An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: The instrumentation process cannot be initialized

I am trying to automate a mobile application. I have configured katalon studio for mobile testing ( followed this step https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/tutorials/setting_mobile_application_automation.html )
But every time i try to record or run sample test case I keep getting an error message:

1 Like

I am getting the same errors here with:
Windows 8.1, Katalon 6.2.0 (by upgrade) (Appium 1.12.1 as stated in https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/new/version-620.html), 1 Android emulator and 2 real Android devices.
The difference for me is I am starting an application that was previously starting ok with Katalon 6.1.5 and Appium 1.7.2 (Which I can confirm it still functions as expected, I have rolled both of them back).

I have also made a test with the default GIT Android test project that Katalon provides. Katalon 6.2.0 and Appium 1.12.1 are throwing the same error there also. So the default projects are not stable either.

See bellow original log:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2019-06-11 15:58:22.654
!MESSAGE
!STACK 0
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.openqa.selenium.SessionNotCreatedException: Unable to create a new remote session. Please check the server log for more details. Original error: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: The instrumentation process cannot be initialized. Make sure the application under test does not crash and investigate the logcat output.
Build info: version: ‘unknown’, revision: ‘unknown’, time: ‘unknown’
System info: host: ‘Cornel-PC’, ip: ‘10.10.10.211’, os.name: ‘Windows 8.1’, os.arch: ‘amd64’, os.version: ‘6.3’, java.version: ‘1.8.0_181’
Driver info: driver.version: SwipeableAndroidDriver
remote stacktrace: UnknownError: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: The instrumentation process cannot be initialized. Make sure the application under test does not crash and investigate the logcat output.
at getResponseForW3CError (C:\Users\Cornel\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\appium\node_modules\appium-base-driver\lib\protocol\errors.js:826:9)
at asyncHandler (C:\Users\Cornel\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\appium\node_modules\appium-base-driver\lib\protocol\protocol.js:447:37)
System info: host: ‘Cornel-PC’, ip: ‘10.10.10.211’, os.name: ‘Windows 8.1’, os.arch: ‘amd64’, os.version: ‘6.3’, java.version: ‘1.8.0_181’
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:192)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.components.impl.dialogs.ProgressMonitorDialogWithThread.runAndWait(ProgressMonitorDialogWithThread.java:49)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.mobile.objectspy.components.LocalAppComposite$7.run(LocalAppComposite.java:268)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:119)
Caused by: org.openqa.selenium.SessionNotCreatedException: Unable to create a new remote session. Please check the server log for more details. Original error: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: The instrumentation process cannot be initialized. Make sure the application under test does not crash and investigate the logcat output.
remote stacktrace: UnknownError: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: The instrumentation process cannot be initialized. Make sure the application under test does not crash and investigate the logcat output.
at getResponseForW3CError (C:\Users\Cornel\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\appium\node_modules\appium-base-driver\lib\protocol\errors.js:826:9)
at asyncHandler (C:\Users\Cornel\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\appium\node_modules\appium-base-driver\lib\protocol\protocol.js:447:37)
at io.appium.java_client.remote.AppiumCommandExecutor$1.createSession(AppiumCommandExecutor.java:208)
at io.appium.java_client.remote.AppiumCommandExecutor.createSession(AppiumCommandExecutor.java:217)
at io.appium.java_client.remote.AppiumCommandExecutor.execute(AppiumCommandExecutor.java:239)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.execute(RemoteWebDriver.java:552)
at io.appium.java_client.DefaultGenericMobileDriver.execute(DefaultGenericMobileDriver.java:42)
at io.appium.java_client.AppiumDriver.execute(AppiumDriver.java:1)
at io.appium.java_client.android.AndroidDriver.execute(AndroidDriver.java:1)
at com.kms.katalon.core.appium.driver.SwipeableAndroidDriver.execute(SwipeableAndroidDriver.java:1)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.startSession(RemoteWebDriver.java:213)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.(RemoteWebDriver.java:131)
at io.appium.java_client.DefaultGenericMobileDriver.(DefaultGenericMobileDriver.java:38)
at io.appium.java_client.AppiumDriver.(AppiumDriver.java:84)
at io.appium.java_client.AppiumDriver.(AppiumDriver.java:94)
at io.appium.java_client.android.AndroidDriver.(AndroidDriver.java:95)
at com.kms.katalon.core.appium.driver.SwipeableAndroidDriver.(SwipeableAndroidDriver.java:19)
at com.kms.katalon.core.appium.driver.AppiumDriverManager.createMobileDriver(AppiumDriverManager.java:463)
at com.kms.katalon.core.appium.driver.AppiumDriverManager.createMobileDriver(AppiumDriverManager.java:447)
at com.kms.katalon.core.mobile.keyword.internal.MobileDriverFactory.startMobileDriver(MobileDriverFactory.java:392)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.mobile.objectspy.dialog.MobileInspectorController.startMobileApp(MobileInspectorController.java:134)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.mobile.objectspy.components.LocalAppComposite$7$1.call(LocalAppComposite.java:272)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.components.impl.dialogs.ProgressMonitorDialogWithThread.startThreadAndWait(ProgressMonitorDialogWithThread.java:36)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.components.impl.dialogs.ProgressMonitorDialogWithThread.runAndWait(ProgressMonitorDialogWithThread.java:48)
… 2 more
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at io.appium.java_client.remote.AppiumCommandExecutor$1.createSession(AppiumCommandExecutor.java:186)
… 25 more
Caused by: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: The instrumentation process cannot be initialized. Make sure the application under test does not crash and investigate the logcat output.
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.W3CHandshakeResponse.lambda$errorHandler$0(W3CHandshakeResponse.java:62)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.HandshakeResponse.lambda$getResponseFunction$0(HandshakeResponse.java:30)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.ProtocolHandshake.lambda$createSession$0(ProtocolHandshake.java:126)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$3$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:193)
at java.util.Spliterators$ArraySpliterator.tryAdvance(Spliterators.java:958)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEachWithCancel(ReferencePipeline.java:126)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyIntoWithCancel(AbstractPipeline.java:498)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:485)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471)
at java.util.stream.FindOps$FindOp.evaluateSequential(FindOps.java:152)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.findFirst(ReferencePipeline.java:464)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.ProtocolHandshake.createSession(ProtocolHandshake.java:128)
… 30 more

Running appium-doctor returns no significant error of configuration.
I have upgraded Appium by first uninstall and then fresh install.

@devalex88, @duyluong please update us if Katalon 6.2.0 is indeed stable with Appium 1.12.1 or above 1.8.1 (xCode 10.2 etc), or a hint on what may be wrong.

Thank you,
Cornel Neacsu!

Hi @Neacsu_Cornel,

If you upgrade appium from v1.8.1 to v1.12.1. Please follow these manual instruction:

• Manually remove io.appium.uiautomator2.server.test and appium.uiautomator2.server from your devices.
  • Manually delete folder C://<user_folder>/.katalon/tools/android_sdk and let Katalon download again.

Thanks

1 Like

My issue has been solved. Looks like there was a version with appium. I did my research and I found that it is recommended to user Appium version below 1.8.1. for Katalon.

@Neacsu_Cornel Let me know if its the same with you as well.

@duyluong I confirm your tweaks solves the problem for both real devices and emulator.
Appium 1.12.1 and XCode 10.2 is brilliant!!!
Thank you for support and hard development effort!

@poonampahari if you read my post and follow the link you will notice that latest Katalon Studio 6.2.0 now supports Appium 1.12.1.

Cornel

1 Like

Hello there … I am trying to automate a mobile application. Below is the error.

Hope i Can get a solution.

1 Like

i have a similar problem when testing for android, i am using katalon v6.2.2 and appium v1.14.0, could someone please suggest compatible versions or a solution to the problem.

I have same problem here, “unable to create new remote session”.
Have anyone found a solution yet?

This issue still occurs, with Appium v1.14.2, and Katalon v6.3.3, also with Katalon v6.3.2

1 Like

I followed these steps, and getting this error .

Added these in capabilities as well, but still getting same error message.

@duyluong Could you pls check this?

@libra.soumya17 what android version are you testing on?

Im using Android 10, KS 6.3.3 and Device Oneplus 6t.
I had to try a lot of android capabilities and now it is working.

Hi,i am using Android9 KS7.2.6 Appium 1.16.0 and still got the similar error log as above. Can anyone be kind to give any solutions?

Hai @duyluong,

I want to Ask, how I do in mac. for this steps?

Regards

@achmad.hidayat

Please share some screenshots of your issue.

Hai @duyluong,

this is the screenshoot

i must delete manual, my appium folder and then install again?
what the recomend appium version in katalon v7.6.2?

@achmad.hidayat

Did you accept installing Appium and the apk on your device when running?

yes, I accept.

*one step before, I do uninstall the apk and appium in my real device and then install appium and the apk

@achmad.hidayat
You can install your app on device first then start using existing application ID