What is best way to manage Object Repository for large application?

Hi,

We have big application with too many web objects.Its very hard to manage the object Repository.

1.What is the best way to manage?
2.How can we use Page Object Model in Katalon Studio?

Thanks,
Manjinder

For a large application, it is unmanageable, IMO.

If youā€™re comfortable writing/creating your own Test Objects (ā€œliveā€ in memory) you donā€™t need to use the OR at all.

Search for POM and Page Object Model. Thereā€™s a post from @Brandon_Hein which explains a pretty good method. Plus, Brandon has a nice way of storing the details for his objects in the same model.

I knock on Brandonā€™s door and see if heā€™s availableā€¦

When are you saying ā€œwriting/creating your own Test Objects (ā€œliveā€ in memory)ā€.Does it mean that create test object by own without record and play mode?

Yes. It may come as a shock to you, but you donā€™t need:

1 - The Recorder
2 - The Object Repository

But like I said, you need to be comfortable writing code (in the Script view).

1 Like

Hereā€™s a link to a post where I give an example of how to implement the POM in Katalon:

1 Like

I have only been using KS for about 6 months, so I still use the Object Repository. I create folders under the OR and put the objects of one page together. I also manually change the names of the objects from what the Spy Web finds to better show the section and accompanying label associated with the object. Currently, I have 45 folders (pages) under the Object Repository. Some folder have only about 50 objects, some have hundreds.

Then I drag and drop the objects from the OR into the Script page (I also remove the phrase, Object Repository/ from all text to reduce the statement length after every section.) So far, I have been enjoying myself doing it this way.

3 Likes

I believe this was the original vision for Katalon Studioā€™s ā€œbuilt inā€ implementation of the Page Object Model, so Iā€™m glad that itā€™s working for you :slight_smile:

Iā€™m building my OR as well by creating folders and putting the objects from each page together. The mistake I made was to add my folders in a drill down fashion without labeling the top first, before adding the second folder (for a sub menu). Now, the top menu items are in line with the sub menu and I cannot drag and drop to fix. So, Looks like Iā€™ll need to delete my second and third drill down folders to keep my OR ā€œneatā€. Or is there a way to rearrange the objects?

The Administration Menu folder should be below the ā€˜Systemā€™ objectā€¦

I might be missing your point butā€¦

I just created a new folder called XXX under Pages and dragged under Instrument.

You can drag files into a folder.
You can drag a folder into a folder.
You cannot drag a folder into a file (obviously)

Hi Russ,

Say you have multiple objects under your Instrument folder. And the xxx folder falls inside of those objects. ie: your Instrument folder having an object named zzz
My objects under Corp_Top_Menu_Items are interrupted by the Corp_Administration_Menu folder. I need to drag it under ā€˜Systemā€™. Is there a way to do that?

What is System? Iā€™m not familiar with that icon. Is it a file?

Itā€™s a link. All the objects in that folder are links to click

Ah sorry. My bad. I didnā€™t fully comprehend your original post :man_facepalming:

I never use the OR. But let me go play and see what I can come up with (hopefully, a little more than nothing).

Right. So the ... icon is a test object which is akin to a file (in this sense itā€™s ā€œatomicā€ - there isnā€™t anything smaller than it). In which case, it canā€™t contain anything.

My suggestion:

1. Create a new folder called SystemX
    1.1 Be sure to create it at the correct ā€œlevelā€.
  2. Place everything you need inside SystemX.
  3. Rename System to something else.
  4. Rename SystemX to System.
  5. Be happy.

Iā€™m creating the OR in the path that the test will go for that part of the application. Unfortunately, we will not be able to let the last object in the previous folder determine what the next folder will be called :frowning:

I donā€™t understand, sorry.

You will not be able to put a Folder (the icon which looks like a file folder, which contains your page objects), under an Element (or Object), which in the image above has an icon that looks like a textbox with dots (or a cassette tape if you are old enough to know what that is) but you could create a Folder with the same name as the Element to assist you with the linkage of Elements to pages. I think you might want the word Page attached to the Folder, like System Page, or Settings Page to assist with recognition.