Katalon Studio 8.0.0 much slower in opening and saving files

Hi @danpoleary,

Create an empty test case in 8.0.x add variables one by one to the variables tab and save after each. From 5 onwards the save get slower and slower.

We will investigate this issue by following your steps. We hope to find out the root cause and release the fix soon

@kazurayam Thanks for your investigation.

Just for reference, I am seeing the same slow down in version 8.

If I try opening a test suite Katalon isn’t responding anymore for 2 minutes. 25% CPU (so 1 complete core) until something happens again. Katalon 8.0.5
yes, Katalon 8 isn’t usable for us. According to release notes performance should be enhanced but it is way way dicreased.

@Pascal_Donauer

Please provide the .log file

Katalon Studio logs

• Windows logs folder: \config.metadata.log

• macOS logs folder: file:///Applications/Katalon%20Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/config/.metadata/log

Copy.log (256.2 KB)

Hi @kazurayam

I opened this morning 07:15 German Time Katalon and it was finished after 4 minutes.
After that I opened Payment_Flow_Login test which took another 2 minutes.

This log is attached

I have a i5 8th gen, SSD and 16gb RAM.

Katalon was always very slow on my PC. But a lot faster than now. Also a colleague faced this problem now with Katalon 8.

Once @duyluong suggested deleting %KATALON_INSTALLED_DIR%/config/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources

for other Similar case:

This would not be harmful much. Would you try it?

Hi @Pascal_Donauer,

I opened this morning 07:15 German Time Katalon and it was finished after 4 minutes.
After that I opened Payment_Flow_Login test which took another 2 minutes.

Does Payment_Flow_Login test case have variables or not?

Sorry for the late reply. I waited for a notification via mail but didn’t receive any.

So @kazurayam I deleted the folder but without any advantages in loading times.

@duyluong Yes! We use variables extensively. Payflow Login Test has 48 variables partially used multiple times in 10 sub test cases with additional sub test cases.

But I see the issue is know according to analysis of @kazurayam. I only thought it’s solved in 8.0.5 and i am not fully aware of what amout of variables is normal as I don’t know any other company which is using Katalon but us ^^

HI @danpoleary, @Pascal_Donauer, @jmartinelli, @kazurayam

We confirm that this is an performance issue on test case that has many variables since v8.0+. This ticket is fixed in the upcoming release v8.1.0.

Sorry for your inconvenience.

1 Like

I am interested what was the cause of this issue. Could you brief us what?

At least I want to know since which version of KS got this problem. KS 8.0.0? or earlier versions also?

@kazurayam

The root cause is very technical problem that relates to the function that displays test case variables. When calculating some expressions in Groovy, we need to use GroovyClassLoader that need to load the open project classpath. The classpath need to be cached instead of calculating every time to prevent performance issue whenever we use it. Our devs did a mistake when merging code of improving loading project performance. This maybe an issue of our process, we are sorry about that.

This issue happened in v8.0 onward and didn’t happen in v7.9.1 or earlier.

So, with KS 8.0.0 when we opened a test case with 20 variables defined, GroovyClassLoader was invoked 20 times. Is it correct understanding?

In that case, GroovyClassLoader was re-initialized more than 20 times @kazurayam

Thank you @duyluong. This is great news. We are looking forward to that release.

@danpoleary, @Pascal_Donauer, @jmartinelli,

We just released v8.1.0.beta that includes the fix for this issue. Please try it out and help us confirm the issue has been resolved or not before the official release.

2 Likes

Hi @duyluong, we have been running the Beta since Friday, and it is working great so far. No Issues opening or saving test cases with many variables on the variables tab.

Thanks for the quick fix. Our team is extremely happy.

3 Likes

Seems to be fixed also from our side.

1 Like

Any idea when v8.1.0 will be officially released?

Hi all,

This issue is fixed in version 8.1.0. Please see the Release Notes for more details.

Thank you for your attention!

Nam Nguyen.

Sadly, not fixed for me. I am on 8.1.0 and performance did not improve. Opened a ticket Aug 19th with no resolution.