {

// check if the "name" is declared as a property of internal.GlobalVariable object statically or not
		if (staticGVEntitiesKeySet().contains(name)) {
			// Yes, the internal.GlobalVariable object has "name" already.
			// No need to add the name. Just update the value
			GlobalVariable[name] = value

return 0

} else {
			// No, the "name" is not present. Let's add a new property using Groovy's ExpandoMetaClass

// the characters in the name must be valid as a Groovy variable name
			validateGVEntityName(name)

// obtain the ExpandoMetaClass of the internal.GlobalVariable class
			MetaClass mc = GlobalVariable.metaClass

// register the Getter method for the name
			String getterName = getGetterName(name)
			mc.'static'."${getterName}" = { -> return additionalGVEntities[name] }

// register the Setter method for the name
			String setterName = getSetterName(name)
			mc.'static'."${setterName}" = { newValue ->
				additionalGVEntities[name] = newValue
			}