[Suggestion] [Katalon Studio] Last Run info could be saved in a separate fille (not in the .ts file)

Hi there!

I noticed that .ts file, that holds information about a Test Suite, holds information about the last run (lastRun attribute). If you are using Git, this causes local changes whenever someone runs a suite, and ends up causing unnecessary conflicts.

I propose that the lastRun attribute (or any other attribute that can change by just running a test/suite) should be saved in another separate file, so that we can add it to .gitignore and avoid these kinds of conflicts if we so desire.

I know that I can try to work around it using git filter, to ignore specific lines of a file, but it seems a really fragile way of handling this.

I feel it makes sense to have the separation conceptually, but I don’t know how hard would be to implement this change.

What do you guys think?

7 Likes

Upvoted.

I mean, it’s not a huge issue for me, but I don’t need Git following “changes” made just by running a test…

4 Likes

Agreed. Or at least if someone could provide concrete examples on how to avoid this issue. Is git filter the only way?

1 Like

One thing I found is that the _lastRun _attribute is NOT always updated! Sometime I even found this attribute was deleted after I run the test case. But I didn’t find an easy way to reproduce it. I suspect it maybe a bug (5.7)

I wrote a new post:

Please have a look.

Thank you for the feedback. This improvement will be released in 5.10. Please follow up at https://github.com/katalon-studio/katalon-studio/issues/30.

What are you going to do in 5.10?
Are you removing element away from*.ts files?

Yes. The *.ts files will no longer contain the lastRun property. It will be read from the execution logs.

3 Likes

I am using v5.10.1.

I found that the <lastRun> property is still there in a *.ts file. But its value is no longer updated by Katalon Studio. Therefore we would have no more conflicts due to <lastRun> in *.ts files.

1 Like