What's "Binary Statements"?

The documentation on Binary Statements doesn’t get clear about what these things are.

What’s their purpose? What are they used for? Are they just a NULL operation? Some polyfill or are they some piece of art?

Please clarify and revise the docs.

The documentation on Binary Statements doesn’t get clear about what these things are.

Keeping this simple, they are Code.

I guess the team needed a generic term for something that grouped many different things. They could have called them “Techie Cody Thingies” but instead they chose Binary Statements.

What’s their purpose?

Well that depends on the line of code.

What are they used for?

GTD. (Or GSD as some might say.)

Are they just a NULL operation?

Not usually. Though I do look back at my old stuff sometimes and wonder B)

Some polyfill or are they some piece of art?

No and perhaps, in that order. I’d love to see my code as a work of art but see my previous answer.

As far as I can see, that feature isn’t grouping anything. It doesn’t even do anything.

Any clarifications on what it does?

Any clarifications on what it does?

The document you linked to shows some good examples.

Nope, it only shows how to set up some useless expressions. It doesn’t tell what these expressions are used for.

The screenshot of the Script section even seems more useless.

If I’d write “1-2” in any language, every compiler will complain that this is an empty expression.

Nope, it only shows how to set up some useless expressions. It doesn’t tell what these expressions are used for.

The application of the examples is down to you. Good, or bad, they’re examples, hints, suggestions, nothing more.

The screenshot of the Script section even seems more useless.

If I’d write “1-2” in any language, every compiler will complain that this is an empty expression.

Strange you seem to know what a compiler is yet you make a bold and sweeping statement about “every compiler” which is categorically not true. Try that same statement in Groovy. Java. C. JavaScript. Hell, while you’re at it, lob it into the address bar of your browser.

If you want to improve the documentation, be my guest. If you can improve what’s there, Katalon and many others will appreciate it.

I’m done here.

Russ Thomas said:

The application of the examples is down to you. Good, or bad, they’re examples, hints, suggestions, nothing more.

How shall I supposedly know where to apply an expression if particularly that’s what’s missing in the documentation? There’s no “see also”, no example of where to apply it. That’s what I’m saying.

Russ Thomas said:

Strange you seem to know what a compiler is yet you make a bold and sweeping statement about “every compiler” which is categorically not true. Try that same statement in Groovy. Java. C. JavaScript. Hell, while you’re at it, lob it into the address bar of your browser.

JavaScript and Groovy are interpreted languages with no separate compilation stage. Yet, I agree: I should have written “decent compiler”. You are right.

Russ Thomas said:

If you want to improve the documentation, be my guest. If you can improve what’s there, Katalon and many others will appreciate it.

Again: How shall I supposedly know the content to amend the documentation with if I’m not part of the Katalon development team? That’s what this thread is about.

I too am interested in specific examples of the application of these “binary statements”. The documentation, as @Power_Bower mentioned, is lacking detail in this feature’s implementation.

The company I work for is looking to use Katalon for a QA automation project. I was hoping to find helpful guidance around this particular function. Unfortunately, instead, I find a condescending member of the community dodging a fairly specific question, then indirectly insulting the individual asking said question.

@Russ_Thomas, I hope you don’t approach other’s honest questions as you have in this thread. The documentation is clearly lacking in this subject. Just because you seem to grasp the concept, doesn’t necessarily mean others do. The amount of value you have provided for anyone who reads this thread is non-existent, and doesn’t paint the @Katalon_Studio community in a positive light.

I hope someone with a little more respect for others can take a moment and perhaps share some examples as to how this feature works.

Search works. Go see.

Agreed. I’ve harped on about a number of them during my time here.

But it is “open source”. You or I can change it.

Well, obviously. That’s why I help others. Freely.

You’re welcome to your opinion.

This community is generally very helpful. You tend to find what you bring to it.

FWIW, I’ll continue to help out where I can. You don’t have to read my posts and you certainly are welcome to “report me” to anyone you see fit.

@Liam_B Please see if any improvement can be made to this docs article.

A word to the wise… I may not “be done here”.

I’m not a proponent of willful disregard for other’s feelings, not least the feelings of the Katalon community as a whole. This is a community I feel strongly about. I put effort in here, freely. The community has been painted in a negative light by a single, self-elected arbiter of what is and is not an appropriate response. Cherry-picking fractional parts of a multiple-response exchange while ignoring the majority (and indeed the primary response) is as disingenuous an argument as I can possibly imagine.

IF this thread is allowed to be left as is, I may choose to defend myself and this community with as much vigor as I deem appropriate. More vigorously than I have already.

I sincerely hope it does not come to that.

@devalex88, thank you for addressing our concern!

@Liam_B, thank you for taking on this issue. I have some experience with product documentation. As soon as it’s appropriate for me, I fully intend on contributing to the documentation (and other areas) for Katalon Studio. You guys have a great product full of tremendous potential!

Cheers!