As of Chrome 115, Tools > Update WebDrivers > Chrome no longer works

I thought that the ChromeDriver v115.x wants to find the binary of “Chrome for Testing” as default.

I installed the Chrome for Testing into my Mac as documented

$ cd ~
$ npx @puppeteer/browsers install chrome@stable

by this operation I got a new directory ~/chrome/mac-115.0.5790.102/chrome-mac-x64/Google Chrome for Testing.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome for Testing created by the npx command. This is the binary of Chrome for Testing.

I moved the Google Chrome for Testing.app directory to the /Applications directory of my macOS.

Please note that I got a new “Google Chrome for Testing.app” beside the “Google Chome.app”.

I executed my Test Case again. It ran sucessfully in a window of “Chrome for Testing”, not in the window of usual “Chrome” browser.

The test case emitted a file chromedriver.log in the project directory, which included a line:

[1690769014.572][INFO]: Launching chrome: /Applications/Google Chrome for Testing.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome for Testing --allow-pre-commit-input --disable-background-networking --disable-client-side-phishing-detection --disable-default-apps --disable-hang-monitor --disable-popup-blocking --disable-prompt-on-repost --disable-sync --enable-automation --enable-logging --load-extension=/Applications/Katalon Studio.app/Contents/Eclipse/configuration/resources/extensions/Chrome/Smart Wait --log-level=0 --no-first-run --no-service-autorun --password-store=basic --remote-debugging-port=0 --test-type=webdriver --use-mock-keychain --user-data-dir=/var/folders/7m/lm7d6nx51kj0kbtnsskz6r3m0000gn/T/.org.chromium.Chromium.589ONH data:,

This line proves that the ChromeDriver v115.x launches “Chrome for Testing” as default; and it ran successful on my machine.

I learned that the ChromeDriver v115.x does NOT launch the ordinal Chrome browser for daily browsling as default any longer.

If you want to use ChromeDriver v115 + ordinal Chrome browser, you can do it by explicitly specifying the path of the binary of Chrome browser.