Log Viewer slows down your tests. How to prevent it?

I have published a demo project at GitHub.

Problem to solve

Katalon Studio’s “Log Viewer” slows down your test execution significantly. Are you aware of this fact?

Maybe not. So I will report my analysis here. I can explain how to make it better.

Measurement result

Let me go straight to the point. The following table shows the result I measured how long a Test Suite took to finish running. I used a single Test Suite while I applied several variation of the “Log Viewer” setups.

As the following table shows, in the case 1, my test suite took 5 minutes 37 seconds to finish. But the same code finished in 25 seconds in the case 9 . This difference proves that the “Log Viewer” slows down your tests. How you set up Log Viewer — it matters significantly to the speed of your tests.

Case log executed test steps Widget is Mode log level scroll duration duration graph
1 Enabled Attached Tree - enabled 5 minutes 37 seconds ##################################
2 Enabled Attached Tree - locked 3 m 25 s #####################
3 Enabled Attached Table All enabled 3 m 4 s ##################
4 Enabled Attached Table All locked 1 m 36 s #########
5 Enabled Attached Table F+E+W enabled 56 s ######
6 Enabled Attached Table F+E+W locked 1 m 10 s #######
7 Enabled Detached Tree - enabled 5 m 35 s ##################################
8 Enabled Detached Tree - locked 4 m 15 s ##########################
9 Enabled Closed - - - 25 s ###
X1 Disabled Attached Tree - enabled 3 m 53 s #######################
X2 Disabled Attached Tree - locked 3 m 2 s ##################
X3 Disabled Attached Table All enabled 2 m 33 s ###############
X4 Disabled Attached Table All locked 1 m 41 s ##########
X5 Disabled Attached Table F+E+W enabled 2 m 9 s #############
X6 Disabled Attached Table F+E+W locked 1 m 59 s ############
X7 Disabled Detached Tree - enabled 5 m 3 s ##############################
X8 Disabled Detached Tree - locked 4 m 3 s ########################
X9 Disabled Closed - - - 25 s ###

Code to run

I made a Test Suite, a Test Case, and a CSV file as a test fixture.

Test Suite TS1

I made a Test Suite TS1 , which applies “A. Execution from test suites” as described in the article “Data-driven testing approach with Katalon Studio”.

TS1 calls the Test Case printID for all rows in the data.csv file, which contains 1000 lines. TS1 repeats calling the printID script 1000 times.

TS1

Test Case printID

I made a Test Case Test Case/printID , which is minimal:

import com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords as WebUI

WebUI.comment("ID=${ID}")

This printID declares a variable ID as: printID_variable

The ID variable will be populated by TS1 with data picked up from data.csv file.

data.csv file

I made a CSV file: data.csv.

ID

This file contains 1000 lines. TS1 reads this, iterate all lines, find the value of ID column, which is passed to the printID test case.

How I measured the duration

When I say “the TS1 took 5 minutes 37 seconds”, how did I record when it started and when it ended?

As soon as I clicked the run button run button to start TS1 , a “Job Progress” modal window will open.

Job Progress

In the “Job Progress” window, I found a figure, like 37/1000 which goes on incrementing. This means, the Test Suite TS1 is repeating to call the Test Case printID for 1000 times as total, and it has finished 37 times.

I used a Timer app on my Android mobile phone to measure the duration. I started it as soon as I clicked the run button; wait for a while. When the “Job Progress” showed 1000/1000 , I stopped the timer. This is the way how I measured the duration of TS1 .

Log Viewer setup options

Here I will enumerate the options of Log Viewer setups.

Log Viewer widget can be Attached/Detached/Closed

Usually a Log Viewer widget is attached in the Katalon Studio’s window.

attached

By a right-clicking the name tab, you can detach the Log Viewer widget from the Katalon Studio’s window. The following image shows how it looks like.

detachable

detached

Even if detached, the Log Viewer widget is still alive and in action.

You can even close the window of the detached Log Viewer widget.

closed

Once Log Viewer widget has disappeared, Log Viewer is no longer there.

If you stop and restart Katalon Studio GUI, the Log Viewer widget will revive.

Mode of Log Viewer

Log Viewer has 2 formats. Namely, “Log view” and “Tree view”. You can choose by toggling the button.

view type toggle

Log view

log view

Tree view

tree view

Log type options

In the Log view, you can select which type of logs to be displayed: All, Info, Passed, Failed, Error, Warning, Not Run

log type options

Step Execution Log

If you select “All” in the Log view and run a test, you will see quite a lot of “START” and “END” logs are printed.

START_END_LOG

If you deselect “All”, then no START and END logs will be visible.

Log executed test steps - Enabled/Disabled

The START and END logs are also called “step execution logs” .

In the “Project Settings > Execution” dialog, you will find an option: “Log executed test steps”: Log executed test steps

If you have a Katalon Studio Enterprise license, you can disable logging START and END.

If you do not have the Enterprise license, you will be advised to purchase it.

Enterprise license required

Scroll Lock

Log Viewer widget has a toggle button with “Lock”-like icon, which is labeled “Scroll Lock”.

Scroll Lock

If you toggle it ON, the Log Viewer stops automatic scrolling. Even when a test emits thousands of logs, the “Log view” will show only 10 or 20 lines at the top only and stay quiet. But the “tree view” will continue trembling even if it is “Scroll Locked” while a test is running.

How is “Log Viewer” setup initially

When you newly installed Katalon Studio or you have upgrade it to a newer version, the Log Viewer will be automatically re-configured as follows:

• Log Viewer widget is attached into the Katalon Studio window.
  • Log Viewer shows Tree view, rather than Log view, initially
  • In the Log view, “All” level is selected initially
  • The “Scroll Lock” is off initially

I believe that most of the Katalon Studio users are using it with this Log Viewer setups unchanged. This means, you are running your tests as the slowest “case1”.

Conclusion

If your test is running quick enough and you are happy with it, forget me! You don’t need my advise.

In order to make your tests run faster, I would advise you to follow this:

1. You should not use the Tree view of the Log Viewer; you should prefer the Log view.
  2. In the Log view, you should never select the “All” level to print, as it emits bulky “step execution logs”.
  3. In the Log view, You should select only the levels you need: e.g, “Failure” + “Error” + “Warning”. This will reduce the volume of logs to be printed. You can add “Info” if you like.
  4. If you have an Enterprise license, you should set the “Log executed test steps” disabled.
  5. You could detach the Log Viewer widget and close it. Then your tests will run at the highest speed without being slowed down by the Log Viewer.
9 Likes

How much memory is used? how much CPU is occupied?

When I execute the Test Suite TS1 , how much memory is used? how much CPU is occupied? I wanted to examine this.

I used a profiling tool VisualVM and had a look.

The conditions are:

• Machine: MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018)
  • Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
  • Physical memory: 16 GB
  • Katalon Studio: v8.2.0
  • JVM arguments in the katalon.ini :
    • XX:+UseG1GC
    • XX:+UseStringDeduplication
    • Xms256m
    • Dfile.encoding=utf-8
    • Xmx2048m
  • VisualVM versioin2.1.1
  • run the TS1 with “case 1” settings of Log Viewer

memory

Let me enumerate what I observed.

1. The Heap size stayed under 821 MB.
  2. The size of used heap moved in the range of 240 MB - 700 MB. The Garbage Collection mechanism was working properly. The heap used by Katalon Studio’s Log Viewer is well managed.
  3. The CPU usage went in the rage of 15 % - 30 %. It seemed it would not blow up to 100 %.

Even if the TS1 repeated calling the printID for 5000 times, 16000 times or more, I suppose CPU and memory usage by TS1 will be the same. I think that Log Viewer is not guilty for memory usage.

Additionally I tried the case 9 (Log Viewer is detached & closed) with VisualVM. I saw that CPU usage went in the range of 15 % - 30 %, but the test finished far quicker.

1 Like

Time lag

I will give you another surprise.

Test Suite TS1 actually finishes processing data far earlier before the Log Viewer flushes all logs.

I have done an experiment. In Katalon Studio v8.2.0, I opened both the Console widget and the Log Viewer widget. The Log Viewer is configured to show Tree view.

Console_LogViewer

I measured how long the TS1 takes to finish. The result was interesting:

Widget duration duration graph
In Console 4 min 5 sec #########################
In Log Viewer 6 min 10 sec #####################################

After 4 minutes 5 seconds, TS1 finished processing all data entries. At that time, the Job Progress monitor showed 736/1000. It was simply wrong information.

1 Like

In the other way around, the stream of logs is so superfluous that the Log Viewer is unable to cope with it.

How to solve this difficulty? I would advise Katalon Team to stop logging test step executions (START and END) completely. It’s no problem, as nobody requires it.

1 Like

@anon46315158
@Russ_Thomas

Would you do me a favour?

I did my measurement with “Project Settings > Execution > Log executed test steps” Enabled. If you turn the option Disabled, the result would be quite different. I am eager to know it. Could you measure the additional 9 cases with the option Disabled and share the result here? I ask you this because I do not have an Enterprise license.

1 Like

well, guess what, i dont have an enterprise licence either.
side note, this is one of the reason i shutted down my previous account, i had a promise for a lifetime licence due to my ‘amazing’ contribution to the comunity.
ofcourse, was never fulfilled.
but i was punished by another respected member of the comunity for ‘aggresive whatever comments’ (i wont give names).
so, i chosed my path.
the only thing i can do, provided i find some free time, is to use your benchmark suite and repeat the tests in linux environment.
because i still believe this product has some great potential and at least some members of the comunity deserve my respect.
but… you know me… i am lazy, so it is not a promise :slight_smile:

1 Like

No more I would ask you.

I could extend my measurement to cover the cases where “Log executed test steps” Disabled.

How did I do it? — I opened a new Katalon Account, which enabled me a 30 days trial of Enterprise license.

1 Like

“Logging executed test steps” matters

The Test Case printID, which is called by the Test Suite TS1, is minimal. It has only one line:

When called, printID emits just a few lines of step execution logs like,

I added another Test Case printID_manytimes, which is called by another Test Suite TS2. The test case has a loop of calling a keyword 10 times.

for (int i in 0..10) {
}

With this loop, this test case will emit 10 times more of START + END logs into the Log Viewer.

I examined 3 cases where

• caseY1 : Execute TS2, with “Log executed test steps” option Enabled, with the Log Viewer is attached
  • caseY2 : Execute TS2, with “Log executed test steps” option Disabled, with the Log Viewer is attached
  • caseY3 : Execute TS2, with “Log executed test steps” option Disabled, with the Log Viewer is closed

The following is the result.

case Suite Step Execution Log Log Viewer Mode duration duration graph
Y1 TS2 Enabled Attached Tree 25 min 17 secs #########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########1#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########2#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########3#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########4#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########5#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########6#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########7#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########8#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########9#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########0#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########1#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########2#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########3#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########4#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#########5##
Y2 TS2 Disabled Attached Tree 6 min 11 secs #########+#########+#########+#######
Y3 TS2 Disabled Closed - 0 min 43 secs ####

Impressive, isn’t it?

It is ridiculous to wait such a long time for the Log Viewer to display the superfluous “START” & “END” logs.

Many Katalon Studio users are running long-haul tests (hours, days …). Now I will tell you; your test is the same as the case Y1. Now you know how to improve.

1 Like

Let me assuem, I would write a Test Case printID_manytimes_withUtil as follows:

import my.Util

Uil.doTheJob(ID)

and add a Groovy class my.Util:

package my
class Util {
    static void doTheJob(String id) {
        for (int i in 0..10) {
            WebUI.comment("ID=${id}")
        }
    }
}

Then I want to create a new Test Suite TS3 which calls the Test Case printID_manytimes_withUtil with the LogViewer attached. I suppose, the TS3 will run far faster than Y1. I will check it later.

1 Like

@kazurayam
you can also try with a ‘ping-pong’ test, see:

up to you how many iterations you set.
guaranteed will put some pressure on katalon!
have fun! :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Test with Custom Keyword runs faster

As you see in the above section, the Test Suite T2 in the case Y1 took over 25 minutes whereas the same T2 in the case Y2 took only 6 minutes. Why such a difference? It depends on if the “Log executed test steps” option is Enabled or Disabled. If you have an Enterprise license, you can disable the option and enjoy a faster test run. But if you don’t, you can not disable it. Is there any other way to make you test run faster in the Free version? .

Yes, there is a way. You can rewrite your Test Case script so that you make a combination of a Custom Keyword and a short Test Case that just calls the Custom Keyword. Your Test Case will delegate the Custom Keyword to perform concrete test processing.

Let me tell you what I examined.

I made a Custom Keyword class Keywords/my/Util.groovvy :

package my

import com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords as WebUI

import com.kms.katalon.core.annotation.Keyword

public class Util {

@Keyword
	static void printID10times(String id) {
		for (int i in 0..10) {
			WebUI.comment("ID=${id}")
		}
	}
}

Please note that the Keyword printID10times() does just the same as what the Test Case printID_manytimes does in the TS2 .

I made a new Test Case Test Cases/printID_manytimes_usingKeyword . This just invokes the Custom Keyword passing parameter values.

CustomKeywords.'my.Util.printID10times'(ID)

I made a new Test Suite TS3 which calls the Test Case printID_manytimes_usingKeyword for 1000 times while passing data from a CSV file.

The following table shows the measurement result. Please find the case Y4 result.

case Suite Step Execution Log Log Viewer Mode duration duration graph
Y1 TS2 Enabled Attached Tree 25 min 17 secs
Y2 TS2 Disabled Attached Tree 6 min 11 secs #########+#########+#########+#######
Y3 TS2 Disabled Closed - 0 min 43 secs ####
Y4 TS3 Enabled Attached Tree 9 min 30 secs #########+#########+#########+#########+#########+#######

In the case Y4, TS3 ran in 9 minutes. It is not as fast as the case Y2 ( TS2 in 6 minutes), but is much better than the case Y1 ( TS2 in 25 minutes).

Why the case Y4 ran faster than the case Y1?

It is because that Katalon Studio does not log executed test steps within a Custom Keyword . If you look at the Log view with “All” level selected while you ran TS3 , you will see no verbose Start action : and End action : logs appearing. This makes the case Y4 light-weighted.

TS3 doesn't log executed test steps

The Test Suite TS3 will run the same both in the Enterprise version and the Free version.

2 Likes

I think I have written all I wanted to say about this issue “Log Viewer slows down tests”.

1 Like

Just one more. I am interested to see how large the execution0.log files are for each cases; what type of records are there in a execution0.log XML file; how many of each types of record are contained. I will write a script that calculate the counts. This will enable me to verify my guesses how Katalon Studio is logging and how it affects to the test performance.

3 Likes

Let me repeat this:

@Coty
@Jass
@duyluong

Today, I received an email message from @vu.tran. That wrote:

Here are your top 3 topics that community users love:

1. Log Viewer slows down your tests. How to prevent it? - Product Forums / Katalon Studio - Katalon Community

OK. This post seems to be loved by Katalon users.

However, I believe that none of the Katalon developers have read this in the last 12 months. It seems that my voice does not matter to you. So I would repeat my 3 requirements to Katalon Developers.

1. Users shoud not use the Tree view of the Log Viewer at all. Katalon Studio should take the Table view ON as the default choice.

2. In the Table view, the “ALL” button should be OFF as default.

3. The project setting “to disable Step Excectuion Log” should be available for the free version users. It should not be an option only available for paying licensees.

I my humble opinion, these 3 points are your mistakes. Please correct them.

2 Likes

Hi @kazurayam, thank you for your feedback. Your message is well-received from our team.

The holiday greeting email that sent from me is a summary based on users’ engagement of posts that you contributed on our forum. Thank you for always sharing good feedback for all users’ benefit. I’m sorry for any inconvenience that my email confused you.

I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

Let me make a note. The Log Viewer exists only in Katalon Studio GUI. Katalon Runtime Engine does not have any GUI. So, your tests would run faster in KRE than KS.