Using variable in Object's Properties

kazurayam said:

Your code can be rewritten as follows.

WebUI.verifyElementPresent(    findTestObject(        findTestObject(            'Favourite Documents/Page_Documents List/Test',            [('docTitle') : DocTitle])    ),    50)

Don’t you find nested findTestObject() calls here?

Hi yes
Sorry I copied findTestObject by mistake
Thanks

@Usha_J, was your issue resolved. bumping into the same thing and I can’t wrap my head around it. Tried the above with both css and xpath and I’m running into an unresolved variable each time.

Kind regards

@matthias.dirickx Did you ever get an answer to your question or resolve your issue?
Thanks.

Hi @sgiebner and @matthias.dirickx,

If you’re still having issues, could you please restate the problem you’re trying to solve and share what you’ve tried? There was a lot of back and forth previously and it got a bit confusing.

Thanks,

Chris

Basically I have tried this:

But that did not work out.

What I am doing now as a workaround is basically overriding the method.

There’s a TestObjectSupport class with static methods. One of them resolves a variable (no nested values, just plain simple) I must admin I did not try it again. I’m working on the project again now, so I’ll get back to it. THanks for the mail follow-up by the way!

As for the code: instead of using the piece above I did:

/**
 * (!) Nested varriables / properties are not supported. It may work in some occasions, but it should not be done.
 * @param to -- TestObject, the test object to modify
 * @param props -- Map<String, String>, set of properties.
 *                 Key is property name, value is the value it will be replaced with.
 *     --> The properties are replaced when they are marked like "${propertyHere}".
 * @return TestObject - The modified TestObject object
 */
public static TestObject resolveActivePathForTestObject(TestObject testObject, Map<String, String> props) {
	String resolvedSelector = getActiveSelectorString(testObject)

props.each {key, value ->
		resolvedSelector = resolvedSelector.replaceAll('\\$\\{' + key + '\\}', value)
	}

testObject.setSelectorValue(testObject.getSelectorMethod(), resolvedSelector)

return testObject
}

Using the builltin method would be the way to go of course… But again, did not try it since I just started out with POC-ing Katalon.

Hi Chris,

In WebUI, trying to use a variable in object properties just as Testernik_Testowy was trying to do in Mobile.

Basically, for WebUI trying to reproduce this Mobile code from Testernik_Testowy on Jun '18 above;
Mobile.selectListItemByLabel(findTestObject(‘TEST1/LIST_SELECTION’), randomNumber, 10)

Can this link be restored?
I just get a “No Such Link” error.

https://docs.katalon.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=12419075

@Chris_Trevarthen fyi, I figured this out, so nothing needs to be done.
Bringing back the link in the below would be nice for other users though.

Ive tried with this three types and doesnt work. Im not coder so i dont work much with scripting view…

Doesnt detect the object

Help please

Hi @pgonzalez,

Here are some Katalon docs on how to parameterize a test object. It’s a mix of the Manual and Script views, but it’s pretty good at walking you through it. Please let me know if you need some additional info:

– Chris