Windows uwp app testing possible?

I am using Katalon web testing for some years now and am quite satisfied about this tool.
Now i am wondering if I could setup tests for windows uwp apps as well. The app has not a regular exe extension, but has .UWP

Should this be possible without any problems?

In the meanwhile I am a step further in my problem …
I manage to start the app via a teststep “Start Application”.
The next thing to manage is to open the app with ObjectSpy to determine elements. Here it fails again with errors telling that certain dll could not be found (sharedlibrary,dll, mrt100_app.dll, msvcp140_app.dll, vcruntime140_app.dll). What should be done to overcome this? Anyone who recognize this?

Hello @m_de_boer

You may find an answer in the following thread. Otherwise, feel free to reply if your issue is different.

Jass

Hi @Jass,

Thanks for replying on my problem. As I wrote I managed to start the uwp App via a teststep ‘start application’ with the right parameters to get get it really started.

To start the uwp App in the Windows Spy does not work however. I get the message that cetain dll’s could not be found. But they are realy somewhere on my computer if I search them via Windows Explorer. What dll’s Katalon is looking for is described earlier in my posts. Have you any idea how Katalon can find the dll’s?

If your UWP app is not already running, start it by pressing Ctrl+F5. Open the Coded UI Test Builder dialog by placing the cursor in the CodedUITestMethod1 method and then choosing Test > Generate Code for Coded UI Test > Use Coded UI Test Builder. Add the controls to the UI control map. I hope this information helps!

@Lewis-H, thanks for your suggestion, but I really have no clue what you are talking about. In which screen or application (or perhaps any screen) should I press Ctrl+F5? And I am not using Coded UI Test Builder at all. Never did. Is this necessary to test an uwp-App via Katalon and Windows Spy? Please, tell me more what you are trying to say.

Hi @m_de_boer,

To start UWP application, the application execute file should be:

• ApplicationID if your app is published on Microsoft store
  • PackageFamilyName!Application ID if your app is still in development mode.

For better investigation, you can share your app with us. Our devs will check later.

Thanks

He Duyluong,
How simple! Just as you wrote. Filling the field Application File with the PackageFamilyName!Application ID works! I will go on discovering how to make a testcase. Thanks a lot!