Parameters in the called test case should not be displayed underlined

I use KS version 7.2.1 on Windows 10.

I made a Test case named “caller”:

import static com.kms.katalon.core.testcase.TestCaseFactory.findTestCase

import com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords as WebUI

def USERNAME = "foo"
def PASSWORD = "bar"

WebUI.callTestCase(findTestCase("callee"), 
	["username": USERNAME, "password": PASSWORD])

I made another Test Case named “callee”:

import com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords as WebUI

WebUI.comment("username is " + username)
WebUI.comment("password is " + password)

When I ran the caller, it worked fine with message:

2020-05-06 13:43:54.326 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2020-05-06 13:43:54.329 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/caller
2020-05-06 13:43:54.790 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2020-05-06 13:43:54.790 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - CALL Test Cases/callee
2020-05-06 13:43:54.796 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - username = foo
2020-05-06 13:43:54.850 INFO  c.k.k.c.keyword.builtin.CommentKeyword   - username is foo
2020-05-06 13:43:54.855 INFO  c.k.k.c.keyword.builtin.CommentKeyword   - password is bar
2020-05-06 13:43:54.857 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END CALL Test Cases/callee
2020-05-06 13:43:54.857 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2020-05-06 13:43:54.867 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/caller

These are performing OK. But what I want to note is …

The parameters in the callee script (username and password) are displayed underlined. This underline confuses me. Usually IDE presents a variable name with underline to tell us that the variable is undefined; error is here, you should fix it.

In the above example the variable username and password are regarded valid by Katalon, therefore the test runs OK. But Katalon displays these 2 variables with underline, indicating these are NOT properly declared. Katalon looks inconsistent.

I am afraid that beginners would find this inconsistency hard to understand.

I tried one thing. I added username in the Variable tab of the callee test case.

I expected to see that username is displayed without underline and password is displayed with underline.

But in fact, there was no change. username variable is still displayed with underline even when I add username in the Variable tab.

This experiment raises a question to me. For what purpose the Variables tab of a Test Case is designed? Is this tab necessary? It looks useless.

@kazurayam

The variables declared in Variables Tab are used in data-driven testing, especially in Test Suites. Groovy variables are not exposed to Katalon as those that can be used for data-driven, only variables declared in Variables Tab are recognized as suck.